Help finding golf gps device.....

clg82

Banned
Reaction score
Well I'm in the market for buying a golf gps......I have been looking at the Callaway Upro....and wanted to know if I could get some suggestions from everyone on what you recommend or if you even suggest the upro....thanks for any help in advance ~Chris

Upro looks nice but I have zero experience with it. I have Golflogix & for myself it's perfect & does exactly what I need.

I have a golfguru gps...I have had no complaints. It gives accurate distances and allows me to track my stats as far as score, fairways, greens, putts. Plus everything is free. Membership and unlimited course downloads. My father has the Upro, it doesn't allow him to keep stats, but he likes it. I don't think he uses the advanced mapping feature on more than a couple of courses.

Re: Help finding golf gps device.....

ddec0418 said:
I have a golfguru gps...I have had no complaints. It gives accurate distances and allows me to track my stats as far as score, fairways, greens, putts. Plus everything is free. Membership and unlimited course downloads. My father has the Upro, it doesn't allow him to keep stats, but he likes it. I don't think he uses the advanced mapping feature on more than a couple of courses.

I don't really care about the shot tracking. I know I'm horrible already :) I mostly want it for yardages. In case I'm walking and have no idea what yardages are.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

In case I'm walking and have no idea what yardages are.

How can you not know? Does the course you play not have yardage markers? I've never seen that except in the Winter when some courses take the yardage markers out for the season.

I bought a Sonocaddie V300 last year when Dick's clearanced them at $249 (no idea why!). I like it, and ran it side-by-side with a SkyCaddie and they were nearly exact. They were quite responsive when I recommended a local course get mapped, as well.

How can you not know? Does the course you play not have yardage markers? I've never seen that except in the Winter when some courses take the yardage markers out for the season.

Yes it has yardage markers....but i'm usually not near them from the trees in the right or left lol.....plus i would like to know what the yardages are to the nearest hazard etc....and I like electronics so it would give me a good enough reason to buy it :clap: do you have one or use one diane? or could you recommend me one?:comp: Or do you know if JB has reviewed any on here?

the reason i am leaning towards the upro is because it claims to do a hole fly over anyone have any experience with this?

No - I can't help you. I didn't mean to threadjack - I was just curious to hear if the course didn't have markers.

Yes it has yardage markers....but i'm usually not near them from the trees in the right or left lol.....plus i would like to know what the yardages are to the nearest hazard etc....and I like electronics so it would give me a good enough reason to buy it :clap: do you have one or use one diane? or could you recommend me one?:comp: Or do you know if JB has reviewed any on here?

There have been several reviewed here. http://thehackersparadise.com/home/?s=gps&x=0&y=0 You'll find laser rangefinders and GPS units reviewed. You should take a look at the home page once in a while, all the reviews are there. I personally use a Golflogix GPS like dyna and also a Bushnell Yardage Pro Laser rangefinder.

Smallville said:
There have been several reviewed here. http://thehackersparadise.com/home/?s=gps&x=0&y=0 You'll find laser rangefinders and GPS units reviewed. You should take a look at the home page once in a while, all the reviews are there. I personally use a Golflogix GPS like dyna and also a Bushnell Yardage Pro Laser rangefinder.

Is the golf logic a stand alone unit or an app for your phone?

The one I have is the standalone unit. They have an app for phones.

I'd be happy to sell you my Golf Buddy if you are interested. I've only used mine twice. I don't play the big courses, so I don't even use it. But I thought you were using the Golf Logix on your iPhone...

I have been using a Upro for a little over a year and have nothing but praise for the unit. I particularly like its small size. It slips into my pocket and I don't even notice it until I want to use it.

Some have complained about battery life but I played 18 today and it is showing a 60% charge so I don't see where that is a big issue. You can always get another battery and carry it for a backup if you're into marathon golf.

There are many good gps units out there today but I don't think you can go wrong with a Upro.

I'd be happy to sell you my Golf Buddy if you are interested. I've only used mine twice. I don't play the big courses, so I don't even use it. But I thought you were using the Golf Logix on your iPhone...

I accidentally installed the viewti app....although I like it, it takes a few buttons just to type in one shot....it wants to know what club you used, which way it went, etc etc and all I want to know is the yardage! LOL let me take a look at the features of that one and I'll let you know

I have been using a Upro for a little over a year and have nothing but praise for the unit. I particularly like its small size. It slips into my pocket and I don't even notice it until I want to use it.

Some have complained about battery life but I played 18 today and it is showing a 60% charge so I don't see where that is a big issue. You can always get another battery and carry it for a backup if you're into marathon golf.

There are many good gps units out there today but I don't think you can go wrong with a Upro.

thanks spin scan.....do you ever use the hole flyover? if so how do you like it? also does it have to track every shot or will it just give you the straight up yardages etc....

I have Upro. Its ok but I have a lot of problems with the yardages not loading. The battery is good though, I have gotten two rounds in before. If I was going to buy a new one I would get the new SkyCaddy.

I love my SkyCaddie by SkyGolf. Hands down the most accurate yardage tracking of any device I've ever used. The problem with some of the other devices is they use Google maps to plot out the course and if you are at all familiar with Google maps, they are not the most 'current' - so if you're playing a course that moves it's hazzards or course layout...those other devices are useless (ie, out dated). Sky Golf actually walks each and every course for accuracy. I love the iPhone and all their aps but you'll drain your battery by the 13th hole - and they are actually against USGA rules. OMG, I sound like I work for them. I don't. I just love my SkyCaddie. The new model that they are coming out with includes tags for your clubs. So, if you leave a club behind the GPS unit knows it's missing before you're looking for it on the next hole. Downside, there is a subscription fee to use it...but ever since I started using mine, I have seen a huge change in how I approach a hole. Again, just my 2 cents...

I have Upro. Its ok but I have a lot of problems with the yardages not loading. The battery is good though, I have gotten two rounds in before. If I was going to buy a new one I would get the new SkyCaddy.

Hmmmmm $399.99 and no yardages showing......that's odd.....

Hmmmmm $399.99 and no yardages showing......that's odd.....

They show, I have just had problems loading. It takes a while to catch up.

It looks to me like the skycaddie has waaaaaay too many features for what i'm looking for....and it looks like it doesn't have as good of a course view as the upro.....any input on either of these?

thanks spin scan.....do you ever use the hole flyover? if so how do you like it? also does it have to track every shot or will it just give you the straight up yardages etc....

I use the flyover feature if I am playing an unfamiliar course and it is very helpful in those instances, otherwise I turn it off. I have never had problems with yardages not loading or any other problem with it for that matter.

It has many very useful features such as distances to the front of hazards and what is needed to clear them. You can measure from any point of the course to any other point.

As far as accuracy goes, it's spot on. I have a laser rf also and have confirmed it's accuracy. I played with a guy today who had a Skycaddie and we both showed the same yardages. As I mentioned before I love its small, compact size. It has a great display and contrary to what some have said it is very easy to see in bright sunlight.

I have no experience using any other gps so it is hard to compare them. I bought my Upro because of the great reviews it got when it was first introduced and I got a great deal on it. I have had it since Oct. 2008 and I am very pleased with it.

If I can answer any specific questions don't hesitate to ask.

Spinscan said:
I use the flyover feature if I am playing an unfamiliar course and it is very helpful in those instances, otherwise I turn it off. I have never had problems with yardages not loading or any other problem with it for that matter.

It has many very useful features such as distances to the front of hazards and what is needed to clear them. You can measure from any point of the course to any other point.

As far as accuracy goes, it's spot on. I have a laser rf also and have confirmed it's accuracy. I played with a guy today who had a Skycaddie and we both showed the same yardages. As I mentioned before I love its small, compact size. It has a great display and contrary to what some have said it is very easy to see in bright sunlight.

I have no experience using any other gps so it is hard to compare them. I bought my Upro because of the great reviews it got when it was first introduced and I got a great deal on it. I have had it since Oct. 2008 and I am very pleased with it.

If I can answer any specific questions don't hesitate to ask.

Do you have to choose the hazard for it to show the yardages or does it do it automatically?

Back