So fitting is not really an option..

Porky

Reaction score
Handicap
Looking for a new driver, i currently game the original Covert from last year. This is the only club in my bag I've never been fitted. I've gamed TM Burner, TM R11s, Cobra Amp Cell Offset and now the Covert. Same result.. 100 yard Slice or dead low hook.

I have no true fitting options in my county, meaning full try diferent shafts with 1 head, lenght of the shaft, grip, etc etc..

2 options here, read read and read reviews and buy one from the rack or hit all drivers in the store (simulator) and pick one.

What worries me about the second option is the fact that im not going to be able to hit different shafts, only stock ones. Which means hitting 46" long shafts that i cant hit.

Is it worth getting a new driver (300+ dollars) just by testing a whole bunch of them or is it better to just get q high rated used driver on ebay for less than 100 bucks and sell it if it doesn't work?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Is there a reason you are looking to move away from the covert? If you were fit for it, is it not performing now? We all understand the desire for shiny new things. God knows I like new gear :) but if the covert is working well then you should keep it in the bag :)

Sent from my SM-N900T using Tapatalk

Since you have no fitting options near you, why not go and hit some drivers, take a photo of the numbers on each and then post them here, there are a multitude of guys that could at least help steer you in the right direction.

I tried to say i've never been fitted for a driver...

Ya I got that. What store is close to you that you are able to hit these drivers?

Oh I see. If a real fitting is an option, then hit as many as you can to narrow down to a few that you like then hit them again. Key is not to fall in love with one when you are swinging well but find the one that you hit well on good days, AND is forgiving on days that you are off. Hope it helps

Sent from my SM-N900T using Tapatalk

Your large miss is a swing flaw that no driver will fix. The money will be much better spent on lessons to fix your swing flaw.

Only then will it make sense to get a new driver

Without trying to insult you or anything because I don't know anything about your game but have you considering having someone look at your swing? 100 yrd slice or polar opposite hook indicates it could be a swing thing? I know for me that's usually the problem not my driver. Like I said I mean no offense in any way just saying it might save you a little money and your current driver is quite good imo

No driver will cure a bad swing path, i know that. BUT... I've seen people that fight a slice that after proper fitting they get a baby fade and play from the fairway..

I hit my irons very well and i tee up my x hot 3 deep very consistent...

I too would look at lessons. There's less margin of error with the driver. I too can hit my 3 wood easier than a driver at my intended target. But, to answer your question, I would buy from Ebay. Good luck getting your driver working.

Sent from my SGH-i917 using Tapatalk

Work on your grip. Watch some videos on it. Cured my low hook.

We've established that the swing is the reason for the big slice, but if I'm reading what you're saying correctly, you'd kind of like to find a driver that's more forgiving of that particular swing flaw and would lessen the severity of your slice, perhaps even morph it into more of a fade. Right? If so, I'd suggest looking into some of the clubs that they're calling "max game improvement" drivers now. At least, that's what they called them in the Hot List this year. I can tell you that the Cobra Baffler XL (it was the Amp Cell Offset last year) is really helpful for chronic slicers. I've hit it personally and it's really easy to square the face up and hit long, straight bombs. I haven't hit them, but the Cleveland Launcher and Callaway X2 Hot are lumped into this category as well. I hit the X2 Hot and it's solid as well. No experience with the Launcher, but I'd imagine it's pretty good too. The point is, the top shelf, adjustable drivers aren't always right for everyone and there could very well be a simpler solution for you. Maybe not a complete, full-proof solution, but one that gets you more consistently livable results.

I had the same problem. Fitting is not an option for me financial reasons. I went the buy from ebay/ online classifieds and sell it if it doesn't work option. it allowed to play multiple brands, models and flexes until I could find what I liked. PLus with the everchanging technology, clubs are always readily available bc guys are constantly "upgrading". It's not ideal for most people but it worked for me. good luck.

I would go hit an R1. Probably the most adjustable driver ever made and a club that can hide a myriad of swing flaws. The price just dropped to 180 retail, even cheaper used.

I would go get someone to look at my swing to help with the 100 yard slice first then if you still don't like the Covert I would hit a bunch in the sim post your numbers here and ask for some suggestions then hit the market place and Ebay. Not every driver is 46 inches and when you get your swing looked at you could ask him or her what length they suggest, you can always cut down a shaft to your recommended length.

Update here... So i went to the store this morning, they don't do fitting for after market shafts but they do let you try clubs with GC2 on...

I was getting over 4k spin rate with. 20+ launch angle with the covert.. Tried several and i finally got a winner...

11.8 launch angle and 2800k spin rate with the Titleist 913 d2 set to 8.5 degrees, adila shaft... My swing speed went up from low 90's to 98-100 mph when they changed the shaft from regular to stiff... That gave me aprox 30-40 more yards of carry... Dispersion was very good also.. Averaging around 8L...

Never came thru my mind i could play stiff... But it worked... Apparently the swing weight in my covert was to light.. I needed more weight to correct part of my takeaway and fix my swing plane..

Im very excited to take it to the course... I might be able to drive the ball well now...

Fitting is so important.. Buying clubs without a launch monitor is waisting your money..

Forgot to mention.. I hit the R1, G25, Bio Cell, 913D2 and my own Covert...

Back