Does Practice really help?

Actually, I work a full time job. I just practice and play just as much. I am hoping that golf will be my job someday soon.

I am guessing golf must be your job Callaway Girl. Because most do not have that time.

Wow, 40 hours a week at work and 40-50 hours a week of practice. Plus playing time? Doesnt leave a whole lot of time to sleep.

Nope, not really. I go to work at 6:30am. Practice on my two hour lunches everyday and practice when I get off of work for about 3-4 hours. Then hit the sack around 10:00pm. I do it all over again until the weekend. On the weekend, I usually play one or two rounds and practice at least 3-4 hours a day. Sometime, when I don't play, I practice for 8 hours on Saturday and 4-5 on Sundays.

Wow, 40 hours a week at work and 40-50 hours a week of practice. Plus playing time? Doesnt leave a whole lot of time to sleep.

I was being sarcastic....It was just a joke

Nope, not really. I go to work at 6:30am. Practice on my two hour lunches everyday and practice when I get off of work for about 3-4 hours. Then hit the sack around 10:00pm. I do it all over again until the weekend. On the weekend, I usually play one or two rounds and practice at least 3-4 hours a day. Sometime, when I don't play, I practice for 8 hours on Saturday and 4-5 on Sundays.

Wow, I like golf, but not that much...

Yeah, but if you want to be a professional someday and don't have a sponsor to foot the bills now, I don't think there's any other way to do it.

Yeah, but if you want to be a professional someday and don't have a sponsor to foot the bills now, I don't think there's any other way to do it.

I agree that sponsorship is vital, but until I acquire one, I must foot the bill myself. Hopefully, when I reach that level, I will get noticed if I can place high enough in a few tournaments. I still must improve in all areas of my game. The girls on tour mostly carrry a +5 handicap and I am no where close to that right now.

I agree that sponsorship is vital, but until I acquire one, I must foot the bill myself. Hopefully, when I reach that level, I will get noticed if I can place high enough in a few tournaments. I still must improve in all areas of my game. The girls on tour mostly carrry a +5 handicap and I am no where close to that right now.

I was wondering about the LPGA. The question is often raised in the context of how good do I need to play on the PGA, or is a +2 good enough to play PGA golf, etc. I haven't heard much about how the women pro handicaps stack up. Thanks for the info!

I remember reading somewhere that most PGA players should carry at least a +8 to be very competitive. The reading stated that Tiger is close to a +12, that is insane.

I was wondering about the LPGA. The question is often raised in the context of how good do I need to play on the PGA, or is a +2 good enough to play PGA golf, etc. I haven't heard much about how the women pro handicaps stack up. Thanks for the info!

Callaway Girl, that is not correct. It has been reported by most major publications that Tiger Woods is a +8 and that most players are between +1 and +6 on the PGA Tour.

You may be right JB. I was just quoting what I had read.

I heard that Tiger carries a +13.5 index. It was during the Tavistock Cup in 2007 and one of the broadcasters went into the clubhouse and checked the club handicap computer.

Now, whether that is accurate or not is a completley different issue.

They speak of Tiger's 13.5 Hanidcap in the past. He carried that index during that run that he had in which he won X number of tournies in a row. It was figured by some fans and was amazing. But it was only that stretch of 4 months that they figured. His miraculous run.

I don't have a grass range so I essentially beat balls... I can't work on things without grass and taking divots.

I can definitely relate to this, in Western Mass its hard to find decent grass ranges also. I have found a couple of decent ones in CT (its not as bad as it sounds I live on the Connecticut border).

I like to go and hit a couple of wedge shots to warm up and then practice on specific shots to a specific target, as if I were out on a course, if my shots are sporadic then I 'll see if I can determine what is causing it (or have one of my friends take a look). That is the best way I have found I can control myself from just going and beating a bucket of balls.

I try to work on hit consitent contact in the center of the clubface mostly with wedges. I do some work with the driver as well, but mostly work on wedge shots when I am practicing at the range.

I would say absolutely, practice helps.

when i go to the range i try to avoid buying a large bucket.
(large bucket for me is 120 balls,medium 60,small 25.)

i find 60 balls more than enough to practice what i need to, without getting bored. occasionally i will get an additional small basket if i get to the end and havent worked something out.

i have a couple of different routines.
both have a warm up, half shots and chipping to the closest target.
then 1 i will hit 3 full shots with each club, followed by the worst performing club(s) getting a share of the remaining balls
the other routine i split my clubs into 4 groups: PW-LW, 7-9, 4-6, Driver 3wood rescue.
i hit 3 shots with each club, but each group goes to the same target.

i find having these routines stops me beating balls as there is a purpose to it.

i occasionally go on the trackman and play some of the target games, and i am now trying to incorporate putting into my practice time which i have to admit to neglecting last year.

i find i play better on the course when i have practiced mid week, less bad shots creep in over the round compared to when i dont practice..

I actually do practice and that's probably why I'm at the range several hours on a medium bucket of balls. I take practice swings and try to figure out what I'm doing wrong and see how I can tweak whatever it is that I need tweaking.

Practice is the only way to improve,but it's not just about practice,it's about how you practice

Practice is the only way to improve,but it's not just about practice,it's about how you practice

I totally agree BigLefty! Just like JB and others I see guys and gals just swinging away at the range.

For me the only time that I take my golf bag to the range is when I am warming up. If I am going to practice or work on something I only take a couple of clubs to the range with me. I think that helps me to focus on what I want to do and limits me just beating balls on the range.

I will swing away on the range/beat balls if i'm working on something specific. Maybe a drill the pro gave me or something specific from my last lesson. So if he wants me to use my SW and start taking a divot, I'll get a bucket and go at it.

I'll setup, swing, watch my ball flight, think about what did/didn't happen right, get the next ball and repeat.

Now my last few sessions have been different because the ranges aren't open yet. I went to the school across the street and hit balls on some sports fields. I'll hit 5 balls or so with whatever club and then I'll grab my SW and chip/pitch the balls back. So if I hit 5 shots with my PW, I'll also hit about 10 - 12 more with my SW to get the balls back to my teeing area. I also tend to hit my wedges alot there since I have to worry less about cars/people that way.

Practice helps me if I go to the range with a specific purpose. Otherwise I fall into the trap of “beating balls” and from my viewpoint that does nothing to help your game.

I practice chipping and putting all the time. I'll hit the range with a small or medium bucket of balls if during my last round something was way off or if I want to change something.

Clubs are in the truck and if the thermo show's 40* I'll be on my way to "beat" balls, lol. Been so long that all I want to do is get the muscles good and sore. Last I checked it was 37* with strong North wind making it feel like 27*, but sunny!

I work on particular clubs- the ones I know I am going to use on the course I play. I am checking distances and direction. I always work on the driver the 8 Iron and the Wedge/Niblick. That will use up half of my time.

The rest is spent on clubs I am struggling with, or just staring to use. If I can't hit them consistently on the range at least 50% of the time, I won't put them in the bag.

Though today I had one of those days were nothing was working. I was dropping the niblick into the net at 110 yards like a pro, but the rest of the ones I usually rely on (driver, hybrids, etc) were all over the place- fat, hooks, slices and tops. Not sure what the trouble was.

Maybe I was just tired.

Booked a tune up session with my local pro anyway.

Back