Taylormade R9 Irons

Re: THP Breaking News - Taylormade R9 Irons

Re: THP Breaking News - Taylormade R9 Irons

JB said:
Tough call, but I would say in no particular order, here are the top 5.

Mizuno MX-200
Nickent 4DX Pro
Cleveland CG7 Tour
Taylormade R9
Nike Split Cavity
Jb are those in order?

I played about 20 rounds in about 3 months with mine and I Really Really wanted to like those clubs but just didnt. It was what I called a dead feeling. They never had that "sweet spot" feel on a good hit and on an off center hit it was horribly harsh. I even invested $100 in Winn grips attempting to dilute the harshness and keep the clubs. The end result was digging out the 15 year old irons (first set I ever bought, rusting shafts and all) and selling the CGBs for 1/2 the price of new.

I get that dead feeling with CGBs as well. I thought it was just me but when you do hit that sweet spot it feels good. The one thing I cant argue with is the results of them, even with that dead feel the shot always ends up where I want it to be for the most part. Im thinking of new irons soon as well, while the CGBs are easy to keep straight compared to my old irons, the distance of them is way off.

The one thing I cant argue with is the results of them, even with that dead feel the shot always ends up where I want it to be for the most part.

I wouldnt argue with you a bit there. The terrible stingers just trumped that wonderful forgivness for me...

Thanks for sharing that gasman. I feel better hearing this from others.

I went into GS with full intent of checking out some Mizunos. I grabbed an MP-58 and MX-200 (no 300s there). The R9 bin was only 10' away from where I was hitting so you know I had to try one of them too. I hit the Mp-58 first and it was very nice. I didnt care for the MX-200 as much as the mp58. Then I hit the R9, it felt a LOT better then the CGB I was use too, Pretty darn close to the 58 even. I was a little shocked. Even looked twice to see what I was hitting. Confused I went though them all again with pretty much the same results.

That was the first balls I've hit in 3 months and again, im really not a fan of judging clubs from a mat into a net but I'm going to go back and do it again, probably a couple more times.

I played the CGB Max for just 1 round of golf. I did not care for the slightly harsh feel. They hit the ball well and the distance was "ok", but nothing special for me. The R9s feel silky soft and I get more distance from them.

Ditto on the CGB Max. I couldn't have put it better. I have a set that I'm going to replace. Hello BST! They feel very harsh.

I bought a cheap set of Cobra S9's and they feel night and day better than the CGB's (can't knock the distance though).

I hit the R9 and the Diablo Edge Forged irons at Golfsmith the other day. Both of them feel like butter compared to the CGB's. I was really amazed by the R9 feel. May change my thinking a bit about new irons once the snow clears about June here in Central Ohio.

I'm just 45 mins north of you mrslate. Starting to get some grass peeking thru the snow here. Still 2'+ laying in drift areas tho!

Ok, So the feedback Im getting is I was NOT crazy in thinking the CGB was not TM's best iron offering. Thats good! (for me) :act-up:

Honestly I wouldnt have given the R9 a consideration at all after owning the CGBs had I not just happen to hit one... I'm getting anxious to hit them again now. I'd like to hit into a sim the next time.

I agree on the R9's. I had no intention of considering them until I hit them. One of the best feeling cast irons I've ever hit.

You and I agree on the CGB's Treg.

As far as the weather goes, you'll have no grass "peeking thru" after today! Another 2-4" here. Is it ever going to let up? I'm more than sick of this!

:

Honestly I wouldnt have given the R9 a consideration at all after owning the CGBs had I not just happen to hit one... I'm getting anxious to hit them again now. I'd like to hit into a sim the next time.

In Taylormades defense I dont think they had the two sets in the same category but I could be wrong. I thought the CGB was marketed as a SGI and the R9 a GI.

I'm just 45 mins north of you mrslate. Starting to get some grass peeking thru the snow here. Still 2'+ laying in drift areas tho!

Ok, So the feedback Im getting is I was NOT crazy in thinking the CGB was not TM's best iron offering. Thats good! (for me) :act-up:

Are you around the Lima area? I'm about 1:30-1:45 north of Columbus

Yep, the peeking grass is gone now. We got another inch or two today and its still snowing. It cant be much longer tho can it?!

In Taylormades defense I dont think they had the two sets in the same category but I could be wrong. I thought the CGB was marketed as a SGI and the R9 a GI.

That could be! Honestly, I dont even know what SGI stands for.

I bought the set of CGBs thinking I was getting the most advanced set of GI irons they had produced to date. (I had previously owned the original RAC OS irons and I loved those.) I expected the same from the "upgrade". Why? Because of the Taylor Made marketing behind them. Dont get me wrong, I dont feel like a victim here, I made the purchase without spending the time hitting them, so for that I do blame myself... But I truely expected more for what I invested in those clubs. A lot more.

EHSGolf1,

I am about the same distance from Lima as I am from Columbus, just east of Marion.

R9 Irons

R9 Irons

I've had my R9's about a month. KBS steel R shaft. 5-A in the bag.

Good: accurate, solid, about 1/2 club longer, great shaft, good flighting
Bad: muted feel. Balls still goes appropriate distance, but you wouldn't know it by the feedback.

9 handicap senior

the R9 insert curse strikes....

sending my 7 iron back..and maybe my PW as the inserts are not properly glued in and they sound like a driver when you hit them.."PING"

all the rest are awesome....:D

r9

r9

My r9 experience was not as positive. I demo them on a simulator mat , bought them based on the good numbers I was getting.
Should have known better , once on grass different story. I didn't care for the
soles perhaps too wide for me. Couldn't seem to get them though the turf.
Short irons were ok I struggled hitting greens with the mid and long irons. The feel and sound was just so so . A little on the clicky or something.

I ended up demoing some i15"s on the range , love em everything the r9 were not.
Accurate and a crisp feel , lower ball flight. Picked up a like new set at the PGA super store.
The r9's may be great irons just not for me. I am not trying to upset anyone
but just posting my experience with them.

L57

L57

Grrrr. :angry:
Just kidding, its kind of a bummer that they didnt work for you but im glad you found a set that worked. Were you able to sell them or trade them in?

Grrrr. :angry:
Just kidding, its kind of a bummer that they didnt work for you but im glad you found a set that worked. Were you able to sell them or trade them in?

I was able to sell them at a loss of course. It's my fault for not waiting to trying them on grass , living in the great white north. A lesson to all demo , demo, in real world conditions.:banghead:
L57

R9's vs AP1 710's

R9's vs AP1 710's

Because of the crappy winter here in Denmark, I haven't been out yet to try these clubs. Have of you guys tried hitting both and compared them? I've tried hitting them in Sim's and they were both great, the only thing with the R9's that didn't go well with me was that I didn't get much feedback on mishits compared to the AP1's. The huge plus though was that I didn't loose much distance on mishits.

Great review on both clubs by the way.

I have and it is no doubt that for my game the R9s offer more performance.
Distance, Forgiveness, Better Feel, etc...

It will be different for most people, but I have both sets sitting here and I cannot make a single argument for the AP1 710s for my game.

R9s were too "clicky" but the TPs were a lot better in every department.

Still like Mizunos more...even in the game improvement category!

R9s were too "clicky" but the TPs were a lot better in every department.

Still like Mizunos more...even in the game improvement category!

You thought the R9s were clicky? I have not heard that before. I have heard good and bad, but never clicky. THe foam in the head would kill the click feeling I would think.

You thought the R9s were clicky? I have not heard that before. I have heard good and bad, but never clicky. THe foam in the head would kill the click feeling I would think.

my 7 iron was very clicky..LOL...

rest of the set was fine.

can anyone with R9's please check something for me.

your inserts in the back of the irons, can you check if there is any gap around the insert, between the plastic and the metal?

reason being, got my 7 iron back and its tightly fitted to metal with no gap. i have 4 other irons which have gaps at the bottom edge of the iron.
im worried that it should be tight fitted and no gap and want to confirm if the gap is normal or i have a few incorrectly fitted inserts.

TIA

My r9 experience was not as positive. I demo them on a simulator mat , bought them based on the good numbers I was getting.
Should have known better , once on grass different story. I didn't care for the
soles perhaps too wide for me. Couldn't seem to get them though the turf.
Short irons were ok I struggled hitting greens with the mid and long irons. The feel and sound was just so so . A little on the clicky or something.

L57

I tried these irons briefly and this was my exact thoughts. For me, there was a "clicky" feel to them......
I went back to my comfort zone and what has worked for me the last several years......

can anyone with R9's please check something for me.

your inserts in the back of the irons, can you check if there is any gap around the insert, between the plastic and the metal?

reason being, got my 7 iron back and its tightly fitted to metal with no gap. i have 4 other irons which have gaps at the bottom edge of the iron.
im worried that it should be tight fitted and no gap and want to confirm if the gap is normal or i have a few incorrectly fitted inserts.

TIA

My irons have that little gap. I had insert issues with the first set I had, but TM sent me another set and I have not had any issues with them at all.

My irons have that little gap. I had insert issues with the first set I had, but TM sent me another set and I have not had any issues with them at all.

Thanks Seth. puts my mind at ease. got to wonder how the fitting of the insert can be so inconsistent..!!

Thanks Seth. puts my mind at ease. got to wonder how the fitting of the insert can be so inconsistent..!!

That is a good question. There is so much technology in these clubs, but the insert in the back is their only weakness. They put a double sticky pad and plopped the insert in there. I don't really care as long as they stay put and they continue to hit the ball like they have been. I love pulling these irons out to hit a shot.

Back