Wilson Staff D-FY Iron Set

JB

Follow @THPGolf on Social Media
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
These arrived at THP today for some testing and at first glance, they are odd looking. But the Half & Half shafts feel so good with just the two swings I took. Very much looking forward to this one. Here are some pictures.

822606481_tFJAU-L-1.jpg

822606516_o4VkJ-L-1.jpg

822606638_sHavR-L-1.jpg

822606444_7anoB-L-1.jpg

822606669_frTbB-L-1.jpg

822606693_4NZhg-L-2.jpg

I was just about to post about this shaft. It looks very interesting. What can consumers expect to gain from this shaft as opposed to regular graphite and regular steel? What type of player are these clubs designed for?

• Admin
We have a video on this one in the PGA Show coverage Dent that may help. From what I can tell, you will get the feel of the graphite, with the consistency and trajectory of steel. In theory anyway.

Wow just took a look at the video, that is really cool. Looking forward to the review. Do the clubs feel really bottom heavy because of all the weight of the steel?

• Admin
I thought they would, but they really feel quite good in the hand. I have not hit balls with them yet though. Rain today, but tomorrow we should be able to hit a few.

Which iron is that JB?

I've seen the commercial for these. I'm quite interested to find out how these work. In theory only gets things so far, and by my logic, I can't see that shaft working very well. There will always be the split between the graphite and the steel. How will the feel off the clubface translate through two different mediums? Looking forward to the review JB!

We are really anxious to get these out for testing. It's been raining since yesterday afternoon so hopefully the range will at least be open tomorrow to get some early testing done. The course is completely flooded so I am not sure they will be open tomorrow, but we can cross our fingers and hope.

I am quite interested in your take on these as well. It seems like the best of both worlds...In Theory...those infamous words again.

I am pumped to read your review on these irons JB. Thanks

So I was able to take a couple of swings with these today and I have to say taht I am even more intrigued than I was before. I cannot tell distances yet and accuracy because I was not on teh course or a marked range. But here is what I can tell.

1. They feel incredibly unique. Not bad, just different. It will take some time to get used to, but my first impression is that i really like the feel so far.
2. They are solid from what I can tell. Each ball soared off the club face and launched nice and high.
3. Did I mention that they feel unique?

I will have more in a few days, but my early thoughts are that I really like what I cam seeing here, much more than I thought I would. Very curious to take these out to the range and course this week. I think that people coming to the FL Golf Outing are going to have to try these out. WS, could in fact have a unique winner on their hands here.

Obviously much more to come soon.

JB - do they have that shaft choice with all their clubs coming out or just the DFY's? I'd like to see other styles, not a big fan of the PHAT top line of that iron.

You've tweeked my interest even more now JB! I honestly thought that these clubs would not quite live up to the buzz. I'm quite glad to hear that I was wrong! Looking forward to your full review!

I cannot answer that, but for now, i believe they are only available in this line. Thick toplines never bothered me if the results work. I know some struggle with it though.

You've tweeked my interest even more now JB! I honestly thought that these clubs would not quite live up to the buzz. I'm quite glad to hear that I was wrong! Looking forward to your full review!

I will be updating this thread after I get to hit them each time.

I will be updating this thread after I get to hit them each time.

Sounds good JB! Looking forward to it!

JB, I'm sure you have more than enough gear to try out, but I was wondering if you have been able to swing these any more?

I'm curious how the shaft worked for your swing speed. I was reading about them today and it said the shaft was for a low/medium swing speed. The more I look at them, the more I want them, but I'm a little concerned that I might outgrow them. I feel like my swing speed has increased over the last few months after taking lessons. Also, from previous experience, do you think they could be fitted (specifically - bent) if I found a retailer that carried them? I've heard that this can be a problem with some cast clubs.

JB, I'm sure you have more than enough gear to try out, but I was wondering if you have been able to swing these any more?

I'm curious how the shaft worked for your swing speed. I was reading about them today and it said the shaft was for a low/medium swing speed. The more I look at them, the more I want them, but I'm a little concerned that I might outgrow them. I feel like my swing speed has increased over the last few months after taking lessons. Also, from previous experience, do you think they could be fitted (specifically - bent) if I found a retailer that carried them? I've heard that this can be a problem with some cast clubs.

This review will be done completely and up next week. We have gone through most of our testing and are just finishing up the review. I think they can be handled by mid swing speeds. When you get in over the 105 mark, they could cause some issues, but we had a big hitter trying out the hybrids yesterday and he had no struggles with them.

As for being bent, it is more about what metals are used than anything else and these will be tough to alter too much after purchase. However you can order them to just about any specs that are needed.

Thanks JB.

Back