gabuzo

Reaction score
Handicap
I hate tight lies. As a matter of fact I would rather be in the rough than 40 yds to the pin in the fairway. Can any one tell me what degree of bounce on a wedge would be best for tight lies? I see wedges with 14,12,10, 8 etc..:banghead:

I hate tight lies. As a matter of fact I would rather be in the rough than 40 yds to the pin in the fairway. Can any one tell me what degree of bounce on a wedge would be best for tight lies? I see wedges with 14,12,10, 8 etc..:banghead:

It will come down to what type of player you are. Are you a digger? Sweeper? etc...Are you hitting them fat or thin most of the time?

Less bounce on hardpan is suppose to be right. If you have a real steep swing you would want more bounce. If you have more of a rounded swing, you might need less bounce, however it really is a personal thing. I prefer more bounce on all my wedges. I think swing plane, etc. can affect the bounce coming into hardpan etc. It would be nice if you could borrow one with very little bounce and another wedge with plenty bounce and try both off the same stuff... Good Luck!

you may also want to consider 'bump and running' with a hybrid as well

I carry two wedges, a 54* with 12* of bounce for use mainly as a sand wedge, and a 58* with 8* of bounce for tight lies. I can use the 54 from tight lies, but I have to be careful to put it further back in my stance and make contact with the ball first. Otherwise, it can bounce off the hardpan and I end up hitting a bladed shot about twice as far as I planned.

Find a place on your range where traffic has compressed the ground and worn the grass away and practice this if you can.

I believe that everyone who cares about being a better player goes through the "scared-of-tight-lies" phase and I think it's just another necessary evolutionary step.

I can remember when I would prefer fluffy lies in the rough, no matter how deep, to anything sitting on grass that had no business being cut so close to the ground.

But as I got better and began to understand the benefit of hitting a ball with the entire clubface contacting it, I slowly (and grudgingly) began to try to work with tight lies. In the beginning, just like most other people, I was topping and chili-dipping everything in sight and getting quite frustrated in the process.
But that was actually a blessing because it pointed out to me that my swing wasn't as good as I may have thought it was and that I needed to tighten things up more than just a bit. As I worked on tightening things up, I began to hit much better shots because I was making much better contact - "ball first" contact and that opened up a whole new world.

Not long afterward, I began to actually prefer tight lies and that's when I knew that I had reached another plateau in the game of golf and from my new vantage point, the game looked quite a bit different.
I could now actually aim at targets and know that the ball would behave in a specific way because I was able to hit it cleanly and didn't have all that grass in between it and my club's face, so I could not only hit a specific shot, but I could reproduce it over and over and that opened up a world of possibilities.

So just like the "mulligan phase" (something else we all go through), the "fluffy lie" phase is another necessary step along the way and just like "hitting another one", the need for a fluffy lie becomes less and less important over time until it actually becomes more annoying than the tight lie itself used to be. When that happens, you're well on your way to becoming a golfer instead of just someone who plays golf.

-JP

I believe bounce could help some, but I think the way you play the shot would have much more influence. I just concentrate on making sure my hands are in front of the club, if done correctly it's almost impossible to blade the ball with the leading edge. I just follow what Mickelson teaches in his "Secrets of the Short Game" video, and it's working well so far. I still prefer a fluffy lie, but getting better.

Niblick. I play high desert courses with mostly tight lies. I also struggled with tight lies. I picked up a 37* niblick ( equal to a 9 iron loft) from ebay. It's unbelievable how easy it is to hit tight lies with this club.

Niblick. I play high desert courses with mostly tight lies. I also struggled with tight lies. I picked up a 37* niblick ( equal to a 9 iron loft) from ebay. It's unbelievable how easy it is to hit tight lies with this club.

37 = 9 iron? sooooooooo what would the 42 degree = ?

I believe that everyone who cares about being a better player goes through the "scared-of-tight-lies" phase and I think it's just another necessary evolutionary step.

I can remember when I would prefer fluffy lies in the rough, no matter how deep, to anything sitting on grass that had no business being cut so close to the ground.

But as I got better and began to understand the benefit of hitting a ball with the entire clubface contacting it, I slowly (and grudgingly) began to try to work with tight lies. In the beginning, just like most other people, I was topping and chili-dipping everything in sight and getting quite frustrated in the process.
But that was actually a blessing because it pointed out to me that my swing wasn't as good as I may have thought it was and that I needed to tighten things up more than just a bit. As I worked on tightening things up, I began to hit much better shots because I was making much better contact - "ball first" contact and that opened up a whole new world.

Not long afterward, I began to actually prefer tight lies and that's when I knew that I had reached another plateau in the game of golf and from my new vantage point, the game looked quite a bit different.
I could now actually aim at targets and know that the ball would behave in a specific way because I was able to hit it cleanly and didn't have all that grass in between it and my club's face, so I could not only hit a specific shot, but I could reproduce it over and over and that opened up a world of possibilities.

So just like the "mulligan phase" (something else we all go through), the "fluffy lie" phase is another necessary step along the way and just like "hitting another one", the need for a fluffy lie becomes less and less important over time until it actually becomes more annoying than the tight lie itself used to be. When that happens, you're well on your way to becoming a golfer instead of just someone who plays golf.

-JP

Now that is an excellent post on this JP!

You nailed it perfectly on the going through "phases" thing IMO, I'm just now working my way through my "fluffy lie" phase.

Great dang post.

The 42* niblick is comparable to the loft of a pitching wedge. The 37* attributes are for low running chip shots and hitting from tight lies. The 42* is rated higher for more lofted pitch shots to the green. This info is from the Cleveland Golf website.
I liked the 37* so much I picked up a 49*niblick to replace my 52* gap wedge.
The niblicks have shaved strokes off my score due to the ease of getting close to the pin for the chance of a one putt. I use them from 100 yds.

Thanks for the help. JP thanks for taking the time to send that encoraging post.
I do have a 42* niblick in my bag and use it quite often!

I feel the same way about my 56* niblick.....Also after going to the LA golf show a couple of weekends ago, I talked to the cleveland guys and they analyzed my swing. Said that the current cg15 wedge I was playing had too little bounce and that is why I kept hitting worm burners lol.....

Back