hitting down with driver

gvick

Reaction score
Handicap
Thanks for all the great advice.My problem is I tend to lunge into the ball and hit down on it with the driver and fairway woods.I can hit the ball with my irons but have difficulty transferring the swing to my driver. I learned to play with irons only and I think this is part of the problem.I learned how to hit down and through the ball but cannot seem to get that out of my head with the driver. I end up over the top with a ballooning ballflight. I have tried teeing the ball further forward but that just causes me to lunge further. The swing looks fine with a mirror or on videotape w/out a ball so I do not think it is a mechanical problem. I need a drill or mental fix in regards to how to let the driver swing through the hitting zone and catch the ball on the ascending portion of the swing. I have really tried to work with awareness and concentration but this seems to fall apart when I am on the teebox. I spent so much time training my body how to hit down and through the ball that I cannot seem to shake this. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated. Typical drive is 220-230 with fade/slice. Typical 8 iron is 135-145 with slight draw to fade depending on clubface.

Last edited:
gvick it sounds to me like you have a slide type of move through the ball with driver. Next time you are at the range I would like you to hit some shots with the driver with your feet together. If you sway or lunge here you will feel it and struggle to maintain your balance. This drill will get you a real good feel of what the body should do through the golf swing.

Another thing you can try is to get the sensation that you are getting back to your address position as you come into impact. Let me know how it goes.

gvick it sounds to me like you have a slide type of move through the ball with driver. Next time you are at the range I would like you to hit some shots with the driver with your feet together. If you sway or lunge here you will feel it and struggle to maintain your balance. This drill will get you a real good feel of what the body should do through the golf swing.

Another thing you can try is to get the sensation that you are getting back to your address position as you come into impact. Let me know how it goes.

Best tip I have ever had in my golfing life!!! Thanks to you amollerud !! This guy is good :D

Thanks so much. I do not know why I did not think of this as it is exactly what I do to restore rhythm with my other clubs. I will give it a try when the snow finally clears. I really appreciate you spending your time answering a bunch of questions from hackers like myself

Back