Question regarding tee times

Golf Chick

Golf Fashionista
Reaction score
Handicap
Decreasing
So the BF and I played Birch Hills today (we got it on sale hee hee) anyways...our tee time was 1:08pm. They paired us up with a 3-some to make it 5 people. Besides that...at hole #4 we were all backed up 4 groups in. Does the golf course just send people out to make more money or is there supposed to be enough spacing between groups? The marshall came up to us and asked if we knew the 5-some rule (because he thought we were holding everyone up because all 5 of us were walking) when in fact it wasn't us at all because there was a group on every single hole. Just a bad day today, I guess. At 4 hours in we were only at hole #12, so we just left and didn't even finish. The backup was that bad!!

Also, what difference does it make whether they send out 4 couples versus 2 4-somes?

i think it all depends on the course...
i play pretty fast and slow play just kills my rhythm (not to mention my score)...
ive been to courses on very nice weekend days... got a round in under 3hrs and not even seen the group in front or behind... heck we had to double check the parking lot at the turn to even know if anyone else was on the course...
then there's courses that i dont even understand why they take tee times... where 5 hr rounds are common and there are groups on the teebox's/fw's/and greens on every hole...

and it all comes down to my fox and hound theory... the very first group out is the fox and every group behind it is the hounds giving chase... it all starts with the fox group...

but ideally... tee times should space groups out in order to keep them from meeting one another(yeah right)... if tee times were booked the way they should be booked... pace of play would flow much better and marshalls could actually know which group is holding up the course instead of 3 groups on every hole and marshalls being more security guards than anything else

I would have told them to stuff it. 5 people is too many. If they overbook it is thier issue to deal with. But no way should they be making groups of 5.

That is bad business since it frustates and holds up everyone.

5 is too many to send out in a group. There should never be more than 4 players in a group. Courses can do whatever they want but there is a reason for having a 4-some, in my opinion it is the most you can put together while still expecting a reasonable pace.

The bit about the fox is absolutely correct. Saturday at the course I work at was packed. We had 4-some after 4-some from 9 until 2:30. Just one of those days. On a day like that there's a fox every 3 or 4 groups. Not much you can do when it's like that. You can ask them to speed up and close whatever gap is in front of them but when a course is jam-packed there isn't much that can be done. You can't speed up the whole course.

Good timing on this topic. Yesterday, we played in 4-1/2 hours, which is not too bad.... BUT, the foursome in front of us was at least 4 holes behind when we finished. When we teed off, they were on the #1 green and we caught up with them by the 3rd tee box. We waited after that on every single shot. These guys were particularly slow around and on the greens. It was like watching grass grow.

The course marshal said that since they were moving at an acceptable pace (based on the course's established timeline) that he would not make them give way to us.

I think, as Fourputt says, their place is directly behind the group in front of them, not directly in front of the group behind them. We could have played in 3-1/2 to 4 hours if they hadn't dawdled around.

As to the 5-some, I could have been in an 8-some yesterday and still waited on the group in front. Many times I have had a twosome in a cart let my group of 4 walkers go through because they were holding us up. It isn't the number in the group, but the mindset of the members of the group. Its not a foot race, but if there is more than an open hole in front of you and people standing behind you waiting, you are doing something wrong.

Tee times are usually 8 - 10 minutes apart depending on the course. I won't play in a 5-some so I would have refused and gone elsewhere.

while I agree that 5somes should be avoided, and that tee times should be spaced farther apart (10-12 minutes apart, more than the 7 or as soon as the fairway's clear like many courses do)

if the course I was on was crazy slow, I think I'd rather be in a 5some watching someone in my group play shots rather than just sitting on a teebox waiting for clear space (but that's sort of what creates slow play anyway... everyone playing down to the slowest group on the courses speed)

It took 4 hours until we got to the 12th hole, we should've just not played and gotted a refund, it was just ridiculous!! There was even a sign that said if you have a 5-some you must ride it. Well, they should've given us all carts then, and it was the starters fault for pairing a group of 2 and a group of 3 together...Besides, we won't be playing there for a while again ... :D

Last edited:
while I agree that 5somes should be avoided, and that tee times should be spaced farther apart (10-12 minutes apart, more than the 7 or as soon as the fairway's clear like many courses do)

if the course I was on was crazy slow, I think I'd rather be in a 5some watching someone in my group play shots rather than just sitting on a teebox waiting for clear space (but that's sort of what creates slow play anyway... everyone playing down to the slowest group on the courses speed)

I disagree, I have played in 5somes and even a 6some where we were as fast or faster than a 3some in front of us. It is all about ready golf. to often out here I see a foursome infront of me who does not the term. They all go to each others ball and wait then travel as a pack to the next ball. When I play and am riding I drop my cart partner at his/her ball then move the cart halfway between theirs and mine and I walk to mine. Generally they will hit, walk to the cart, and drive to pick me up. It makes for much quicker play. If walking of course we all walk to our own ball and hit the shot and keep walking.

It is not the group size it is if the group understands ready golf and plays it.

It took 4 hours until we got to the 12th hole, we should've just not played and gotted a refund, it was just ridiculous!! There was even a sign that said if you have a 5-some you must walk it. Well, they should've given us all carts then, and it was the starters fault for pairing a group of 2 and a group of 3 together...Besides, we won't be playing there for a while again ... :D

I think you read that wrong.. the general rule at Birch and most places that will allow a 5 some is that all parties must ride in carts.

I think you read that wrong.. the general rule at Birch and most places that will allow a 5 some is that all parties must ride in carts.

I'm dyslexic!! I meant RIDE :)

But they shouldn't have paired us up with a 3some and we gave up after 12 holes and 4 hours of golf!! My thoughts are faster than my fingers and I don't catch mistakes and that was one of them, but you get my point!!

So the BF and I played Birch Hills today (we got it on sale hee hee) anyways...our tee time was 1:08pm. They paired us up with a 3-some to make it 5 people. Besides that...at hole #4 we were all backed up 4 groups in. Does the golf course just send people out to make more money or is there supposed to be enough spacing between groups? The marshall came up to us and asked if we knew the 5-some rule (because he thought we were holding everyone up because all 5 of us were walking) when in fact it wasn't us at all because there was a group on every single hole. Just a bad day today, I guess. At 4 hours in we were only at hole #12, so we just left and didn't even finish. The backup was that bad!!

Also, what difference does it make whether they send out 4 couples versus 2 4-somes?

First tip. Simply avoid courses which are so obviously in it for the green fees with no concern for the quality of the experience. You found out very quickly that a good deal isn't always a good deal. :dohanim:

What you experienced is simply unacceptable.

Most courses around here won't allow fivesomes. My home course does allow them, but with conditions attached. All five players must be riding in 3 carts, and they still have to commit to maintaining pace of play. They are told straight up that if they can't keep up, they will be asked to pick up and move ahead. If they don't agree to those conditions, then they are restricted to a maximum group of four. I've played the course in a fivesome in 3:55, so it isn't an unattainable goal. That day we even caught a threesome on 15 and had to wait on every shot thereafter. The thing is, all players have to be constantly aware of their position on the course and play as soon as the opportunity is presented. The fine art of honors and who's away has to be ignored in favor of ready golf. That said, I still prefer to limit play to 4 in a group. I'd say that 99% of the play is still in groups smaller than 5.

My home course sends groups out on an alternating interval of 9 and 8 minutes until 10:30 AM, then 9 minutes after that. I admit that I'm not a fan of that strategy (8 minute intervals just don't allow for any issues that might crop up), but I don't get to set policy. It works ok as long as those morning groups pay attention, but there are a couple of holes which inevitably still end up with a back up. The par 3 fourth hole is notorious, although usually you still only have to wait 5 minutes or so for just one group to clear the green. Unfortunately, I have seen 3 groups waiting on the tee with a 4th group not yet all on the green there. We've considered bringing a deck of cards and starting a revolving poker game on that tee box... :rolleyes:

And the greens were still seeded, so it wasn't a very pleasant golfing day at the course yesterday :(

Lesson learned, never again play a course where they just pack people on the tees!

I'm dyslexic!! I meant RIDE :)

But they shouldn't have paired us up with a 3some and we gave up after 12 holes and 4 hours of golf!! My thoughts are faster than my fingers and I don't catch mistakes and that was one of them, but you get my point!!

Did you get your round for 50% off?

Did you get your round for 50% off?

Nope, but I think it ended up just being $20/person. That's another thing too, when we book a tee time, to make sure the greens aren't seeded, it was awful!!

Nope, but I think it ended up just being $20/person. That's another thing too, when we book a tee time, to make sure the greens aren't seeded, it was awful!!

Ahh I asked because I got an email from them saying that I could get my next round at 50% off, and I thought maybe everyone had received the same email!:bananadance:

Ahh I asked because I got an email from them saying that I could get my next round at 50% off, and I thought maybe everyone had received the same email!:bananadance:

Nope, didn't get that e-mail!

I wouldn't play a course that allows 5somes - walk or ride - unless the rangers is aggressive in making sure that groups keep up. If you fall behind on my course, then you will be moved up by the ranger after 1 warning ! solves the problem. :banghead:

which is part of the problem, carts can often slow play down and discourage "ready golf"

Actually, we were all playing "ready golf" we just got backed up because of the groups ahead of us! And sit I was hitting from the red tees, I just went last :)

Shouldn't it be the same if it was 2 groups of 4 or 4 groups of 2?

which is part of the problem, carts can often slow play down and discourage "ready golf"

No they don't. :nono: Not trying to derail this topic, but that is an uneducated comment. Carts have absolutely nothing to do with slow play (when properly employed, it's just the opposite). Nor does walking, or skill level, or gender, or age. Get that out of your head right now. Slow players cause slow play, and they can come from every demographic. I work as a starter and I've been playing for 35 years, so I've pretty much seen it all. There is no specific group or type of play that causes slow play. It's exclusively caused by inattention or ignorance.

Now back to our regularly scheduled debate!

No they don't. :nono: Not trying to derail this topic, but that is an uneducated comment. Carts have absolutely nothing to do with slow play. Nor does walking, or skill level, or gender, or age. Get that out of your head right now. Slow players cause slow play, and they can come from every demographic. I work as a starter and I've been playing for 35 years, so I've pretty much seen it all. There is no specific group or type of play that causes slow play. It's exclusively caused by inattention or ignorance.

Now back to our regularly scheduled debate!

The only thing I would add to that is inconsiderate or selfish people who don't care that they aren't the only players on the course.

The only thing I would add to that is inconsiderate or selfish people who don't care that they aren't the only players on the course.

I figure that's covered under ignorance. They ignore their share of the responsibility for maintaining pace of play. In some cases education will relieve the ignorance, but for others only a 2x4 upside the head will get their attention. :angry:

i dont think it makes a diff with 2 4's or 4 2's... as long as everyone is keeping pace

Back