Now Watson calls Tiger out

Status
Not open for further replies.

NikeGolf

Banned
Reaction score
Handicap
http://blogs.golf.com/presstent/2010/01/watson-has-advice-for-tigeron-and-off-the-course.html

Tom doesn't just say he needs to get the "off the course" stuff worked out and fixed, he goes into how Tiger needs to work on his on the course etiquette when he returns.

Ya know, I think Phil handled this whole Tiger mess well when he simply said, "I'm not going to comment."

Is that so hard for some to do?

Tom is far from perfect in his own right.

EDIT - check out the comments on the bottom of that golf blog link I posted. What is this world coming to?

It's not like this is the first time anyone has brought it up. I think it's about time a golfer has said something about it.

Maybe so, but a fellow professional golfer shouldn't be one to bring that kind of thing up in public.

He who lives in glass houses.................

Actually as an 8 time major winner and still a huge force as a senior, Tom Watson is absolutely the PERFECT guy to bring this up. Coming from a, say, Harrison Frazar or a J.B. Holmes, such a statement wouldn't carry much weight. Coming from a living legend of Tom Watson's stature, and a living legend that had some of his marital and substance abuse warts exposed during his lifetime, I think it is a statement Woods might consider and act on.

good for watson ... whatever his motivation ... and right or wrong in his assessment ... no one should be reluctant so speak their mind (short of something not considered protected speech) no matter how unpopular an opinion might be ... give us more tom baby !!!!!

It's not like this is the first time anyone has brought it up. I think it's about time a golfer has said something about it.

ha you wrote what i wrote before i wrote it ... damn you smallville! you're like the the dark archer to my green arrow (i think that's what the guy was called in yesterdays episode yeah?) ... off point but that mind reading blonde from the future was niiiiice ... lois or lana? gotta be lois!

Well, I respectfully, whole heartedly disagree w/ you guys on about ANY PGA professional golfer calling any player out for anything.

I'm just of the mind set that you should worry about yourself, and not worry about others.

How does it affect Tom how Tiger acts once in a while on the course?

And please, none of this, "well, Tom is looking out for the Tour and keeping the image in check" stuff. Spare me.

Well, I respectfully, whole heartedly disagree w/ you guys on about ANY PGA professional golfer calling any player out for anything.

I'm just of the mind set that you should worry about yourself, and not worry about others.

How does it affect Tom how Tiger acts once in a while on the course?

And please, none of this, "well, Tom is looking out for the Tour and keeping the image in check" stuff. Spare me.

honestly....Tom Watson can say whatever he wants and it really doesn't effect you or me. He did a local news interview from his personal office and now it's all over the place. It was his opinion and he's entitled to it.

I am with you....I worry about myself and let everyone else figure out their own stuff. But I'm not going to smite someone for speaking their mind. And I'm def. not going to get upset about it. And if in the off chance I speak my mind :)cough: caddy bib ).....I appreciate it when people don't get all up in arms and freak out.

Maybe so, but a fellow professional golfer shouldn't be one to bring that kind of thing up in public.

He who lives in glass houses.................

Actually as an 8 time major winner and still a huge force as a senior, Tom Watson is absolutely the PERFECT guy to bring this up. Coming from a, say, Harrison Frazar or a J.B. Holmes, such a statement wouldn't carry much weight. Coming from a living legend of Tom Watson's stature, and a living legend that had some of his marital and substance abuse warts exposed during his lifetime, I think it is a statement Woods might consider and act on.

Right on. Coming from Watson or Nicklaus gives it more weight. It's not like Watson hasn't tried to talk to Tiger about this privately. He said he tried to talk about this with him privately a while back. For better or worse Tiger is golf to the general public now. If he acts like a spoiled brat when his ball doesn't listen to him then someone who is just taking up the game figures that is acceptable.

And that's what's great about this country, you can state your opinion.

But fortunately, in this country you can state your opinion.

Last edited:

Yep, ditto on both.

I thought Woody Austin said something a few seasons ago...
I think he said something to the affect that when he does something, he's called crazy and out of control. And when Tiger does something, it's his competive fire...

I thought it was a good point. I will concede that Tiger never bent a putter over his head, although Elin may have...

He could learn from a class act

He could learn from a class act

Tom Watson had problems in his past but he was classy enough to own up to them and move on. He did not try to act like he was above his peers and just disappear into the wild blue younder. I personally don't and have never liked Eldrick Woods as a person. I have and always will admire his talent. He needs to listen to Tom Watson and maybe he can turn his ship around. Don't defend something that's obviously wrong and blame someone who is obviously right in trying to help a young man get his stuff together. He might just get his life back together if he's sincere. The first step is to come down off that high horse, do right by his wife and children and take Watson's advice.

Tom Watson had problems in his past but he was classy enough to own up to them and move on. He did not try to act like he was above his peers and just disappear into the wild blue younder. I personally don't and have never liked Eldrick Woods as a person. I have and always will admire his talent. He needs to listen to Tom Watson and maybe he can turn his ship around. Don't defend something that's obviously wrong and blame someone who is obviously right in trying to help a young man get his stuff together. He might just get his life back together if he's sincere. The first step is to come down off that high horse, do right by his wife and children and take Watson's advice.

Well said.

I would imagine that Watson was specifically asked for his thoughts on the situation, which is very different from him seeking out a public forum to reprimand tiger

he was probably asked a question, and he answered it.... I see no problem with that, and I agree with what he said

I like that Watson had the guts to call Tiger out. Eldrick definitely needs to clean up his on course image, stop acting like a spoiled brat, smile a bit, sign a few autographs, etc.

I am a huge Tiger fan and always will be and I have defended his on course conduct for as long as I can remember. But after seeing that interview with Watson, I have to admit that Tom is absolutely right.

-JP

I think Tom Watson has earned the right to call Tiger out. It is long over due.

Now, Watson has came out again and now says Tiger should go public w/ everything. First off, why? Secondly, it's none of our business. Thirdly, why should Tiger be listening to Tom? Fourthly, why is Tom talking about this? I just don't get it. In my personal view, Tom went from a very likable guy to someone I don't really care for anymore. I know plenty of others are on the same page as I am as well.

http://www.sportsbybrooks.com/finger-wagging-watson-has-his-own-skeletons-27769

Mr. Watson should never have said anything about Tiger. Arnold Palmer knew better than to say anything, and that was partly due to Palmer having a bit of fun himself w/ the ladies in his hey-day.

It also sounds like Mr. Watson was far from perfect in his hey-day as well, nor liked to talk to the media about his personal life.

A little hypocritical, no?

I think Tom Watson has earned the right to call Tiger out. It is long over due.

Interesting you should say that.

Last edited:
honestly....Tom Watson can say whatever he wants and it really doesn't effect you or me. He did a local news interview from his personal office and now it's all over the place. It was his opinion and he's entitled to it.

I am with you....I worry about myself and let everyone else figure out their own stuff. But I'm not going to smite someone for speaking their mind. And I'm def. not going to get upset about it. And if in the off chance I speak my mind :)cough: caddy bib ).....I appreciate it when people don't get all up in arms and freak out.

well said Snickers!

i still don't understand why it matters to anyone that Tom Watson has decided to make public statements about Tiger Woods?

honestly....are you upset because someone is questioning Tiger Woods? if Tom Watson called Phil Mickelson or John Daly out.....would you be upset?

Now, Watson has came out again and now says Tiger should go public w/ everything. First off, why? Secondly, it's none of our business. Thirdly, why should Tiger be listening to Tom? Fourthly, why is Tom talking about this? I just don't get it. In my personal view, Tom went from a very likable guy to someone I don't really care for anymore. I know plenty of others are on the same page as I am as well.

http://www.sportsbybrooks.com/finger-wagging-watson-has-his-own-skeletons-27769

Mr. Watson should never have said anything about Tiger. Arnold Palmer knew better than to say anything, and that was partly due to Palmer having a bit of fun himself w/ the ladies in his hey-day.

It also sounds like Mr. Watson was far from perfect in his hey-day as well, nor liked to talk to the media about his personal life.

A little hypocritical, no?

Interesting you should say that.

(a) Arnie isn't saying anything about Tiger because he and Tiger have a personal relationship. Also, I suspect, because Arnie wants Tiger at his tournament.

(b) I don't recall Tom Watson ever having a stable of ho's that he flew to his tournaments, spent "time" with while his father was dying, crashed his car while in an Ambien (or other drug) induced haze. And Watson certainly never behaved the way Tiger does on the course. So if you have some super secret information on Tom Watson's personal indiscretions, please share. Because, as the article you linked correctly states, it was Watson's wife who left him. Not the other way around. And, as the article also states, there is no information whatsoever that Watson had an extramarital affair with his now wife. Just that they got married 2 years after his divorce.

(c) Even assuming that the two situations were identical, that doesn't mean that Watson's statements are incorrect. To claim otherwise would be the same as claiming that a former drug addict should not be able to suggest that a current drug addict to go to rehab.

(d) None of our business? Of course it is our business. Because Tiger Woods is a business. Woods marketed himself. He inserted himself into our living rooms, our malls, our supermarkets, our airports, and every other place where a TV, billboard, or magazine could be found . . . and he did it for money. Woods chose to make himself a public figure for profit. Quite a tidy profit too. He chose to open himself up to scrutiny. And the bigger the scandal, the bigger the scrutiny. If it had been one woman, one time, I might tend to agree with the sentiment that it was a family matter. But it isn't. And Woods himself wasn't particularly private about his indiscretions, so why should the public be now?

(d) Isn't it possible, just possible, that your newfound dislike of Watson is more a result of your affinity for Nike and Woods than the legitimacy of Watson's statements?

(e) What's so "interesting" about Hoosier's comment?

I think Watson is right insofar as his opinion about Tiger cutting back (or eliminating) his tantrums after a bad shot and the associated outbursts. I think it's time that Tiger grew up in that regard.

Mind you, I don't have a problem with him getting mad after a bad shot or even cursing himself out for it. It's just that in the last couple of years it's gotten way out of control and when he threw the club into the gallery, that did it for me.

But as far as Tiger "needing" to offer the public a full accounting of his actions, I think that's ridiculous. He doesn't "owe" anyone any explanations and what happens in his private life ought to stay there.

If someone suggested he apologize for all of the turmoil he has caused, maybe I'd go with that. But to say that he should be offering some kind of "chapter and verse" explanation including all of the intimate details of his life - that's absurd.

-JP

The separation of private and public life is a difficult one.I`m afraid for Tiger they have become intrinsically linked.If he`d behaved himself he could of maintained the separation.However as a huge global sporting star he`s embraced the world of scandal,as many in that position are prone to do,and from that media feeding frenzy there is no escape.Hyenas on a carcass!!!!Tom Watson was certainly justified in his comments and to be honest Tiger needs a right good kick up the arse;and that bouncing the club into the gallery in Australia,his playing partners should have bollocked him for it.What a tool!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back