Taylormade Penta TP - Forum Review Thread

Played a couple more rounds with the Penta and then played for a few hours at a practice facility that contained two par 4's and multiple chipping/pitching holes.

I still really enjoy playing with this ball and I believe that where it will really shine is on my short game. While on the chipping/pitching practice area, I hit about 200 chips/pitches ranging from just off the green to about 40 yards. I played the TM Red and Penta from the same place on each shot. The difference between the two on these shots is night and day. There is absolute confidence in your wedge when you know that you can hit a 20-40 yard, very low-trajectory shot and have it skip once and stop dead. The Penta gives me that confidence.

As for scuffing... as you can imagine, any ball that you hit about 100 chips/pitches is going to show some wear. Though, it wasn't scuffed anymore than what the TM Red was showing.

Played a couple more rounds with the Penta and then played for a few hours at a practice facility that contained two par 4's and multiple chipping/pitching holes.

I still really enjoy playing with this ball and I believe that where it will really shine is on my short game. While on the chipping/pitching practice area, I hit about 200 chips/pitches ranging from just off the green to about 40 yards. I played the TM Red and Penta from the same place on each shot. The difference between the two on these shots is night and day. There is absolute confidence in your wedge when you know that you can hit a 20-40 yard, very low-trajectory shot and have it skip once and stop dead. The Penta gives me that confidence.

As for scuffing... as you can imagine, any ball that you hit about 100 chips/pitches is going to show some wear. Though, it wasn't scuffed anymore than what the TM Red was showing.

I find more often than not that the Lettering fades faster than anything else!

I find more often than not that the Lettering fades faster than anything else!

Yeah; I notice that as well. But that doesn't bother me all that much.

Yeah; I notice that as well. But that doesn't bother me all that much.

Me neither......I just noticed it faded away quicker than say the :bridgestone: e6 i play!

I played 18 on Saturday with the Penta and while it was only in the mid 40's distance was right on par with any other ball that I have played. I still have problems with to much spin off of the driver. Could be due to the wrong shaft or because this ball is so soft. I must say that I LOVE the short game feel with this ball!!! It is very soft and checks up nicely when you want it to. The feel off of the putter is stellar. I had one of my best putting rounds of the very short year but it was still better than most last year. I am still undecided on balls and think I am going to try out the Callaway I (z) and see how that works off the driver. I would like to thank THP and Taylor Made for the oportunity to play the new Penta. It is still in the running for my ball this year but we will just have to wait and see. I have until April 9-10 to decide because that is when our first tournament is.

Saw the Pentas at the local golf shop for 39.99 today. Thought they were supposted to be in the upper 40's?

Wow you are lucky! Pentas at my local golf shop are $54.99. I think I'll still buy a box because I'm really excited to try these balls.

@Dent,
I'm a fellow Winnipegger/Manitoban, You can get them at Sportchek for $49.99. I beleive that's the cheapest i've seen them in the city. I picked up a couple dozen myself and am patiently waiting for the courses to open.....praying this week or the weekend.

Fingers crossed.

Wow you are lucky! Pentas at my local golf shop are $54.99. I think I'll still buy a box because I'm really excited to try these balls.

Yeah, I couldnt believe it. I was in the store to pick up a box of the new B330-RXS balls to try, and they were 39.99 as well. Didnt even bother looking at the Penta's price. As I was checking out, the manager told me to let her know how they performed vs. the penta, and mentioned the penta was the same price. I did a double take, and checked. Sure enough 39.99. I'm going to pick up a box of pentas when these RXS balls run out. For my game, they are very similar balls, with the RXS being a bit softer off the putter, and the Penta having slightly more spin w/short irons and wedges. Both are about the same distance wise. If they're the same price, I'd go Penta every time....

@Dent,
I'm a fellow Winnipegger/Manitoban, You can get them at Sportchek for $49.99. I beleive that's the cheapest i've seen them in the city. I picked up a couple dozen myself and am patiently waiting for the courses to open.....praying this week or the weekend.

Fingers crossed.

Hey thanks T-Bone. I'll go check it out. I know around my area a couple Par 3 courses are open already. Tuxedo is rumoured to open April 1st.

You'll have to go to the Polo Park Sportchek, it's the only one that carries the Penta's, i think it's because they have the Nevada Bobs golf shop in it. Which Par 3's are open?

Played the Penta Today. I played horrible.... But most of the bad shots were with the ProV1 I was comparing with..... lol. Anyway.... I hit my best drive of the day with the Penta. Played the same hole twice..... 1st time I was 200 out with the prov1. 2nd time about 170 out with the penta. I really like this ball.

So, let me pose a question...

I liked the Penta, but I also like TP Black and Red - and now in my pro shop the pro is selling the TP Blacks and Reds for $24.00 per dozen (w/no sales tax since it's on a military post), and I am sitting on $115 in pro shop gift certificates. I could stock up for the whole year and probably still buy a nice pair of sunglasses or a shirt or some gloves or ....... With a deal like that, would you sit on the certificate or stock up?

Buy the pentas you won't be disapointed.

I liked the Penta, but I also like TP Black and Red - and now in my pro shop the pro is selling the TP Blacks and Reds for $24.00 per dozen (w/no sales tax since it's on a military post), and I am sitting on $115 in pro shop gift certificates. I could stock up for the whole year and probably still buy a nice pair of sunglasses or a shirt or some gloves or ....... With a deal like that, would you sit on the certificate or stock up?

If you like the older versions just as much, by them!!!!

Stock up Sam! To good of a deal not to and they are still premium balls :eek:).

that is a ridiculous deal for a premium ball. I say go for it.
This isn't the first time i've heard about these low prices on the Red and the Black TP balls. Looks like TM is making room for the Penta and by the sounds of things, it seems to be catching on. I guess we'll know when the golf season is fully underway. I have my own dozen waiting to hit the course. I have to say, after reading all these reviews i cannot wait!

Another vote for stocking up on the TP Black/Red! I have a "few" dozen stocked up in my basement. I'm sure that won't stop me from buying Pentas, but it is by far the best ball you're going to get under $30.

Today was the first day I put the Penta into play. Used one for four holes. I liked it a lot. Seems to come off the driver hot, though I may have just finally put a good swing on a couple. They were the longest shots I hit today. I also hit a 4i into a par three from 205 and the ball really sat down nicely. This ball is much better than the TP Red in my opinion. My daughter and I were hitting multiple shots on each hole, and the best feel consistently came from the Penta. They were also soft off the putter. I didn't hit chip or pitch shots well enough to make a call on that. My next round I'll put against a new ProV1x and I'll see how they compare.

So far this is a golf ball I could play with no hesitation. If it's equal to the ProV at $7.00 less per dozen, it will be a no brainer.

Of course I've yet try the yellow Srixon. If that's close, I suspect the yellow might close the deal.

Kevin

At work they gave me 1 penta ball. Since then I've played 36 holes with it. (amazing that I've played 36 holes with the same ball) While I haven't played my best golf with it, I'll have to say that I am very impressed. If I had to guess I'd say it's longer than the Pro V1x with about the same feel from 100 yards in. I'm seriously considering getting rid of the old Titeleist and keeping the new school Penta. Only problem is that I don't fee like paying for them. I don't think I've bought balls in about 5 years.

Just picked up a dozen from the local shop at 39.99. I seriously doubt they know what the MSRP is supposted to be!

Hi JB. I take it that you find the Z-Star Yellow to be superior to the Penta ball regarding performance etc? You had high praise for the Penta through the autumn months of last year.

Hi JB. I take it that you find the Z-Star Yellow to be superior to the Penta ball regarding performance etc? You had high praise for the Penta through the autumn months of last year.

Actually I am not sure that is the case. I love the Penta ball and feel it is one of the best I have ever played, if not THE best I have ever played. I have been playing the Srixon Tour Yellow for the review we just wrote on the home page and have continued based on the fact that I like the easy spotting the yellow gives me. To have a ball that is also high performance and tour level and have it easier to spot for me, made me make the switch.

Actually I am not sure that is the case. I love the Penta ball and feel it is one of the best I have ever played, if not THE best I have ever played. I have been playing the Srixon Tour Yellow for the review we just wrote on the home page and have continued based on the fact that I like the easy spotting the yellow gives me. To have a ball that is also high performance and tour level and have it easier to spot for me, made me make the switch.
I would bet money that other colored premium balls are going to follow suit.

You see it with soft drinks and beer and the such.

Would the Penta or this yellow Srixon be suitable for a 90-95mph Driver SS hitter? Similar to the B330-RX or RXS balls? Would they be as long etc?

Back