Harry's PGA Show Travelogue

Re: Harry's PGA Show Travelogue

Craig Mac said:
Is that comment for me? Because I saw other comments in the threads, so obviously not too busy to add a quick caption...

maybe they only have time to do a few comments.

maybe they only have time to do a few comments.

I'm guessing that you don't know that Craig is one of the founding members and a mod here. He knows the routine.

Diane said:
I'm guessing that you don't know that Craig is one of the founding members and a mod here. He knows the routine.

I didn't know this. but if that's the case.....he can imagine how hectic it might be?

I don't disagree that captions would help.....but i'm a beggar and i'm not choosey.

I didn't know this. but if that's the case.....he can imagine how hectic it might be?

I don't disagree that captions would help.....but i'm a beggar and i'm not choosey.

I can't speak for Craig, but I didn't see it as a complaint, just something he would like to see. If you don't ask - you'll never receive.

While we would love to add some captions, at this point, we are working hard to get up the few threads we can each night. Starting work for this show at 6am each morning and finishing at well after midnight each night does not give us a lot of time. Once we get back to our regular schedule, we will have hundreds of more threads that we can go into detail with, but for the first few, it is pictures so that you can feel as though you are at the show with us.

Ditto what JB said. I haven't gotten to bed earlier that 2 a.m. the past three nights, and I haven't slept past 6 a.m. the past three mornings. Comments can and will be added later, but if we stopped to add comments, even short ones, in the threads, we would be able to post far fewer threads than we have. Each day, we take in the neighborhood of 1,000 to 1,500 images. . . plus video. It's a task just to figure out which photos go with which company, if the images need to be cropped or rotated, etc.

And the surfing that goes on is while we wait for the photos to upload to our image server and we try to answer a few questions in the threads if we can.

sounds like THP needs to bring a larger team next year for the PGA Merchandise Show.

I appreciate the work you all are doing and am looking forward to more detailed posts later on.

Any chance ya'll could take a look at this?

Perfect Roll: We've all spent a rainy day working on our putting indoors. But rarely have we had a chance to change the speed on our indoor green.

Perfect Roll has changed that. The same company that brought Birdie Ball is offering a 2-foot-wide putting strip that golfers can alter the stimp reading – or the speed of the greens – by changing the surface. Golfers can putt on stimps that range from 7 to 14, depending upon the thickness of the strip. A thickness of one-eighth of an inch, for instance, translates to a stimp of 11, compared to a one-half-inch thickness for a 9 stimp.

The putting strips retail from $4-$9 a square foot, depending on which stimp you're looking for.

sounds like THP needs to bring a larger team next year for the PGA Merchandise Show.

What they need is a team of people back at the hotel, doing nothing but getting images and video to the web site.

What they need is a team of people back at the hotel, doing nothing but getting images and video to the web site.

I can be over in 20 minutes... :D

Just pay for my toll and get me some free swag and food and we'll call it even.

I'd volunteer for that just to get away from this lousy weather for a few days.

I'm with you MO- it's horribly cold again so I would be more than happy to sit out on the patio of the hotel and do nothing but upload pics all week!

I'll let JB and GG give the details about the dinner as a whole, but we just got back from the THP dinner with (just to name a few) SeeMore putters, Sligo Wear, Lija, Bridgestone, Cleveland, Ian Poulter Designs, Wilson Staff, Golftini, Quagmire, SubSeventy, and many others (my apologies to anyone I forgot . . . it's not an intentional snub, I'm just exhausted) and I'd like to give my perspective as someone who was just getting to know the majority of these people for the first time.

I'd have to say that it was a gigantic success. The food was great, the stories were great (the SeeMore folks had me laughing until I was choking - that just doesn't happen - and remember, I don't drink), and the women were smart and beautiful.

I'm very much a homebody and I was sort of dreading the socializing because it's JB and GG who know all these people. But the evening was as easy as could be. There were some stellar personalities in that room tonight. Not one person I even remotely disliked. I completely understand why JB and GG invited these folks to the dinner.

As I mentioned earlier, none of use have gotten a lot of sleep the past few days and I need to pack because I'm going straight from the show to the airport tomorrow, so we won't be uploading any pictures tonight. It's just too time intensive and we are too tired. So I apologize for that, but I just have to get some sleep tonight. But if it's any consolation, because of THP's relationship with the companies, you guys and gals have already seen almost everything in terms of equipment that we saw today. There were really no surprises in terms of new clubs. Don't get me wrong, I hope my club photos are exciting and entertaining, but THP has enough juice in the industry that we've received and reviewed most of the stuff long before the show.

As one of the primary photographers (that hobby I abandoned several years ago finally came in handy), I really enjoyed telling companies "No thanks, we prefer to do all of our photography in-house with original images." when I was asked if I wanted stock images from the company. I guess a lot of people with websites or blogs rely on the companies photos rather than the (gigantic) hassle of taking their own. What fun is that for the readers???

I'm sorry I haven't been able to update this thread more during the show, but there just wasn't time. If I stopped to post in the thread, I would have to sacrifice some event coverage. I will do my best over the next few days and weeks to give descriptions and anecdotes. I will also try to answer any questions that people may have.

I will say this though, working this show was very, very hard work. But I think what we did at the PGA Merchandise Show this year has positioned THP to move to the next level. Every company we talked to knew about us (including statistics on the website and information about the first issue of the magazine) and almost every one commented on how fast we have grown and become a major player in the industry.

. . . I will say this though, working this show was very, very hard work. But I think what we did at the PGA Merchandise Show this year has positioned THP to move to the next level. Every company we talked to knew about us (including statistics on the website and information about the first issue of the magazine) and almost every one commented on how fast we have grown and become a major player in the industry.

Ain't that the truth.

Harry - the THP dinner was awesome!! Met some great people - saw some old friends. It is great what you guys do. Thank you again for the invite and all that you, JB, GG and THP do for the golf business!! Truely a great company!!

and drink a few cervezas

mucho cervezas:banana:

Great job by all at the show. It will be fun to read about all the companies that were there. Harry, interesting point about THP taking their own pictures. I am sure THP is in the extreme minority of companies doing that. Some would say why bother? I say I can get a stock photo where the lighting is perfect, had botox injections, they have airbrushed off 20 lbs from the companies website. I don't always like those. The in hand pictures are a staple at THP and it should stay that way. Bring 10 photographers, 10 writers and let's do this thing.

Thanks again for all that you do, JB and GG. Harry mentioned how busy you guys are leading up to the show. Not counting the everyday running of this forum and daily reviews. We say it after every contest and giveaway but, you have to know we mean it. Thank you.

This forum is alot like small town. Everybody knows everybody. You can talk to the Mayor or the school principle at the the coffee shop. It's just that our little "town" has a 40 story skyscraper at the center of it with "THP" in neon on the top.

Last edited:
I know this is merely a repeat of other posts, including my own on other threads but, A big thank you and kudos to JB,GG, Harry and whoever elseshould be thanks and recognized for the work of the past week. I, like many here and very happy that THP is being acknowledged and spoken of as such a powerful force in this industry. I have only been here for a few months but am very proud to be part of this collection of people who make up this site.

Delta = fail. Again.

After a delay (we were supposed to take off from Atlanta at 6:45 and its 7:30), we were next to take off and they turned the plane around and we are going back to the gate (gate is FAR from runway) because of "a smell in they back off the plane."

Are you kidding?!?!? Someone farts and we have to go back to the gate?!?

Can't remember if I posted about how they treated me on the way down, but this is par for the course.

Worst.airline.ever.

Excellent. They turned off all of the power. (stuffy and hot. )

Fireman just came through the cabin.

Great.

Back