Cleveland HB3 Hybrid/Iron Set

JB

Follow @THPGolf on Social Media
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
These just arrived at THP Headquarters for review and they look like a lot of fun. SGI irons are picking up steam with a lot of readers looking for maximum forgiveness and these appear to be that type of set. Tough to see from these early photos, but these start at full hybrids and with each iron get thinner up to the PW.

802950662_c6nt5-L-1.jpg

802950765_PvLmj-L-1.jpg

802950700_H7gEy-L-1.jpg

802950646_6TTfS-L-1.jpg

802950790_GZedo-L-1.jpg

I understand the need for SGI irons, etc but does that technology have to carry all the way to the PW? :confused2: That thing looks monstrous!

• Admin
I understand the need for SGI irons, etc but does that technology have to carry all the way to the PW? :confused2: That thing looks monstrous!

Its actually not that bad TH. In hand it makes the set kind of flow together.

I had been using the previous version of these for 2 seasons. They work. Yes its a bit odd to look down on a Hybrid PW but they get the job done. The ball goes way up straight and comes down soft. I found the only issue with the Xli's was the distance. But for anyone coming to or coming back to the game they were great confidence building clubs.

I have swung these clubs a few times and I really like them. They are very easy to swing and the ball flight is nice and straight. I almost pulled the trigger on getting a set two weeks ago at a demo day with Cleveland but decided to wait a bit. So JB, when you are done testing these you can just send them my way.

What are the first 3 clubs on the left? They have a very large back to them!

• Admin
They are the 3,4, and 5 hybrid.

They are the 3,4, and 5 hybrid.

My hybrids look like mini woods (with big faces), but these look similar to chippers (is that what they're called?)!

• Admin
My hybrids look like mini woods (with big faces), but these look similar to chippers (is that what they're called?)!

Hybrids come in all shapes and sizes.

I have swung these clubs a few times and I really like them. They are very easy to swing and the ball flight is nice and straight. I almost pulled the trigger on getting a set two weeks ago at a demo day with Cleveland but decided to wait a bit. So JB, when you are done testing these you can just send them my way.

Wish it was that easy WR. Come to FL and you can play them for the entire outing...hehe

I find it a little odd that theres no writing or logo on the back?? Looks kinda plain. But if I were just starting out in golf and or really struggled getting the ball off the ground Id be looking at these for sure.

So I have been testing these for a few days and I have to say they are very different. For people that like hybrids more than irons, this could be the ultimate set. It is possibly the most forgiving set I have ever hit. Off the toe, off the heel, high on the club face...No issues. High and straight.

I actually got into a groove with these at the range today and was really enjoying them. So different than most.

Forgiving high and straight sounds a lot like the diablo irons that you just finished up reviewing. How do these stack up against the diablo's?

Forgiving high and straight sounds a lot like the diablo irons that you just finished up reviewing. How do these stack up against the diablo's?

Totally different kind of set. Both are extremely forgiving, but I would put those in the GI category and these far more into the SGI if we are comparing just the two of them.

This is far more geared to someone looking for ultimate forgiveness and willing to sacrifice just about everything else for that. The Diablo Edge is far more "regular" and as mentioned in the review can be worked around the course.

Someone will be able to draw this one, but getting a controlled cut is virtually impossible.

How did you find the length of these on the course? I thought the Xli's were hugely forgiving, but sacrificed quite a bit of length to achieve it- at least for me.

How did you find the length of these on the course? I thought the Xli's were hugely forgiving, but sacrificed quite a bit of length to achieve it- at least for me.

I have not noticed a distance loss really. But they are not long on distance either. I would not compare them to the Burners or Diablo Edges. But they seem in line with most SGI irons we have tested.

These just arrived yesterday in my preference of a steel shaft (over graphite from before) and I took them out for a nice range session. I have never been one to struggle with certain irons, and I guess I am fortunate because so many do, but for high and straight, these are really tough to beat.

So are they going to be your non-testing iron set?

So are they going to be your non-testing iron set?

There is a possibility. A strong one. I have to play some more rounds with them first. I mean iron covers and hybrid irons. That is what makes you a serious golfer. Or maybe its actually playing golf. Im so confused.

There is a possibility. A strong one. I have to play some more rounds with them first. I mean iron covers and hybrid irons. That is what makes you a serious golfer. Or maybe its actually playing golf. Im so confused.

i'm sorry, you can't own a golf related website and forum and have hybrid irons and iron covers, that's just not kosher.

nah, i know you are pretty jazz'd about testing this process out and i know it's been on your mind since pga national, so i wish you good luck with the experiement.

These just arrived yesterday in my preference of a steel shaft (over graphite from before) and I took them out for a nice range session. I have never been one to struggle with certain irons, and I guess I am fortunate because so many do, but for high and straight, these are really tough to beat.

As a person who is on the other end of the spectrum from you JB, I have struggled time to time with my irons and I really like these as well. Every time I hit them I get the same result, high and straight. I still have the XLIs in my bag and they work for me but I can see myself moving to these in the near future. These are wonderful clubs for somone looking in the SGI category.

i'm sorry, you can't own a golf related website and forum and have hybrid irons and iron covers, that's just not kosher.

nah, i know you are pretty jazz'd about testing this process out and i know it's been on your mind since pga national, so i wish you good luck with the experiement.

Funny thing is, some actually believe that. I would play a brick on a stick if it lowered my scores.

I hear a lot of people say it but not many that do, if it were true wouldn't we all have the "Hammer" in our bag :D

Funny thing is, some actually believe that. I would play a brick on a stick if it lowered my scores.

I can't believe I never saw this thread before.

The HB3's work great for me, and around the green, they work similar to a chipper, so I basically have a Niblick 37 and 42 built in! I've been playing a long time, but these work for me better than any I have ever had. I used them both days at the spring outing and then they showed up at my house a few days after I got home! I wish I'd have made the fall festivities so White Rhino could have tried them out!

Back