Niblick Unboxing & Thread

I got 49* Niblick yesterday and tried it today in the range.
Man, this is an awesome club! it launches high and lands very softly, also straight for my swing. For me, it has much smoother feeling than my CG12 52*.
I could dial the distance from 60 yds to 100+ yds. I tried some chip shots but it's too early to tell since I tried only in the range.
I can't wait for trying this weapon in rounds......but snow till April, man.

Sorry you have to wait awhile to try it on the course, but you will love it even more once you try it there! Congrats on your new club! :act-up:

This place has accelerated my ho'ing....first my Dymo2 4 Wood.....then the Nickent deals....:

Now Niblicks. I set out looking for a 56* for the sand and greenside shots I have a tendency to cut my own throat with and thus far have not found the right price yet, but, did grab a used 42* for a whale of deal.

You all have got me SO excited to try them out I couldn't resist myself, I am an equal oppurtunity ho, I'll try anything if it might shave a stroke or two.

LOL! :banana:

I will be bringing a 37* Niblick to Brea next month if any of that group wants to give it a try. :D

I just got the 49* niblick - Can't wait to try it. Only 3 months till my course opens - uggg.
No more chilly-dipping chips, and hopefully it functions well as a GW between my 47* PW and my 54* SW

This is a bad, bad place for people like me.

There's got to be a reason why this thread is so long and that's usually enough reason for me to try one. I finally evened out the yardage gap between my pw and sw and now this.

Well, someone once told me to go with the most game-improvement you can stand to look at and I do have some Roger Dunn credit, so I guess it's worth a shot.

Has anyone with the 56 also tried Cleveland's 588 RS? The RS seems to have been the "prototype" for the 56 Niblick, as it has the same extended sole. I'm interested in seeing how the 56 Niblick compares out of bunkers and around the greens. On the one hand, the RS has 60* of loft, but the Niblick has those zip grooves and unconventionally shaped face.

Right now, I use a 56* i-wedge for bunkers which I find even easier to use than the 588RS from the sand. I especially like to be able to toe in a SW to dig the ball out of buried lies. But the RS is a great LW for someone like me who can't even break 100 because its broad, flat sole (8* bounce) makes it easy to use off of both tight lies and the rough.

cl603.jpg
1014683.jpg

I'm curious about the Niblick.Do you think swapping a 49* Nib for a 50* gap wedge is a good choice for a guy with GI irons?Will it cover the same distance on a full swing?

Or would I be better off with a GI gap and getting a 56* Nib to replace my 58* lob?

I can only get one or the other and I'm in the process of getting a new iron set,so I need to know whether or not to order the gap wedge from the set.I like the versatility that the Nib offers,so I would want to get one, the question is which...I'm lost on this one.

get the gap wedge.Just because it matches the set.If it doesn't pan out sell it on ebay and pick up a niblick.Or keep it and compare.The set would be worth more with the extra wedge resale.That's just my 2 cents.

Pirate -- why only one club? Most manufacturers charge by the club, so if you sub a 49 for a GW, that would be cheaper than just buying a 56. Sounds like reasonable justification to me. ;)

What do you useas a SW? If you were going to use the SW from the GI set, why not substitute the 56 for it as well as the 49 for the GW? That way you can still keep the 58 LW if you use it for any specific shots.

Pirate -- why only one club? Most manufacturers charge by the club, so if you sub a 49 for a GW, that would be cheaper than just buying a 56. Sounds like reasonable justification to me. ;)

What do you useas a SW? If you were going to use the SW from the GI set, why not substitute the 56 for it as well as the 49 for the GW? That way you can still keep the 58 LW if you use it for any specific shots.

I use aCG12 54* as my sand wedge.I only plan on going to either PW or GW in my iron set.Does the 56* work as well as the 49* as far as chipping?It seams like from what I've read here is that the 56 seems more versatile because of it's ability to get out the sand.If it's good for other around the green shots,then that might be the way to go for me.

I'll throw in my 2 cents on this one...

I'll throw in my 2 cents on this one...

I use aCG12 54* as my sand wedge.I only plan on going to either PW or GW in my iron set.Does the 56* work as well as the 49* as far as chipping?It seams like from what I've read here is that the 56 seems more versatile because of it's ability to get out the sand.If it's good for other around the green shots,then that might be the way to go for me.

The Niblick 56* is very good for many short pitch shots around the green and especially for those "delicate" touch shots as well. (I like to call those the "finesse" chip shots and before I got the Niblick 56*, I used a 54* wedge for those). The 56* Niblick makes those shots relatively easy: The shots land "softly" so the ball stops quickly. :clapp:

That said, I think either the 49* (or 42* ) Niblick is a far better choice for the more conventional chip shot where you want the ball to run to the hole after it lands. I know there are always exceptions out there, i.e. those players who choose to hit even the lower running chip shots with a 56* or other such high lofted wedge. Such RH players will usually deloft their wedge by playing it behind the right foot and try to hit the ball harder with spin applied to make it check. Very accomplished players can pull that off. However, I really think those guys are the exception. For most players, a lower lofted club is a much better choice for executing the low, running chip shot. :act-up:

Keep in mind there is nothing wrong with carrying (2) Niblicks, (check my signature). Together, the 49*/56* Niblicks make a terrific combo. :banana:

Last edited:
Keep in mind there is nothing wrong with carrying (2) Niblicks, (check my signature). Together, the 49*/56* Niblicks make a terrific combo.

Yes, but who will be the first to gather three into one bag lol.

I'm digging the 42 I picked up, the hardest thing right now is deciding 49 or 56 now...I don't want to be the first to do both. :D

I'm digging the 42 I picked up, the hardest thing right now is deciding 49 or 56 now...I don't want to be the first to do both. :D

I actually thought about it yesterday, I had the 49* on my hand at the store.. then decided no ( at least for the moment)

I actually thought about it yesterday, I had the 49* on my hand at the store.. then decided no ( at least for the moment)

I'm actually leaning that direction...I just figure why not?

Who knows though, lots of stuff to sell before I can start thinking about that lol.

Well . . . with the 49 and 56, this actually becomes feasible. The problem with the 37 or 42 alone is that it's tough to take out your 9 or PW for them, then go back to wedges. The 42, 49 and 56 can actually take over the top of a bag. The only thing I'd have to worry about is someone stealing my lunch money. :) But seriously, I'm wondering if there's anything I'd use a PW for that the 42 Niblick could't do.

I certainly agree...

I certainly agree...

Well . . . with the 49 and 56, this actually becomes feasible. The problem with the 37 or 42 alone is that it's tough to take out your 9 or PW for them, then go back to wedges. The 42, 49 and 56 can actually take over the top of a bag. The only thing I'd have to worry about is someone stealing my lunch money. :) But seriously, I'm wondering if there's anything I'd use a PW for that the 42 Niblick could't do.

I agree completely with 2left...If (3) Niblicks will help you score better, then why not just bag all (3). The 42*/49*/56* combo could easily replace a 3-wedge set, (PW/GW/SW). :clapp:

The 37* Niblick is not a popular choice for those of us that play on fast greens. According to Cleveland Golf, the 37* is best suited for desert courses and slow greens, although it is easily the best Niblick for the "low punch" recovery shot. If such conditons describe the courses where you play, then the 37*/49*/56* combo may be best...or what the heck, just go ahead and bag all (4) Niblicks. :bananadance: Play whatever works!

(Note that the 37* Niblick is a 9-iron replacement in terms of full swing distance).

:egyptian:

Actually, for me, the 42 replaces my 9 iron perfectly. I only hit my pitching wedge like 100 or slightly further, so for me a 42*, then my regular pw, then 52*. I simply love the versatility of my 56* CG14. Only way I see myself moving that one is with a new CG15.

Quick question for JB, but what yardages did you see with the 56* niblick....As you know already i have the 58* cg15 and am having trouble with getting it up and down around the green.....But it works wonder for me out of the sand....so I just ordered the 56* niblick to use around the green......i'm hoping it will be easier to use around the green then my standard 58* cg15.........any thoughts?

On a full swing I hit the 56* about 75 yards. It relates well to a 60* wedge for me.

As for using a 58* around the green, that may be too much of a lofted wedge for you depending on your technique and course you are playing. You may want to watch the THP TV episode Andy did on chipping. Its quick and easy and works flawlessly. He talks about how to choose the right wedge.

Re: 49* & 56* Niblick Unboxing

JB said:
On a full swing I hit the 56* about 75 yards. It relates well to a 60* wedge for me.

As for using a 58* around the green, that may be too much of a lofted wedge for you depending on your technique and course you are playing. You may want to watch the THP TV episode Andy did on chipping. Its quick and easy and works flawlessly. He talks about how to choose the right wedge.

So you think the 56* niblick I got will be ideal for around the greens then?

I cant answer that. As I said before, it depends on technique, courses played, and a lot more. As mentioned, I think you should watch the THP TV episode on chipping and get the technique down.

Ok then lol besides jb does anyone else have an opinion on using a 56* niblick for around the green?

I use the 56* around the green a lot. But you are asking people to recommend a club for you when you are already having trouble with a high lofted wedge around the green. The niblick could in fact make it slightly easier for you based on weighting, but there is obviously an issue with loft and your technique that could be addressed very easily. If you choose not to do that, that is your choice.

You asked a question directed at me and did not like the answer. Hopefully some will give you the answer you want to hear.

I agree completely with 2left...If (3) Niblicks will help you score better, then why not just bag all (3). The 42*/49*/56* combo could easily replace a 3-wedge set, (PW/GW/SW). :clapp:

The 37* Niblick is not a popular choice for those of us that play on fast greens. According to Cleveland Golf, the 37* is best suited for desert courses and slow greens, although it is easily the best Niblick for the "low punch" recovery shot. If such conditons describe the courses where you play, then the 37*/49*/56* combo may be best...or what the heck, just go ahead and bag all (4) Niblicks. :bananadance: Play whatever works!

(Note that the 37* Niblick is a 9-iron replacement in terms of full swing distance).

:egyptian:

Excellent post and what I wanted to hear.

After reading and researching alot I think they'd replace my PW, GW, SW very well and fit my game too. This 42* is a flat out blast in my back yard so I'm drooling for more.

Playing 42*, 49*, 56* just seems fun. The purists may think that's nuts, but, I really think now that these can do anything I need or could do with my regular wedge set. I think it could save strokes for me, I really do.

J

Playing 42*, 49*, 56* just seems fun. The purists may think that's nuts, but, I really think now that these can do anything I need or could do with my regular wedge set. I think it could save strokes for me, I really do.

J

Extremely well said. It worked for me.

Back