Last Years Equipment

Before I came to this site my newest club was from the 07 year. Which is still my driver. I gamed nearly 20 year old irons and hand me down wedges. Now the oldest club in my bag is my driver. Switching every year, at least for me, is a waste of money as the gains from year to year aren't very significant. But if you are gaming early 2000's or even 90's equipment, then yes switching to the latest and greatest will be worth the price. But saying that someone should game, for example, a SLDR over an r1 because it's the latest and greatest and the r1 is old news is just silly.

Yea, I'm tappin' it

I prefer used items for most consumer related purchases in my life -- houses, cars, many electronics, furniture, art. Anything that depreciates heavily, I typically always get used. The few exceptions are for hygiene related reasons. Maybe I'm weird, but I'm not going to wear someone else's sweaty shoes, shirts, hats, socks, underwear, etc. even if it has been washed.

Golf clubs are no different and thus I prefer to buy used. What is new today will be used in 6-12 months and 25-50% of its value. What is new today will be worth < 20% of its value in 18 months. There are a few OEMs, specific models, etc. where this doesn't apply, but it is a safe rule of thumb.

The other added benefit is that the risk is lower. I can take a flier on something knowing that if it doesn't work out, I'm not out much. The key is sticking to OEMs and lines that I know I can resell. What's been surprising to me is what sells versus what does not, but that is another topic.

I also see the other side of the coin. If people want to buy new and replace their equipment 4 times a year with brand new setups, more power to them. That's just not right for me.

With the exception of truly revolutionary technology (Big Bertha Alpha?), I think technology has a shelf life of about five years. Most anything in that window is comparable and you can find something older and less expensive that works great for you.

I prefer used items for most consumer related purchases in my life -- houses, cars, many electronics, furniture, art. Anything that depreciates heavily, I typically always get used. The few exceptions are for hygiene related reasons. Maybe I'm weird, but I'm not going to wear someone else's sweaty shoes, shirts, hats, socks, underwear, etc. even if it has been washed.

Golf clubs are no different and thus I prefer to buy used. What is new today will be used in 6-12 months and 25-50% of its value. What is new today will be worth < 20% of its value in 18 months. There are a few OEMs, specific models, etc. where this doesn't apply, but it is a safe rule of thumb.

The other added benefit is that the risk is lower. I can take a flier on something knowing that if it doesn't work out, I'm not out much. The key is sticking to OEMs and lines that I know I can resell. What's been surprising to me is what sells versus what does not, but that is another topic.

I also see the other side of the coin. If people want to buy new and replace their equipment 4 times a year with brand new setups, more power to them. That's just not right for me.

ryebread I think a thread on equipment re-sale and how certain brands or sectors have retained their value would be a useful one. I would encourage you to start or at least contribute to such a thread. I know it would help me.

I've swapped out every club in my bag twice since joining THP. Granted, both times were due to fittings. At the same time, I don't care how new the club is, so long as I like it. It just so happens that the newer clubs are in the store, so I have more of an opportunity to test them out and figure out which ones I'm comfortable with. I look at consistency, distance and feel mainly and if those things are an improvement on what is currently in my bag, then I make a choice to buy and game it, whether it's a 6 year old used club or brand new.

As for hybrids, I'm having a hard time finding something I like better than the XHot. Because of that, I may end up keeping it until something comes along to knock it out of the bag.

With the exception of truly revolutionary technology (Big Bertha Alpha?), I think technology has a shelf life of about five years. Most anything in that window is comparable and you can find something older and less expensive that works great for you.

The interesting part about that is look back to 2009.
Square drivers?

While I will never say older equipment is inferior necessarily, the advancements seen in just a few years can be quite revolutionary.

The interesting part about that is look back to 2009.
Square drivers?

While I will never say older equipment is inferior necessarily, the advancements seen in just a few years can be quite revolutionary.

Does that always translate into better performance for all golfers?
Like most around THP, I think the individual golf swing is the more important piece of the puzzle. The golf clubs are just the tools we use to play the game.

I always try to buy used everything, hahaha the depreciation is unbelievable these days. I have always had no trouble finding really nice clubs with very little wear on local craigslist adds.
When in doubt wait 6 months for 40% markdown lol

Welcome to THP. Resistance is futile.

...Yep. I came in in late 2012/early 2013 only planning to change irons in the next year-ish. Fast forward to today...every club in my bag is different than it was then except for driver. Which will be different starting late April.

I tell myself that this is the last thing for at least a year, but I know the ponder train will be a running well before that.

Does that always translate into better performance for all golfers?
Like most around THP, I think the individual golf swing is the more important piece of the puzzle. The golf clubs are just the tools we use to play the game.

For all golfers? Nope. But I would bet dollars to donuts that almost every single golfer that got a full fitting with a head from today vs one from 5 years ago would get more distance and better accuracy out of the one from today.

As for hybrids, I'm having a hard time finding something I like better than the XHot. Because of that, I may end up keeping it until something comes along to knock it out of the bag.

They are like cheating. I haven't hit the X2 Hot hybrids, but honestly I can't see them being much better for me.

For all golfers? Nope. But I would bet dollars to donuts that almost every single golfer that got a full fitting with a head from today vs one from 5 years ago would get more distance and better accuracy out of the one from today.

I agree with your fitting premise, but equipment I'm not so sure of. I would think a fitting with older equipment (2 to 3 years old) would be more helpful than new equipment with no fitting.

New equipment is fun and testing new equipment is also fun and can help individuals golf games, but sometimes the older equipment works just a well at least for some golfers. Technology will only continue to advance golf equipment, but even if it didn't they would still put out new golf clubs.

I always buy everybody rejects from last year

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk

I only buy clubs when they go on sale or are slightly used, but I am cheap basterd.

It's what I did. I replaced the irons I'd been gaming since the early 90's with clubs that are I'd guess 3 versions old. Cheaper is good and I got to replace my clubs with brand spanking new clubs. (I know, no big deal but when you've never had clubs you had to pull the shrinkwrap off of it's kind of neat.) I did the same thing for my driver and woods but bought used clubs because they were cheaper than buying new.

Last Years Equipment

That's what I'm trying to accomplish now with my driver. Find something new or slightly used that's left over from last year... Great way to save a penny to two.

I agree with your fitting premise, but equipment I'm not so sure of. I would think a fitting with older equipment (2 to 3 years old) would be more helpful than new equipment with no fitting.

New equipment is fun and testing new equipment is also fun and can help individuals golf games, but sometimes the older equipment works just a well at least for some golfers. Technology will only continue to advance golf equipment, but even if it didn't they would still put out new golf clubs.

That is not comparing apples to apples however. Take an older head and take a newer head. Both tested the same way. Meaning get fit for both of them and see what happens. We all know what would happen.

Golfers are very quick to dismiss the idea that the equipment has gotten remarkably better, because it gives a crutch. These R&D teams are deep, made up of some amazingly intelligent people with backgrounds that are outstanding. Fighting for grams and new technology has in fact made things remarkably better.

I would never tell someone how to spend their money. Or to spend it at all. But to say that things have not changed or gotten better is just not accurate.

I just see the latest equipment as somewhat of a gimmick. Sure companies are going to introduce a new product every year to stay competitive and always to make money. Sure some clubs will give an individual player better results but as a whole I dont see any breakthrough even over the last 5 years. I gamed the r7 superquad for a few years and theres days i still regret letting it go. I dont have it here today to compare to my R1 but dont feel R1 is a major improvement. I have hit both the 910 d3 and 913 d3 as well and in my opinion I think the 910 d3 was a better driver. I think the money all these companies spend lead people to believe that the latest is superior to last year but I personally just dont see the results. Sure half the new drivers are going to be longer once they continue to add obnoxiously long shafts but what good does it do when you're trying to hit an approach shot from the jungle. Every driver i buy anymore the first thing I do is have an inch cut off the shaft and replace the grip.

The biggest things have been adjustability and customization.

That is not comparing apples to apples however. Take an older head and take a newer head. Both tested the same way. Meaning get fit for both of them and see what happens. We all know what would happen.

Golfers are very quick to dismiss the idea that the equipment has gotten remarkably better, because it gives a crutch. These R&D teams are deep, made up of some amazingly intelligent people with backgrounds that are outstanding. Fighting for grams and new technology has in fact made things remarkably better.

I would never tell someone how to spend their money. Or to spend it at all. But to say that things have not changed or gotten better is just not accurate.

Things have certainly changed in golf and gotten better. I also agree that most golfers are a fickle and ego driven sort who downplay their tools and the ball and all that technology has given them. I have played golf for almost 40 years and it has certainly gotten easier to play and equipment is the major reason for that. It is also the reason courses have gotten more difficult and longer. Technology marches forward in all specs of life.

Things have certainly changed in golf and gotten better. I also agree that most golfers are a fickle and ego driven sort who downplay their tools and the ball and all that technology has given them. I have played golf for almost 40 years and it has certainly gotten easier to play and equipment is the major reason for that. It is also the reason courses have gotten more difficult and longer. Technology marches forward in all specs of life.

Do not discount the importance of instruction and a better understanding how to deliver the club to the ball. The golf swing itself has changed more than we give it credit for.

Do not discount the importance of instruction and a better understanding how to deliver the club to the ball. The golf swing itself has changed more than we give it credit for.

The golf swing is the golf swing. So many different types of golf swings have worked over the years, but really are they all that different? Not in my mind. That would be like saying someone has found the perfect way to use a hammer or a fork. Just my way of looking at it.

I went to the PGA Store this past weekend (2 hours away from where I live) and was really excited about trying out some of the new equipment because I don't have a local place to look at or try any golf equiptment. I brought in my current driver, a 2010 9.5* Nike VR Tour and some of my own balls to compare in the simulators.

I was really disappointed with the results of all the new drivers.

My swing speed was between 117 and 119 and averaged 3100-3300 rmp. I did not see any reduction in backspin or gains in distance or accuracy with the new technology. They were really helpful and swapped heads, shafts, and adjusted lofts, ect., but there wasn't any change that would have made me spend $400. I guess I am just a little stumped that I wouldn't have seen something change in my numbers.

There are things in this thread that are just not accurate. People assume that because something off the rack does not go longer for them, that it is not technologically better. Then wonder why the marketing done is always over the top distance claims.

Its funny to hear things like "I hit this 5 years ago better than my driver today" and then assume that its because there have been no advancements. Its just false. Just about every aspect of the creation has changed. The issue is the person swinging it has not. Lower spin, higher spin, lighter weights, more adjustability for easier fitting, less weight in the hosel, new materials, and so much more has ALL changed in the last 5 years.

None of this means one will be a better golfer with new equipment, but lets not pretend that nothing is being done.

I went to the PGA Store this past weekend (2 hours away from where I live) and was really excited about trying out some of the new equipment because I don't have a local place to look at or try any golf equiptment. I brought in my current driver, a 2010 9.5* Nike VR Tourand some of my own balls to compare in the simulators.

I was really disappointed with the results of all the new drivers.

My swing speed was between 117 and 119 and averaged 3100-3300 rmp. I did not see any reduction in backspin or gains in distance or accuracy with the new technology. They were really helpful and swapped heads, shafts, and adjusted lofts, ect., but there wasn't any change that would have made me spend $400. I guess I am just a little stumped that I wouldn't have seen something change in my numbers.

This shocks me a bit as well. What drivers did you try?

Last Years Equipment

The golf swing is the golf swing. So many different types of golf swings have worked over the years, but really are they all that different? Not in my mind. That would be like saying someone has found the perfect way to use a hammer or a fork. Just my way of looking at it.

That's fine. But the biomechanical understanding of the swing has changed. Maybe not over the past 5 years, but over the past 40 it definitely has.

Back