Stock Market & Retirement Planning

Okay, what happened with Yahoo? And why did their stock jump like 3 bucks as soon as after hours trading started?

Earnings.

I am looking forward to at some point getting into the market a bit more.

Right now I have my 401K which my company matches entirely with their stock. Luckily since I am in Healthcare IT the stock has done nothing but grow for the most part. Will look to diversify some down the line, but as I am not even 25 yet my 401K is a pretty high risk/return group of investments
If you have the means, try and start a Roth IRA as well. Tax free $$$ when you retire and you will thank your 25 year old self when it comes time to use it.

If you have the means, try and start a Roth IRA as well. Tax free $$$ when you retire and you will thank your 25 year old self when it comes time to use it.

Gotta love the Roth IRA.

Sent from my HTC6500LVW using Tapatalk

I have a friend who works in investment banking. Maybe I should reach out to him.. I don't really understand how those things work

Got into Westport Innovations (WPRT), a company that supplies technologies to original equipment manufacturers in the automotive industry that'll allow engines to run on natural gas or liquefied natural gas.
2 reasons:
1. Today, Fool.com mentioned it as a 52-week low, "buy" possibility.
2. At a lunch interview with T. Boone Pickens, TBP mentions natural gas and locomotives
http://www.fool.com/investing/general/2014/04/10/lunch-with-t-boone-pickens.aspx
A Pickens analyst adds: "There's an infinite amount of gas in the country. Infinite. So it's just a question of what price you need to get it out economically. LNG is a pretty big deal starting next year. And shortly after that we see the green shoots from the trucking side." This is one of the biggest trends they see occurring over the next decade: The conversion of trucks from diesel to natural gas.
"Moving goods is a commodity business," the analyst says. "When one piece of it moves it forces the rest of the puzzle to adjust. When you look at the adjustments taking place incrementally right now, and you factor in the increase in demand for gas around the world, by the end of this commodity cycle we believe gas is the winner.
Pickens jumps in: "I was with the CEO of Burlington Northern last week. He says they're going to natural gas. If the rail goes, they all have to go – trucking, everything."
"That will be the story written 10 years from now," his analyst says. "But it's happening. It's playing out right now. We're on the cusp of something major happening."

I have a friend who works in investment banking. Maybe I should reach out to him.. I don't really understand how those things work

Think of it like this....you put $$ into a Roth ira over your working years with dollars you have already paid taxes on. This $$ remains invested over that period of time. Say it grows to $500,000 by the time you retire. When you withdraw funds to use during retirement, you will not pay a penny of tax on any of those dollars. So when you pull out a dollar you get to keep the full dollar. If your 401k (money you have not paid taxes on yet) grows to $500,000 or whatever amount, every dollar you take out is taxable. So when you pull out a dollar you get to keep something like $.75 and the $.25 goes to the government. Big thing to remember is that it's highly unlikely tax rates will ever go down. More than likely better to pay the tax now and fund the Roth if your budget allows it.

I see now. Very interesting. I sent a text to my buddy and hopefully we can get something setup

I see now. Very interesting. I sent a text to my buddy and hopefully we can get something setup

Vanguard is a good place with low expense - no load funds you may want to check out. They're very helpful as well.

Do this for sure! I don't know what it is now to start up, maybe $500-1,000 but do it. And then try and contribute to it monthly, quarterly or yearly, which ever way you can and still pay the bills. If someone has a company retirement fund (401K) and they contribute to a Roth IRA, at the age of 25 you are WELL on your way to a comfortable retirement fund. It's the simple plan, it's the easiest plan and it's a very successful plan.

Think of it like this....you put $$ into a Roth ira over your working years with dollars you have already paid taxes on. This $$ remains invested over that period of time. Say it grows to $500,000 by the time you retire. When you withdraw funds to use during retirement, you will not pay a penny of tax on any of those dollars. So when you pull out a dollar you get to keep the full dollar. If your 401k (money you have not paid taxes on yet) grows to $500,000 or whatever amount, every dollar you take out is taxable. So when you pull out a dollar you get to keep something like $.75 and the $.25 goes to the government. Big thing to remember is that it's highly unlikely tax rates will ever go down. More than likely better to pay the tax now and fund the Roth if your budget allows it.

#CompoundingInterestIsAWonderfulThing

Taylor, check out T. Rowe Price as well. Super great to deal with and they have great target date funds to choose from. As others have said in regards to Roth IRAs and the long term tax benefits, I believe they are the only IRA that will allow you withdraw your money for a home purchase, medical expenses, child, tax free and without penalty.

Stock Market & Retirement Planning

I'm a financial planner and insurance agent at a small independent wealth management firm. The bulk of my business is working with families of all sizes and putting together plans for various situations. It's a lot of fun working with good people and seeing them through to their goals, whether it be retirement, a first home, college expenses or simply fun money.

As others have said, start small, make it a routine and keep your perspective during good and bad. Fundamental investing can take you a long way.

it's amazing to see people getting such good returns, especially with 401k. I thought mine was doing well, but some of the numbers posted here are making me want to find better investment selections. I'll be dipping my toe into the real estate game in the next few years, turning our current house into a rental and buying a new one for ourselves. The plan is to repeat this every time we get one paid off, until we live in the place we want to retire in. Then hopefully we'll be able to acquire a few other properties purely as investments.

Is anyone here a landlord? Any thoughts on the viability of that strategy versus stock/bond/etc?

I own three houses, one that I live in now.
Not really a landlord in the sense that you are talking about.
I move around a lot because of the military, and a few place I have moved to I bought a house that I now rent out.
I don't make any money off them, but the renters basically pay off the mortgages for me if that makes sense.
Have rented one since 2005 and the other since 2011. Plan on keeping the 3 I have for at least the next 5 years.
Not sure what I will do with them after I'm out of the military. But if you have any questions let me know.

I also vouch for Vanguard. Have been with them for 18 years. Solid company with low fees.

Don't do a lot of individual stocks but best one I have purchased so far has been Visa.

I also vouch for Vanguard. Have been with them for 18 years. Solid company with low fees.

Don't do a lot of individual stocks but best one I have purchased so far has been Visa.

I think we need to chat about this soon!

The day after tax day could make this one heck of an interesting day on the market. Going to be watching a few closely.

BOA is going to tumble today. Those litigation fees were crazy high.
If it goes very low, I might have to jump.

Flipped them back in the day for a nice little payday. I think at average I was in at $6.25 and ended up selling somewhere near $12

Flipped them back in the day for a nice little payday. I think at average I was in at $6.25 and ended up selling somewhere near $12

Me too. Bought at about $6 and sold at a similar price. Its at $16.39 right now but will drop heavily I have a feeling. My gut says if it goes below $10, I might jump. It wont get there today though. Need something else to take it there. It is the 2nd biggest bank in the US.

Me too. Bought at about $6 and sold at a similar price. Its at $16.39 right now but will drop heavily I have a feeling. My gut says if it goes below $10, I might jump. It wont get there today though. Need something else to take it there. It is the 2nd biggest bank in the US.

yeah if memory serves me it was back during all the bailout nonsense, consolidations, etc. Everyone was scared, I had a few bucks and went for it. Bottomed out again in 2011 too, should have got back in. Talk about a true rollar coaster of a stock. Not down too much in pre-market but definitely think its intriguing with the right kind of drop today

I had some BofA at the height of the crash and flipped it for a pretty nice gain. Did that with BofA and Citi both. Both worked out well for me.

Gonna jump on Delta Airlines and CERN today.

I would run from that ship faster than Greg Sabella can walk into a door. That loss is rough. They are down 1.35% already.

On a great note Nasdaq took the biggest rebound in 5 years.

Nice! Love seeing people buy cerner

I feel that companies like Cerner will be a good bet for the near future with the ACA law being in place. Hospitals will have to have Electronic Medical Records and other systems or be penalized so they are going to have a lot of volume for the next few years.

Back