Driver unhappiness

Gulby

#SemiPro
Reaction score
Handicap
RCGA 12.9
Not loving my R1 anymore...Only have had it for a month and just am not loving the feel. Soooo I am heading in tomorrow to trade it in for something else.

Do I go: SLDR, I25, Cobra Amp or Big Bertha. I am a high handicapper and am looking for something to help me hit the ball a bit straighter.

I'd say whatever feels the best to you that gives the most optimal numbers. Are you going to be testing them??

Driver unhappiness

Posted this in the ponder thread to your post there, but I'll put it here as well.
Of those, if forgiveness is number one, look at the AMP and Bertha. The i25 has more than I expected in it, but still an I-series driver. The SLDR is the opposite end of the spectrum forgiveness wise than the other 3 IMO.

Not loving my R1 anymore...Only have had it for a month and just am not loving the feel. Soooo I am heading in tomorrow to trade it in for something else.

Do I go: SLDR, I25, Cobra Amp or Big Bertha. I am a high handicapper and am looking for something to help me hit the ball a bit straighter.

I would avoid the SLDR if I were you and maybe get a few lessons. Was feel your only issue with the R1?

I plan on hitting them all, but just wanted to try and get some insight before going in.

I hear the I25 is more for the Tour quality player, so the G25 might be a bit better. Heard that the Bertha and Amp Cell might be a bit more of what i am looking for. Also heard some good things about the SLDR, but I seem to be incorrect on that

Why limit yourself. Jetspeed, X2hot, G25, Altitude need to be added to your list.

I would avoid the SLDR if I were you and maybe get a few lessons. Was feel your only issue with the R1?

I bought it before I had lessons, and after my last 2 sessions of lessons I can't hit it straight no matter what I do and what I adjust. I also find the noise is a little irritating and contact doesn't feel as nice.

I plan on hitting them all, but just wanted to try and get some insight before going in.

I hear the I25 is more for the Tour quality player, so the G25 might be a bit better. Heard that the Bertha and Amp Cell might be a bit more of what i am looking for. Also heard some good things about the SLDR, but I seem to be incorrect on that

The SLDR is fantastic. But you need to consistently find the sweet spot or get used to losing 30 yards.

Why limit yourself. Jetspeed, X2hot, G25, Altitude need to be added to your list.

So Cobra Amp, TM Jetspeed, Big Bertha or Alpha?, Xhot2, G25 and Clev Altitude should be the cubs I try

Skip the alpha IMO.

The SLDR is fantastic. But you need to consistently find the sweet spot or get used to losing 30 yards.

Consistency is something I lack with my driver

Forgiving IMO is personified by the AMP Cell, Bertha, and Altitiude. Just my opinion though.

You should try the Fujikura shaft in the R1 before you give up on the club. They have different characteristics and leave you with a different feel. The R1 has a lot of forgiveness and adjustability and is kind of meant to be a FW finder. Good luck!

The SLDR is a good driver if it fits you. Really the best thing to do is go in with an open mind and get fit. Whatever you hit the best get that. It may be one of the drivers you listed it may not be sometimes the results of fittings can surprise you.

I've hit all of the drivers you've mentioned except the bio cell. I actually like the R1 so it may not be apples to apples, but for me the G25 felt a lot better than SLDR and even the regular Big Bertha. I would also suggest trying the X2hot it felt great to me as well.

The SLDR is a good driver if it fits you. Really the best thing to do is go in with an open mind and get fit. Whatever you hit the best get that. It may be one of the drivers you listed it may not be sometimes the results of fittings can surprise you.

Fitting is key, but that is still a penal driver if one is looking for forgiveness.

I would not give up on the R1 so quick if the sound is what really bothering you could add a few cotton balls to the head it will change the sound the R1 is a very good head you could also try a different shaft or turn the loft up at higher loft it might go straighter remember lot is your friend

I hit the Bertha alpha and the sldr and ended up buying the sldr. The dispersion of the Bertha was all over the place compared to the sldr. I would suggest hitting a bunch to see what fits you.

Just a thought. I struggled with my driver, it took 3 lessons before it felt like there was a lot of improvement, also make sure to be fitted by a good fitter as I've learned the shaft and head combos are too many for most amateurs to find the right combo easily or with out help. Just an example I had a slice that turned to a fade recently went to a 913 d3 with a Blueboard, which is a driver semi focused on being able to work the ball and less forgiving. I hit it very well and can feel the clubhead through the entire swing and can turn it over easier. Long story short... Don't give up on lessons too soon, and if you are purchasing try to hit as many drivers as you have access too, most courses will let you demo a club for a round free of charge

O yes 100% agree I am also not a huge fan of the feel/sound of the SLDR.

Funny how different we all are in this game. Performance for me is not good with that one, but to me it's the best sounding and feeling driver they have released since the SuperDeep

Fitting is key, but that is still a penal driver if one is looking for forgiveness.
Yeah, I may pass on the SLDR, but we will see what it is like after I hit a few. I am going to hit whatever I can and hope someone there will be able to spend some time with me on the flight scope.

O yes 100% agree I am also not a huge fan of the feel/sound of the SLDR.

It has to be one of the most polarizing driver in recent year you either love or hate it

Back