2014 US Open Contest & Thread - Awesome Prizes

I have to admit there is a level of irony in talking about a Pinehurst get together when an opportunity of a lifetime just opened up in the Carolinas, and so many in this thread, not only qualify, but have not even clicked on it.

Everyone that meets the qualifications for this opportunity should be taking a shot at getting in. Especially if you live in the Carolinas it is a short drive away for what for many may just be the most amazing experience you ever have on a golf course .

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk

I looked at it. You can get 1 round on #2, 1 round on another course, lodging and I think breakfast for two days for around $4,000. Don't know how much is for 1 round.

Any of the play and stay packages they have the surcharge for #2 is $195 on top of the package amount

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk

So THAT's why there were only 3 sub par scores for the tournament? It was too easy to play?

I would say the greens/pin placements had a lot more to do with the scores than the "waste" areas did, A LOT more. But that's just my opinion.

I didn't say it was an easy course. I referenced that this year versus years past being offline from the tee wasn't penalized.

As far as losing golfers and how that's fixed, I'm still a believer that until our economy rebounds and discretionary income increases, golf will not see a noticeable rebound no matter how much courses are "naturally" maintained.

I agree with this as well. Or at least I think it's part of the equation, which is why I personally feel that the answer to golf numbers declining is somewhere in the middle. The courses need to find an economically responsible way to maintain their courses (which are also environmentally low impact) AND people need to feel like they have some discretionary income to enjoy the sport. What will help with that is discounted green fees, which may happen when some of these courses are feeling the pinch a little more.

​Kaymer's WITB**

Driver: TaylorMade SLDR 460 (8.5 degrees)
Shaft: Graphite Design Tour AD DI-6X

3 Wood: TaylorMade SLDR (TS, 14 degrees)
Shaft: Graphite Design Tour AD DI-7X

Irons: TaylorMade Tour Preferred MC (3-iron bent to a 2-iron loft), TaylorMade Tour Preferred MC (3-PW)
Shafts: True Temper Dynamic Gold X100 Tour Issue

Wedges: TaylorMade XFT TP (54 bent to 51 degrees, 58 degrees)
Shafts: True Temper Dynamic Gold X100 Tour Issue

Putter: Ping Karsten 1959 Anser 2
Length: 35.5″
Loft: 3 degrees
Lie Angle: 70 degrees

Golf Ball: TaylorMade Lethal

-----------------
**Courtesy Golf Digest

Trump slams Pinehurst No. 2 restoration - has minor pissing contest with GC Travel Guy. Love the Maybe needs 1 of your waterfalls tweets by one guy.....

http://www.golfchannel.com/news/gol...r-gc-a-trump-attacks-pinehurst-twitter-061514

I was thinking more about this....Rumor has it a couple years ago he tried to buy a Private club in this area, the Membership voted no, so he got a hold of there roster & sent a letter to all members offering them a dues only Membership to Trump International in the hopes they would leave that club and it would tank. So my guess is this, Trump probably tried to buy Pinehurst & they said no, so now Pinehurst is his enemy.

not to mention at a course that will have some similar characteristics to Pinehurst #2

I have to admit, watching Pinehurst #2, my brain was drawing quite a few parallels to True Blue.

I have to admit, watching Pinehurst #2, my brain was drawing quite a few parallels to True Blue.
Same here, they kept saying natural areas, and I kept calling them waster bunkers or waste areas!

I was thinking more about this....Rumor has it a couple years ago he tried to buy a Private club in this area, the Membership voted no, so he got a hold of there roster & sent a letter to all members offering them a dues only Membership to Trump International in the hopes they would leave that club and it would tank. So my guess is this, Trump probably tried to buy Pinehurst & they said no, so now Pinehurst is his enemy.

I don't think Pinehurst has that kind of membership.

I don't think Pinehurst has that kind of membership.

I believe Pinehurst is privately owned similar to Doral, those are the kind he can buy easier than a Member/equity owned club.

Interesting tidbits....

From the USGA media department:
- Martin Kaymer’s eight-stroke victory is tied for the fourth-largest margin of victory in U.S. Open history. Tiger Woods (2000, 15 strokes), Willie Smith (1899, 11 strokes) and James Barnes (1921, nine strokes) are the only players with larger winning margins. Kaymer’s total ties Rory McIlroy’s eight-stroke victory in 2011.

- Martin Kaymer’s eight-stroke victory in the 2014 U.S. Open is tied for the ninth-largest margin of victory in major championship history.

- Martin Kaymer’s 72-hole total of 271 is the second-lowest score in U.S. Open history. Rory McIlroy’s 268 at the 2011 U.S. Open at Congressional is the lowest.

- Martin Kaymer’s 9-under-par score ranks behind only Rory McIlroy (2011, 16 under) and Tiger Woods (2000, 12 under) for most strokes under par in a U.S. Open.

- Martin Kaymer is the first German to win a U.S. Open. Kaymer is the second German to win a major championship, having previously won the 2010 PGA Championship to join Bernard Langer, winner of the 1985 and 1993 Masters.

- Martin Kaymer is the first player from continental Europe to win the U.S. Open.

- Martin Kaymer is the first player to win both the U.S. Open and The Players Championship in the same year.

- Martin Kaymer is the 34th foreign-born U.S. Open champion. Eight of the last 11 U.S. Open winners are foreign-born: Retief Goosen (2004), Michael Campbell (2005), Geoff Ogilvy (2006), Angel Cabrera (2007), Graeme McDowell (2010), Rory McIlroy (2011), Justin Rose (2013) and Kaymer (2014).

- Martin Kaymer is the eighth U.S. Open champion who led start-to-finish with no ties. Walter Hagen (1914), James Barnes (1921), Ben Hogan (1953), Tony Jacklin (1970), Tiger Woods (2000, 2002) and Rory McIlroy (2011) are the others.

- Martin Kaymer also won start-to-finish at the 2014 Players Championship.

- Martin Kaymer is the 18th player to have won both the U.S. Open and the PGA Championship.

- Martin Kaymer has won on six out of seven occasions when he has held the 54-hole lead in PGA Tour and PGA European Tour tournaments.

- Martin Kaymer is just the third 54-hole leader to win the U.S. Open in the last 10 years. Rory McIlroy (2011) and Tiger Woods (2008) are the others.

- The 2014 championship came in Martin Kaymer’s seventh U.S. Open appearance. His best previous finish was a T-8 in 2010 at Pebble Beach. He had never previously broken par for 72 holes in a U.S. Open.

Courtesy: Geoff Shacklefords' site.

I was curious when my Phil Mickelsen autographed Pinehurst No. 2 flag was going to be sent - and do I have to be home to receive it or will FEDEX just leave it at the door.

I was curious when my Phil Mickelsen autographed Pinehurst No. 2 flag was going to be sent - and do I have to be home to receive it or will FEDEX just leave it at the door.

Did you win the contest?

I remember watching it Sunday with my dad and saying I bet someone calls in about this.

Article from Back9Network.com

[video=youtube;NismVeX-tXA]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NismVeX-tXA[/video]

By this time everyone knows that Martin Kaymer put on a clinic at the 2014 U.S. Open Championship at Pinehurst, blowing away the field in a wire-to-wire victory. But did you know that there was a small chance all of it would come crashing down by way of disqualification?
While playing hole No. 10 in his final round, Kaymer found himself in one of the “natural waste areas” at the renovated Pinehurst No. 2 course. He grabbed a wedge, blasted the ball out of the sand and went on with his business.
But then NBC’s super slo-mo cameras picked up on something interesting:

Is that a double-hit? Hard to tell, but to me it looks like the leading edge of Kaymer’s club hits his ball first, followed by the topline of the clubface milliseconds after. OR, debris off the club could have pushed the ball mid-flight. (By the way, the title of that YouTube video is misleading as there is no possible way Kaymer “cheated” on that shot.)
So what’s the point? Indulge me while I put my Inspector Conjecture hat on for a second.
Immediately following his final round, Kaymer was greeted by USGA president Mike Davis while walking off the 18th green. Television cameras and microphones very clearly recorded Davis instructing Kaymer to “take his time” with his final scorecard.
Was this Davis simply reminding Kaymer to take a breath, relax and make sure he takes care of business while in the scorer’s area despite having just won the U.S.-freakin’ Open?
Or did Davis want to allow tournament officials time to review this video to determine if Kaymer should have been penalized for a double-hit? There was some chatter on Twitter suggesting that a video review was taking place, but it was never mentioned on the telecast.
So what could have happened had Kaymer been ruled to have double-hit his golf ball, preceded by signing his card without first adjusting his score for that 10th hole (assuming he wasn’t first made aware of the video review)?
Under Rule 6-6b of the Rules of Golf, Kaymer would have been disqualified for signing an incorrect scorecard. My, what a story that would have been.

Thats it, I want to see a Compton/Fowler playoff right this second!

Yeah that shot was brought up on Twitter at the time.

I watched the super slow mo about 6 or 7 times on DVR. It is very inconclusive at best. But I would say it didn't Look like a double hit to me.

Nothing to see here.

I watched the super slow mo about 6 or 7 times on DVR. It is very inconclusive at best. But I would say it didn't Look like a double hit to me.

Nothing to see here.

When I watched it live, I thought it was probably a double hit. But the more I see the replay the more inconclusive it is to me. You are right nothing to see here. Just found it interesting.

Nothing to see here.

rule is that it has to be seen by the naked eye and not some digitally enhanced method, right? can you really see that with the naked eye at that swing speed, with sand flying? impossible.....

rule is that it has to be seen by the naked eye and not some digitally enhanced method, right? can you really see that with the naked eye at that swing speed, with sand flying? impossible.....

if we cant tell with super slow mo.. idk how kaymer is supposed to tell or feel that. he couldnt be punished

When I watched it live, I thought it was probably a double hit. But the more I see the replay the more inconclusive it is to me. You are right nothing to see here. Just found it interesting.

Oh yeah. It had my interest to. Interesting thought on Mike Davis telling him to take his time.

I do think he was just being helpful not stalling. I think if they were really reviewing it, they would have told him right then.

Just like the PGA officials did with Dustin Johnson at whistling straits.

Oh yeah. It had my interest to. Interesting thought on Mike Davis telling him to take his time.

I do think he was just being helpful not stalling. I think if they were really reviewing it, they would have told him right then.

Just like the PGA officials did with Dustin Johnson at whistling straits.

I heard Mike Davis saying that, and I just thought it was to just remind Kaymer to make sure there aren't any errors. It would really suck to win by so much, and then get DQ'd for an incorrect scorecard.

Back