Miyazaki Shaft Winner - biggsy

biggsy

Reaction score
Just received the shaft from Miyazaki and the pictures below just do not do it justice.

This shaft is a work of art.

I am headed to golf galaxy to get a grip and a Callaway I-Mix fitting put on the shaft.

I'll give it a test run and then let you know how it performs.

Thanks again to THP and Tim Gillis from Miyazaki Golf Shafts for this great looking shaft.

mqbn8.jpg

fkmr11.jpg

nvzjbs.jpg

2h4zyty.jpg

mmcscz.jpg

208vha0.jpg

That...is...gorgeous! I cannot wait to hear how it plays! :blob:

I took my shaft to Golf Galaxy yesterday afternoon and I found out that the I-MIX fitting was not sold on the open market and you could only find it on ebay. Well I wasn't about to pay $70 for the fitting and I could not find any from the local Callaway rep I know or anyone else for that matter.

I decided I would put the shaft in my FT-9. I thought that until he told me he would have to drill out the original shaft and it would be ruined for a driver but might be able to use it on a fairway wood or something shorter. I wasn't keen on that idea because that means I would ruin the Miyazaki taking that out if I did not like it and I would be out 2 shafts. I love my FT-9 setup and did not want to monkey around with that, so I wasn't liking my options at this time.

The GM at GG decided to steal one of the fittings from his Callaway fitting system and experiment on taking it apart. He was able to take it apart without damaging the fitting and then fitted it to the end of the new shaft.

The shaft is 6 points stiffer than my current shaft, which is what I was looking for and it has a better kick point to get the ball a little higher off the tee.

I hit the shaft with an FT-9 head and I was happy with the results in the swing monitor. I was hitting the ball about 2 degrees higher and less spin...BONUS!

I am going to be playing a lot the next three days so I'll be able to give this a great test run in the new FT-iZ. I'll give my feedback over the next couple of days.

Big thanks to John from GG for helping me out and going the extra mile to make me happy.

So far, so good!

2wohwrk.jpg

28iqi47.jpg

Awesome biggsy. When you get to testing, start a thread on your experience, I think people will love to see how it is working. I am going back and forth between the black and the blue and love both.

Awesome biggsy. When you get to testing, start a thread on your experience, I think people will love to see how it is working. I am going back and forth between the black and the blue and love both.
I'll definitely do it.

That was my first re-shafting experience and I must say it was a good one. I love it when a company goes out of it's way to help customers out.

I would have been sick if I ruined both shafts and messed up a good set up with my current driver.

I like how companies are giving you options now to change shafts and set-ups with simple tools now. It's very neat how far the technology has come.

JB...are seeing a difference in the launch between the two shafts?

I'll definitely do it.

That was my first re-shafting experience and I must say it was a good one. I love it when a company goes out of it's way to help customers out.

I would have been sick if I ruined both shafts and messed up a good set up with my current driver.

I like how companies are giving you options now to change shafts and set-ups with simple tools now. It's very neat how far the technology has come.

JB...are seeing a difference in the launch between the two shafts?

A BIG difference. Black is far lower. Depending on the day, I have been switching them out. I think Blue is the way in my future though. Those at the THP FL outing can hit my driver with both on the Vector X and see which one works best.

Very cool biggsy, that's one nice looking shaft. Hope it works for you.

Moved to its own thread for biggsy.

I played an entire round and hit several range shots when I was warming up this morning. I've never owned an X-stiff anything, although I am discovering this is what I should have been swinging the last couple of years.

I always felt with the stiff shaft that it had a little too much lag if I went after a drive, I would tend to lose it right. So there was some trepidation in those kind of swings.

Tim Gillis from Miyazaki fitted me for this shaft based on our phone consultation and I must say he nailed it.

I fitted my shaft with the I-MIX fitting into a 9.5 FT-iZ. I was able to get the ball up a degree or two on the launch and if I go after a ball, the shaft is right there with the shot. There was no ballooning whatsoever, something I had with my FT-9 and stiff shaft setup.

I can't say I was any longer with this setup, but I was definitely straighter and more consistent.

I'm very impressed with this shaft and not only does it look good, but it performs beautifully. I am playing the next two days as well, so if I'll report back.

Awesome Biggs! That grip looks pretty good too. I was looking at that same one today at GG picking out my grip but went with the Winlite black instead. Good to hear its working out so well!

Awesome Biggs! That grip looks pretty good too. I was looking at that same one today at GG picking out my grip but went with the Winlite black instead. Good to hear its working out so well!
I looked at those as well, but I question the durability given how much I play and practice and they seemed very soft.

I have used "cords" for a couple of years and they last forever.

Let me know how you like the grip though, because I don't play with anyone that uses them.

That is an extremely gorgeous shaft! Glad she's workin out for ya

Any updates??

I've played around with a couple of different heads with mixed results.

FT-iZ 9.5 deg Tour: Straight and controlled ball flight, but I still want to get it up a little higher.
FT-iZ and FT-9 10 deg: When I missed with this club, it was a bad hook. These non-tour heads on the Callaway's are a little closed for my liking and I was not as consistent as I was with the Tour heads.
FT-9 9.5 Tour deg: Controlled ball flight, again, trying to get it up a little higher and I could still work the ball nicely.

I really want to play with the 10.5 deg. Tour heads in both clubs, but my club doesn't have that loft. When I see the local Callaway rep, I'll see if he can get his hand on one for me.

Since I have the I-MIX fitting in there I am going to keep tweaking it and playing different lofts until I'm totally happy. I am glad I went this route as I have a bunch of options with clubheads now.

My conclusion is after 5 rounds and a bunch of range work, I love it. What I really like is if I go after a drive, the shaft does not let me down like my stock Stiff shaft in my FT-9.

Back