Iron and shaft advice.. Bridgestone j36.

RedRum

Reaction score
Handicap
Hi all, I went to my local golf shop today, and they have a set of combo j36 irons there.

The 3-5pocket cavity
6-8 split
and 8,pw blade.
Poject X 6.0 shafts

My question is about the fit of these irons for my game. I usually shoot in the 80's, with a driver swing speed about 90. I hit my 9iron 130, 8 140...
Curently play Cleveland ta5's with sk fiber graphite shafts in R flex.

How would these affect my iron game? Are the shafts too stiff for me? What are the advantages and disadvantages of this set for my game?

Hey JB, if you have demo'ed this set, how is the forgiveness factor?

Thanks guys and gals, I really need help on this one!!

I like this set a lot, but I would not call them the most forgiving set by any means. They are really for the most part players clubs. If you like to work the ball around the course, then this could be a great set for you. If you are looking for high and straight, this one is not really the set.

Now having said that, let me further say that it is a phenomenal set of clubs. They do have forgiveness compared to that of a straight blade set. Especially if you have a tendency to hit it a little high on the club face. (from my testing anyway). I think this set is a great option for people looking to get into players clubs.

Now having said that even further, I think that Bridgestone added the J38s this year and they are in my opinion a superior set of clubs in many ways. The use of different metals and different weighting have really added to a softer feel. They have added some more forgiveness out by the toe (in our testing) and the entire set is great. Both are actually.

So in winding down my gibberish, I would say that if you are trying to go into players clubs, they are a good buy. If you want something that could have more forgiveness to keep it straight, there are other options.

Yeah, not really sure if I am ready for a players set. As I would estimate my handicap around a 14 right now. And I struggle with long game way more than my short game.

Also, the guy at the shop said the 6.0 might be too stiff for me, and reduce spin by too much. I hit the 5iron, and seemed to hit it very well, off the matts though... And that is the Pocket Cavity version.

Oh, and the price is what caught my attention. 119$ brand new in wrapping and box!!

Thanks JB!!

Oh, and I agree that the feel was nice, I have never played a forged set before. I tend to miss on the bottom of the face, and toe area, so I would guess I need to focus on a set that is very forgiving in those areas.

Yeah, not really sure if I am ready for a players set. As I would estimate my handicap around a 14 right now. And I struggle with long game way more than my short game.

Also, the guy at the shop said the 6.0 might be too stiff for me, and reduce spin by too much. I hit the 5iron, and seemed to hit it very well, off the matts though... And that is the Pocket Cavity version.

Oh, and the price is what caught my attention. 119$ brand new in wrapping and box!!

Thanks JB!!

Oh, and I agree that the feel was nice, I have never played a forged set before. I tend to miss on the bottom of the face, and toe area, so I would guess I need to focus on a set that is very forgiving in those areas.

There are a lot of sets that really help the toe forgiveness out this year. Just to name a few.

R9s
CG7 BPs
Diablo Edge (review coming tomorrow)
MachSpeed (review coming next week)
MX-1000 (reviewed in magazine)
and so many more

However with that being said, if you like the feel, look, and price, you can always give it a shot. Or you can make your way down to FL for the golf outing and try out a slew of irons...:act-up:

Thanks JB!!

$119???????? Is that right????

$119???????? Is that right????

We have seen that a few times. The set is a few years dated now and the new stuff has hit shelves.

We have seen that a few times. The set is a few years dated now and the new stuff has hit shelves.

What a great deal! Good luck with your iron search!

JB. Thanks for the invite!!

I didnt really think I needed a new set, but saw the price on these, and LOVE my new bridgestone wc wedge, so wanted to know what some knowledgable ppl thought.

Oh, and what do you think about the shafts? is the 6.0 siff, or extra stiff?

And yes, the price is 119$ I could not believe it.... Almost bought them on impulse! haha

I didnt really think I needed a new set, but saw the price on these, and LOVE my new bridgestone wc wedge, so wanted to know what some knowledgable ppl thought.

And yes, the price is 119$ I could not believe it.... Almost bought them on impulse! haha

There are far more knowledgeable on these forums than me on those shafts. They feel a little stout for my game.

I'm not 100% sure but I think that the 6.0 is stiff and the 5.5 is regular.

SK Fibre TT 80s in R flex? PX 6.0 is like rebar compared to those. I don't think you would like them.

I play the J36, but my set is straight PC's, and I love them. I have the 5.0, which feels a bit stiffer than the R300's I had on my previous set. I believe the 5.5 compares about even to an S300, and the 6.0 between S and X. 6.5, I don't even want to think about.

All that said though, if it feels OK, and you hit them well, why not give them a rip at $119? I would love to find a set of straight cavity backs in 5.0 or 5.5 for that price. Did you see anything like that at this shop? And if so, do they ship?

goto10... yeah, I was afraid of that. Would the 5.0 be a better transistion?

I think I would like to get away from graphite in my irons, feels like I dont have the directional control I want. Could just be me,or my imagination though. haha.

goto10... yeah, I was afraid of that. Would the 5.0 be a better transistion?

RR... absolutely. The PX 5.0s will still be stiffer than your TT80s, but at least you'll be in the ballpark flex-wise. Hope that helps.

That's a great set. Are you sure about the flex of the shafts. Seems to me with a 90 MPH driver swing speed that 6.0's would be way too stiff. That swing speed is close to my range and I could never play with 6.0's, although we may load the club entirely different.

Yeah, the shafts are the 6.0's... So I decided not to buy them. If somebody on here wants them, I would see if they are still there, and help you get them.

Oh, and My sk fibers are the pure energy... if that makes a difference. I was fitted to them 3 years ago, when I drove the ball 180 yards.
Today I hit one 282 on the green... downhill, but still swinging way faster, so was wondering if I am loosing control with current shafts.

Back