Wildlife Seen on the Golf Course

You're 100% sure they part of the Wasp family? I'm only allergic to Vespids so that would make me feel better.

Sounds like fun. I will be golfing there Labor Day Weekend. I don't suppose a prairie dog hole would be considered a HIO.:clapp:

Maybe if you run and put a flag in the hole before anyone notices. :clap:

It was my first time there, but Cedar Ridge is a fun little course. Definitely going to play it again when I'm in the area. Have a great time!

I've seen many Black Bears, Moose, Foxes, massive Mosquitos, Ground Bees, Wasps, Eagles, and many other things I can't think of.

Encounters...let's see. Last year I hit a ball, and a Ground Bee nest was under the ground where my ball was. I hit my shot, bees come shooting out, I get bit and stung like 8 times. Two years ago there was a mama Black Bear and her baby on the practice green. Then last year a mama bear and her 3 cubs were on a par 3 green and the 3 cubs snapped the flag stick trying to climb it. And finally just the other day, there was a moose on the putting green and my buddy and I just kept putting and chipping :D.

Like C-Tech said, they are wasps. I have a nest of them under a bush in my yard. They have been here for close to 40 years, at the least (I know this because I lived in this house as a kid). Once I found out they aren't that bad, I actually look forward to their arrival each summer. From what I have read, they come back to the same place they were born and nest in the same place. I've never been stung but they are the meanest looking things! We have a nest on the fifth green at my course and are pretty common on golf courses. They are usually only around for a couple of months and coincide with the noise of the cicadas you hear every year. Here's a picture of the wasp and their nest. If you play in the afternoon, look for this on a green (or ask the greenskeeper which green the nest is on). They have to redo it every day after they mow the greens!

sphecidae_unknown_adult_lateral_m_08.jpg
Copy_of_Cicada_Killer_nest1.jpg

These things used to burrow out a hole in the side of the golf hole just above where the plastic cup was set. I always wondered what they were. We were careful reaching in to get our ball after putting. I never knew what they were until this thread.

Had an interesting situation yesterday evening. We got a message on the GPS screen in the cart that the carts had to be in by 5:45. We ignored it for a while as it was 5:30 and we had 4 holes left. The ranger came by at 5:42 to ask if we had seen the message and we said we had but only had 2.5 holes left and would like to finish. He said it was for our own safety as they had several active bobcats in the area that could be dangerous. What a crock. I have seen these "dangerous" bobcats and they stay well in the desert unless they are hunting....and they do not hunt humans, we are too big.

Great excuse to get the carts in so they can go home though.

Do the bobcats not come out until after 5:45? LOL Makes sense, they get off at 5:00 then have to go home first and THEN go out to eat. So what's the problem? hehe

Perhaps they should just close the course all day long.

Wildlife

Wildlife

I know we had a wildlife thread, but I couldn't find it, so I am posting this in a new thread.

I saw this beside the 18th green this afternoon. A brown pelican. We are 2 hours from the nearest ocean (Sea of Cortez) so this old boy must have been lost. You don't exactly expect to see this bird in the middle of a desert.

Picture496.jpg

We have lots of squirrels, does that count? :D There's a turkey that likes to follow me at a Par 3 course that we play at, he scares me haa haa

I know we had a wildlife thread, but I couldn't find it, so I am posting this in a new thread.

I saw this beside the 18th green this afternoon. A brown pelican. We are 2 hours from the nearest ocean (Sea of Cortez) so this old boy must have been lost. You don't exactly expect to see this bird in the middle of a desert.

Picture496.jpg
Maybe he flew some mice out there like in that Disney movie The Rescuers.

I see ducks, geese, deer, beavers, and a flock of wild turkeys at one course I play.

Great picture C-Tech. He flew in special, just to watch you play.

Where I play, they got mule deer, coyotes, geese and mountain lions. I have sen the first three , I hope I don't see the mountain lions!!!

This was a picture I took on the Medowlark golf course in California a couple years ago...I believe this is a coyote
2435665027_8201b8325c.jpg

That being said, on my local course I have seen:
Rabbits, Fox, Deer, Beavers, muskrat, Ducks, Geese, Hawks, Eagles etc. There are also normal things like chipmunks, squirrels, seagulls.

I also found Moose prints on the course in the winter, but haven't see one on the course yet.

I've had a coyote waltz within 10 paces of me before at my local course. I also have to watch out for snakes while looking for balls in the desert scrub, and avoid the cook droppings near the No. 17 water hazard. And lots and lots of ravens!

Last night we saw a rattlesnake on the cart path between the ninth hole and the clubhouse. It was the first good size one we have seen this year. It was probably about 5 or 6 feet long (hard to tell since it was coiled up). So no more looking for balls in the tall grass.

We have deer, bobcat, coyote, snakes, and tons of turkeys. We have some unwelcome year round geese too, that seem immune to the effects of the efforts to get them to go away. There are mountain lions and bears in the area, but we don't see them that often. I haven't run into either of them on the course yet.

My dad came out visiting last year, and we were getting ready to tee up on one hole, when a flock of turkeys walked onto the tee box. Dad asked me if I could get a picture of him teeing off with some turkeys in the background. I told him I wasn't sure about getting some turkeys in the background, but I could for sure get a big turkey in the foreground. He laughed hard enough and long enough that he hosed his tee shot. It was good.

Last night we saw a rattlesnake on the cart path between the ninth hole and the clubhouse. It was the first good size one we have seen this year. It was probably about 5 or 6 feet long (hard to tell since it was coiled up). So no more looking for balls in the tall grass.

It wasn't this one, was it?

Rattler.jpg

Pensacola, Florida. My annual golf vacation earlier this year.

12 foot gator sunning herself 10 feet off of the 18th green.

The marshal non chalantly rode up to our group on the 16th tee and told us to be careful of it.

We're from Minnesota. We don't see stuff like that up here.

I played a course in Australia that had kangaroos- lots and lots and lots of kangaroos. Free lift from the kangaroo crap. :)

I saw two alligators at the Florida outing. I rode with JB and on the way to the last hole on the last day, Spank yells at us from behind that there's an alligator in the lake (I had been wanting to see one all weekend). So I tell Spank to take me back there so I can see. JB is like ""are you serious?" and I'm like "damn right I'm serious! So I get in Spank's cart and we back up the cart path and you can see him (well, the shadow) under the water with air bubbles coming up. Pretty cool, but I wish I could have seen more. As we drive around the lake to catch up to JB, we see the classic eyes and snout poking out of the water. So cool for a guy from Kansas.

Re: Wildlife

Re: Wildlife

I had two raccoons wait for me to tee off for fear of their life. It was a good choice.

Back