Dent

MIA
Reaction score
Handicap
Andy,

I was at the range yesterday and for the past few weeks of going there I realized none of my clubs are getting parallel or even near parallel on the backswing taking a look even with my driver I'd only get to about 10 or 11 O'clock ( 6 being right below me) I try getting all the way back but for some reason I can't do it anymore, or it feels uncomfortable

1) What are the disadvantages, or even advantages of not going near parallel?

2) What is a quick fix to this?

Thanks!

Dent don't change a thing. Next time you are watching golf on TV take note of how few tour pros get the club back to parallel. I would prefer it to be short of parallel and that is great as long as you still are making a good full turn with your shoulders. The advantage of stopping short are many. You don't have to travel as far to get into the slot, it makes the transition easier, and you will have more control of the club on the way back to the ball. I like what you are doing.

Thanks Andy,

I don't fear it is a problem with my irons as I do agree most pros never go all the way back, but I'm more concerned about my driver. I'll post a swing of Anthony Kim here because my stance and posture is generally more or less like his. If you notice in the driver swing he is going full parallel as most pros do with the driver. If you pause the video at around 42-43 seconds in, that is where my back swing is finishing. I feel that is a problem. What do you think?

[youtube]lLzIs_gFodA[/youtube]

If you really watch the video closely the only part of him moving from about second 43 to the top is just an independent arm lift. This is not a move that is needed in the swing. This is also a big reason that he is a hot and cold type of player. I would much rather see him stop the arms and hands when his shoulders stop turning. He would be a more consistent ball striker from that position. I think you are in a good spot as long as you make a full shoulder turn.

If you really watch the video closely the only part of him moving from about second 43 to the top is just an independent arm lift. This is not a move that is needed in the swing. This is also a big reason that he is a hot and cold type of player. I would much rather see him stop the arms and hands when his shoulders stop turning. He would be a more consistent ball striker from that position. I think you are in a good spot as long as you make a full shoulder turn.

Thanks Andy, I'll try and get a video and update this thread.

Back