Michelle Wie Signs With Kia Motors

JB

Follow @THPGolf on Social Media
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
We just got an email from her agent that Wie has signed a deal with Kia Motors and will be featured in ad spots and other ventures throughout 2010.

Imagine that. My daughter purchased a new Sportage last night. Such a deal

Any idea on what her contract is worth?

Is she still with Nike as well?

• Admin
Interesting...I think Hyundai owns Kia. I wonder why the sponsorship was offered on the low end vehicle.

Do ya'll think the Kia is a younger generation vehicle? I don't know if it's younger generation. But, I think it's considered entry-level

I wonder what she'll be driving during tourney weeks? She looks like a "Soul" girl. But, the "Borrego" is the high end ($26K-40K) model.
KIA

• Admin
Interesting...I think Hyundai owns Kia. I wonder why the sponsorship was offered on the low end vehicle.

Im pretty sure they dont.

• Admin
I always thought that they were made out of the same factory but the brands were kept completely separate. Hmmmm.

I always thought that they were made out of the same factory but the brands were kept completely separate. Hmmmm.

yep, that's correct.

Hyundai is a massive conglomerate. One of the reasons their cars can cost less less than comparable brands is largely due to their ability to eliminate the middleman. Hyundai has it's own construction, shipping and auto parts companies. Technically, they are all separate entities. But, it makes sense that there is some type of relationship between the companies to control costs.

I had read about this "synergy" when comparing the XG350 to the Camry, Accord and similar 4-doors. But, never noticed it until seeing trains pass by with Hyundai containers on them.

There cars used to be very poorly manufactured. But, they've done a 180. The Hyundai Genesis was 2009 North American Car of the Year.

Hyundai is a massive conglomerate. One of the reasons their cars can cost less less than comparable brands is largely due to their ability to eliminate the middleman. Hyundai has it's own construction, shipping and auto parts companies. Technically, they are all separate entities. But, it makes sense that there is some type of relationship between the companies to control costs.

I had read about this "synergy" when comparing the XG350 to the Camry, Accord and similar 4-doors. But, never noticed it until seeing trains pass by with Hyundai containers on them.

There cars used to be very poorly manufactured. But, they've done a 180. The Hyundai Genesis was 2009 North American Car of the Year.

wait until you see the 2011 Sonata, it'll kill Camry and Accord sales, but that's my opinion, and no, i don't own a hyundai, just deal with a lot of car dealers.

wait until you see the 2011 Sonata, it'll kill Camry and Accord sales, but that's my opinion, and no, i don't own a hyundai, just deal with a lot of car dealers.
Unless Toyota and Honda continue to have quality problems, I dont see that happening.
Despite the fact that Hyundai/Kia are doing much better in quality studies, people still have this perception that they are cheap cars.
BTW, Kia and Hyundai are the same company. The Kia brandname allowed Hyundai to start out fresh and Kias are marketed as being a car for someone in their early 20s. They are marketed as being hip and fun but still very affordable. Id say Wie was a good choice for them to market their brand.

The Kia Sportage was without a doubt the worst car I ever owned.

just look how long it took toyota and honda to kick their image of cheap crappy cars

toyota's been at it since 57, and honda since 70

give these korean carmakers a few more years and I'm sure they'll be right there with the japanese makers

lets not get this one too far off topic guys. Lets keep this one about Wie.

Unless Toyota and Honda continue to have quality problems, I dont see that happening.
Despite the fact that Hyundai/Kia are doing much better in quality studies, people still have this perception that they are cheap cars.
BTW, Kia and Hyundai are the same company. The Kia brandname allowed Hyundai to start out fresh and Kias are marketed as being a car for someone in their early 20s. They are marketed as being hip and fun but still very affordable. Id say Wie was a good choice for them to market their brand.

well then it's strictly a perception issue, as you said yourself. the fact is, toyota nor honda back there vehicles like Hyundai does. what makes Honda or Toyota "better quality" than a Hyundai, in your opinion?

yes, Kia and Hyundai are the same company, but totally operate as seperate entities. Both function completely different as companies, they have completely different co-op programs, and completely different headquarters.

well then it's strictly a perception issue, as you said yourself. the fact is, toyota nor honda back there vehicles like Hyundai does. what makes Honda or Toyota "better quality" than a Hyundai, in your opinion?
Just look at the J.D. Power studies on long-term quality and reliability. Toyotas/Honda have historically held up better than has Hyundai/Kia.
Hyundai/Kia has done a lot to improve their quality though and that is reflected in some of the recent initial quality studies, the long-term still isnt there yet because the materials that the Koreans use are still cheap.
Personally, I wont buy a Korean car. It has to do with economic as well as political reasons. I try to buy made in the USA and support local businesses when possible.

Once again we will ask to keep this thread about Wie & or golf somehow. We have plenty of auto threads alive in a different section. Thanks.

Back