Help finding golf gps device.....

Do you have to choose the hazard for it to show the yardages or does it do it automatically?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well, it has a smart view which gives you an overview of the hole and a hazard view to look at specific hazards. I don't know if you have looked at their site but it will give you a better explanation than I can give you. It works great.

http://www.uprogps.com/upro/features/

Yes it has yardage markers....but i'm usually not near them from the trees in the right or left lol.....plus i would like to know what the yardages are to the nearest hazard etc....and I like electronics so it would give me a good enough reason to buy it :clap: do you have one or use one diane? or could you recommend me one?:comp: Or do you know if JB has reviewed any on here?

A quick search on the home page shows that we have reviewed about 10 different units.

Though it may seem a bit "pricy", the OnPar Golf GPS (reviewed here @ THP), is absolutely awesome. After the review here on THP, I researched it a bit more and with no download fee's, a huge list of courses, and the touch screen, I had the wife get me one for Christmas. I've had it out twice this year, and cannot say enough good things about it. Check it out.

I use an iGolf Neo. It's the size of a beeper. It has yardages to front, center, and back of the green. It can also have up to 4 other yardages listed per hole. You can map holes with it but never tried. It has a shot distance feature that is simple to use and I love.

It's a basic unit that cost me $139 years ago when I bought it. There is no yearly subscription fee per se. You get 99 credits, that are good for 1 year, which allows you to download 99 courses onto your PC. You then can load up to 10 at a time from the PC to the GPS. Once you download a course to your PC it's 'yours'. So last year I didn't bother the subscribe for another 99 credits that were good for 1 year.

So I have a GPS that I can use on the subset of course i downloaded forever at no cost. I play pretty much the same 2 course, so this isn't a big issue. However if I go play in the THP gathering in NY my GPS is just a paperweight.

I like the unit and it does everything that I really need it to. I have 1 hole where the yardages are off though. It's nothing fancy and I'm limited to the courses I can load since I'm not keeping a subscription going. But it was pretty cheap.

A buddy has a Sky Caddy and our two units were real close in yardages. I have toyed around with getting a Sky Caddy or somethign similar just because. Not that I really need it or anything, lol.

A quick search on the home page shows that we have reviewed about 10 different units.

After reading the majority of the 10 different units that were reviewed, the upro was overall the best that was reviewed......from reading them that is what i got.....

Nope. The Bushnell XGC Pro in my opinion. The UPro is a great unit and close, but the new cost structure from Callaway keeps it out of the top spot.

Re: Help finding golf gps device.....

JB said:
Nope. The Bushnell XGC Pro in my opinion. The UPro is a great unit and close, but the new cost structure from Callaway keeps it out of the top spot.

I'll take a look at that one. That review for the upro must have been older then. Do you use a gps jb? And if so what is it that you look for in a unit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I use one and I use the Bushnell that I mentioned. I look for ease of use, accuracy, extra features that I will actually use, pinpoint control, and how it feels to hold in my hand.

I use one and I use the Bushnell that I mentioned. I look for ease of use, accuracy, extra features that I will actually use, pinpoint control, and how it feels to hold in my hand.

Thanks for the suggestions JB. Is price point the only thing that swayed you from the upro as opposed to the bushnell or was it more?

They are close to the same price in unit cost. WHen Callaway purchased Upro (after our review) they raised the price of course downloads.

They are close to the same price in unit cost. WHen Callaway purchased Upro (after our review) they raised the price of course downloads.

Ok I see that now......i think they just charge for the pro view but I may be wrong.....

JB,
So the Bushnell uses the same subscription policy as my iGolf neo? I like how they do it but you need to keep in mind that if you travel, your GPS won't work unless you have credits that are still good to download the course. I don't know how other GPS units on the market are with this kind of thing. /shrug

JB,
So the Bushnell uses the same subscription policy as my iGolf neo? I like how they do it but you need to keep in mind that if you travel, your GPS won't work unless you have credits that are still good to download the course. I don't know how other GPS units on the market are with this kind of thing. /shrug

From what I read on the upro website you can get every course they have in their database for free...no subscription required.......you just have to pay extra for the "pro mode" ....maybe jb can confirm this?

From what I read on the upro website you can get every course they have in their database for free...no subscription required.......you just have to pay extra for the "pro mode" ....maybe jb can confirm this?

What is there to confirm? You pay for the Pro Mode, ie... Fly overs and pick your point.

What is there to confirm? You pay for the Pro Mode, ie... Fly overs and pick your point.

The member that I quoted said he didn't know if it was the same for all the other gps' so i told him what the upro does.....sorry

JB,

I have never run into that because I use a laptop. But the yearly subscription gives way more courses than I would use in a year.

Did you read our review? We talk about this EXACT topic. All you get with the basic mode is yardages. No flyover and no pinpoint control.

Could you please post the link i may have missed that......

So I am guessing you did not. here is the link to the review. You can always go to the home page and type in UPRO and it comes up as well. Again, this review was BEFORE Callaway purchased the company and I find their new pricing ridiculous.

http://thehackersparadise.com/home/?p=505

After reading the majority of the 10 different units that were reviewed, the upro was overall the best that was reviewed......from reading them that is what i got.....

Maybe you didn't read this post that you replied to completely...it clearly states that i read it..I was just asking if you could please post the link of the review you did.....I apologize if this was difficult......

So I am guessing you did not. here is the link to the review. You can always go to the home page and type in UPRO and it comes up as well. Again, this review was BEFORE Callaway purchased the company and I find their new pricing ridiculous.

http://thehackersparadise.com/home/?p=505

What do you find is ridiculous about the pricing......for the upro portion?

Maybe you didn't read this post that you replied to completely...it clearly states that i read it..I was just asking if you could please post the link of the review you did.....I apologize if this was difficult......

What do you find is ridiculous about the pricing......for the upro portion?

There is an entire section right there on what is in the basic and pro modes!

I dont want to have to pay upwards of $5 for every course that I download. That to me is ridiculous. Within 7 courses I get a yearly subscription to the Bushnell and a unit that is just as good.

From the Review:

The unit has two modes. Basic and Pro mode. Basic mode consists of what you are used to in a Basic GPS. Graphics with a few pictures and distances. That is completely free with this device. You can upload as many courses as you would like and never have to pay for them or have a subscription.
Pro Mode offers something a little more. It gives you the Smart View that we discussed in which it gives you all of the measurements right from the front screen. It has a video flyover of each hole.

There is an entire section right there on what is in the basic and pro modes!

I dont want to have to pay upwards of $5 for every course that I download. That to me is ridiculous. Within 7 courses I get a yearly subscription to the Bushnell and a unit that is just as good.

Im a little confused on where you're getting the $5.00 for ever course.....it's free for basic mode and costs for pro mode....I thought after reading your own review of the callaway upro you would know that?

Edit: it's $10.00 per promode course not $5.00

If you use the basic mode, you get none of the features, just yardage. I always buy the courses but I think with basic you dont even get hazards.

Im a little confused on where you're getting the $5.00 for ever course.....it's free for basic mode and costs for pro mode....I thought after reading your own review of the callaway upro you would know that?

As mentioned BEFORE in this very thread. I reviewed this item BEFORE CALLAWAY Purchased them. Since that time AS MENTIONED, they have gone through different pricing structures for their PRO MODE. Courses can cost $5 per course or even more at times!!!!

Im not sure you understand here. Throughout this thread you have said in "JB's review he said this" yet you apparently missed an entire paragragh about basic and pro modes because you then asked the question again. My review was from a year and a half ago and what our thoughts were on the unit at that time. Since then, units have come out that I found better and Callaway purchased the company and again CHANGED THE PRICING STRUCTURE!!!

I have never run into that because I use a laptop. But the yearly subscription gives way more courses than I would use in a year.

I know. I meant that being cheap I never got the subscription, so I used it through 09 for 'free' just using the courses i downloaded already. I have pretty much everything that I'd realistically play in the area. I was just mentioning it for those people that decide to drop the subscription that there is a drawback of sorts.

Though I have a feeling that it's time to break out the flame retardant suit the way this thread is starting to go. :popcorn:

Cheers

Back