The Happy Happy Joy Joy Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Go The Kid!

Kevin

So I got this new wok. I may have mentioned it. Anyhoo, I took a little drive down to the Milwaukee Hispanic neighborhood earlier today to pick up some ingredients for stir fry from an Asian market. I had some sauces in mind, but in truth have no idea what I'm looking for in an Asian store. After standing and staring at the rows and rows of calligraphied jars for ten minutes I grab a few sauces and pastes, one a crab paste. I snag some rice noodles and a couple types of oil, then go to check out.

There's a young Asian woman at the register. She gives me a nice smile and starts ringing me up. She gets to the crab paste and asks me, kind of impressed, if I'm making green papaya salad. I say nope, I was going to use it in a stir fry. She sets it aside telling me I don't want that in a stir fry, only for papaya salad. LOL. I tell her I know nothing about Asian/Chinese cooking and I'm winging it. She says I have some good ingredients for a stir fry, except the crab paste, then tells me the next time I come back she'll answer any questions I might have, and take me around the store and give me some ideas.

How cool is that?

Kevin

So I got this new wok. I may have mentioned it. Anyhoo, I took a little drive down to the Milwaukee Hispanic neighborhood earlier today to pick up some ingredients for stir fry from an Asian market. I had some sauces in mind, but in truth have no idea what I'm looking for in an Asian store. After standing and staring at the rows and rows of calligraphied jars for ten minutes I grab a few sauces and pastes, one a crab paste. I snag some rice noodles and a couple types of oil, then go to check out.

There's a young Asian woman at the register. She gives me a nice smile and starts ringing me up. She gets to the crab paste and asks me, kind of impressed, if I'm making green papaya salad. I say nope, I was going to use it in a stir fry. She sets it aside telling me I don't want that in a stir fry, only for papaya salad. LOL. I tell her I know nothing about Asian/Chinese cooking and I'm winging it. She says I have some good ingredients for a stir fry, except the crab paste, then tells me the next time I come back she'll answer any questions I might have, and take me around the store and give me some ideas.

How cool is that?

Kevin

Very cool Kevin. Nice people recognize the same trait in others. She must have seen something in you.

How cool is that?

Kevin
Congrats on the new Wok, they are a lot of fun. My wok skills bring all the boys to the yard.

Lulu's friends?

I dont know. I just always sing the milkshake song when im using my wok but replace the word milkshake with wok skills. Ill be honest, its a pretty amazing song.

I dont know. I just always sing the milkshake song when im using my wok but replace the word milkshake with wok. Ill be honest, its a pretty amazing song.

I'm a bit disturbed by this. I'd rather picture Lulu's boys coming in your yard than other boys.

I'm a bit disturbed by this. I'd rather picture Lulu's boys coming in your yard than other boys.

I dont think its "In" my yard as much as "to" the yard.

I dont know. I just always sing the milkshake song when im using my wok but replace the word milkshake with wok. Ill be honest, its a pretty amazing song.

[YOUTUBE]pIppzbWGsvY[/YOUTUBE]

I'm on my way to my very first NBA game!! :clapp::brb:

Have cleared out a ton of my golf club 'hoing paraphernalia!

This has made the wife muuuuucho happy, and that means I'm allowed to be happy haha!

Of course she could just be happy that she gets a cut of it to buy a new lens for her Nikon DSLR......:D

How cool is that?

Kevin

Very cool Kevin. Nice people recognize the same trait in others. She must have seen something in you.

I agree with Diane, Kevin, even though I wonder about the authenticity of an Asian grocery store in an Hispanic neighborhood.

I'm not in a position to watch videos at the moment--there's a milkshake song?

I'm posting from my new Dell laptop! It's crumb free!

...even though I wonder about the authenticity of an Asian grocery store in an Hispanic neighborhood.

It's authentic. Milwaukee doesn't have an Asian neighborhood per se. There's one in the Hispanic neighborhood, one in what was the old Italian neighborhood, and one Downtown.

Kevin

Yeah! Given your new way of eating - it should remain that way.

I wonder about the authenticity of an Asian grocery store in an Hispanic neighborhood.

It's authentic. Milwaukee doesn't have an Asian neighborhood per se. There's one in the Hispanic neighborhood, one in what was the old Italian neighborhood, and one Downtown.

Kevin
All you have to do is step inside one to know if it's authenic or not.The 10# bags of Jasmine rice stacked by the front door are usually a dead give-away.
There used to be one that had a lot of Thai influence and ingredeints down in the Hispanic section of town here.Another one was down In the city market area which is close the Italian area and I think it had more of a Korean influence.They're usually where you wouldn't expect them here IMO.

Re: The Happy Happy Joy Joy Thread

ClairefromClare said:
He says no, and Kelis means nothing to him (or me).

it goes back a few years. mid 00's. at any rate....I saw a *performance in Vegas to that song and it will forever remain charred into my memory.

*I would use the term VERY loosely.

it goes back a few years. mid 00's. at any rate....I saw a *performance in Vegas to that song and it will forever remain charred into my memory.

*I would use the term VERY loosely.

The Kid is 11 and the only things Claire knows about pop culture are what Harry has told her.

The Kid is 11 and the only things Claire knows about pop culture are what Harry has told her.

Not so--I know some things that happened before 1990. I always liked history.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back