Hybrids... Try them all!!

RedRum

Reaction score
Handicap
I just wanted to give a breif summary of my hybrid experience.

From day one, I have not been able to hit them. For some reason they do not agree with my swing. I have a Callaway FT-3 20* which I purchased on E-bay for cheap, and hit it maybe as far as my 6iron.

I am by no means a good golfer, average swing speed, and average scores (80's)

That said, I went to a place where I could hit most major brands of hybrids, and was very suprised with my findings.

The three I hit the best were the Adams Pro Black, Titelist 909, and Ping i15.
This was a hugh shock to me, as I would usually not consider the more "player" version of clubs. But the results were WAY better with these three.

Moral of the story, don't overlook a product because it is not in your "category" . Give them all a shot, you might be suprised like me! Now I am saving up for a hybrid I can actually hit!!

Just for those wondering, The models I tested were;

Adams a7
Adams a7os
Adams Pro Black
Callaway Bertha
Cleveland DST
Cobra Baffler ?
Ping i15
Ping g15
Titliest 909
Nike vr (new red one)
Taylormade burner and rescue

Good advice. I always try to hit as many clubs as possible when I'm shopping, and like drivers, all hybrids are definitely not created equal. My hybrids are both Bridgestone.

Wish I could give my 2 cents on different hybrids, but thats not the case. I heard the Rescues were great, so I bought a couple and love them. The only other one I've hit was an off brand a buddy had that did great as well, but couldn't tell much difference.

The only time I really feel I get into trouble with my hybrid is from a side hill lie or trying to really push past my go to distance.

I have tried just about every single hybrid on the market. Not all are created equally by any means. That is why we love the hybrid shoot out so much.

For the longest time, I wasn't able to hit with my hybrids either...I think it was on mentally challenging for me, so one day I just went to the range and used no other club except my 4-5 hybrids and just didn't quit until I hit them. The same with my 3W, but I don't have as many problems anymore with hitting them, I just needed to change my thought process :D

I agree that some are better than others.I've hit some great shots with all I've tried.Just not as consistantly with some as others.

From day one, I have not been able to hit them. For some reason they do not agree with my swing.

Most hybrids are made to be swung like an iron, not a wood. If you put a 'wedge' mindset behind the swing, you may see better results.

I was set on trading in my Cleveland XLS hybrids for the new DST hybrids, its a good thing i didnt, I actually hit the XLS hybrids about 5-10 yards further than the DST's.

I have always struggled with long irons, so the use of hybrids has helped dramatically.

The only concern I have now is that I hit my 4hybrid so much further that I will still needa play a 4 iron as well. Which means I hafta decide on 1 or no fairway woods, or 2 or 3 wedges.

Most hybrids are made to be swung like an iron, not a wood. If you put a 'wedge' mindset behind the swing, you may see better results.

Thats always been my problem......I am trying to do better....

Are hybrids like wedge bounce, some better for diggers and some for sweepers?

Ive read many times this same thing, you have to swing it like an iron and not try to sweep it like a wood. If you do this you should most definitely see better results.

I've always felt that the best way to swing a hybrid is determined by it's head size. Those hybrids with a larger more FW sized head work better for me if swung like a FW, whereas, those with smaller more compact heads, perform best when swung like a iron. JMO,,,

I've always felt that the best way to swing a hybrid is determined by it's head size. Those hybrids with a larger more FW sized head work better for me if swung like a FW, whereas, those with smaller more compact heads, perform best when swung like a iron. JMO,,,

When speaking to the creator of the hybrid for our upcoming THP Magazine article, he said almost this exact same thing.

To me I know to swing it like an iron but absolutely cannot do so if I'm holding a hybrid with a graphite shaft...I just cannot. Shaft it up with steel to match my irons and boom, I'm in business.

The onyl exception I've found is the 19.5* FY I have now, but, it has a bigger head so a "fairway like" swing works with it.

Call me mental, but its just the way I'm wired I suppose.

Back