The Official NFL 2010 Thread [Spoilers]

Status
Not open for further replies.
wow! shocked he went in division to DC! heard some rumblings on some sites but NEVER thought they would trade him to one of their main rivals? now he gets to go after Philly twice a year! must be alot of Eagles fans ready to jump of a bridge now! I can see Shanny drafting one of the premier left tackles in the draft now to replace Samuels. they have Portis,Johnson and Parker at RB. Cooley at TE, maybe they can deal Campbell for a decent wideout or a pick to draft one. either way McNabb for a 2nd this year and a 3rd or 4th rounder next year is a steal for DC especially when it weakens a division foe like this. this has been a crazy NFL offseason to say the least...

I am of the complete opposite feeling in that I think they overpaid for a guy. Im in the minority here, but you are paying heavy draft picks (2 that should be starters) for an aging QB with accuracy problems. Some will come in and say otherwise, but watch games and you can see his accuracy is not his strong point. He has been in the perfect system for him as a player and all that is going to change in Washington as well as learning a new offense.

I also believe that if teams held out longer he was getting waived or dealt for less than that.

So what did the Redskins give up for McNab? I agree with you JB, he's an aging QB that was never very accurate. All those passes he would throw in the dirt or at the feet. My guess is they're going to use McNab for a year or two until they have a younger guy ready to play.

How about this for a thought fellow football and draft followers, Washington swings a deal with Denver to get Brayndon Marshall and then drafts the LT as well. Shanny coached and controlled Marshall, Wash needs a #1 wr, makes sense. I was thinking for the Wash #2 that they just got from the Eagles. Or maybe they trade down out of the #4 spot and let Denver move up by swapping 1s and adding a pic or two. Thoughts?

How about this for a thought fellow football and draft followers, Washington swings a deal with Denver to get Brayndon Marshall and then drafts the LT as well. Shanny coached and controlled Marshall, Wash needs a #1 wr, makes sense. I was thinking for the Wash #2 that they just got from the Eagles. Or maybe they trade down out of the #4 spot and let Denver move up by swapping 1s and adding a pic or two. Thoughts?

Would a 2nd get Marshall? If so, Washington should pull the trigger, and then sign Marshall to a long term deal. Snyder seems to be going all out for next season anyway, so why stop now?

Washington has made no secret they want to draft a LT. They are assured of the best one in the draft at the no. 4 spot. It would probably take a lot to move them out of that spot.

He has been in the perfect system for him as a player and all that is going to change in Washington as well as learning a new offense.

Actually, Shanahan runs pretty much the same offense (it's a West Coast offshoot) that places more emphasis on running and requires a mobile quarterback. It might actually help McNabb more because there will be less pressure on him making throws (Reid's system was more a pure West Coast with emphasis on short slants and outs to replace the running game). Look at the history of successful Shanahan QB's Elway, Plummer, Cutler all not ridiculously accurate but can throw on the run and has a strong arm for bootlegs and deep patterns. Look at the unsuccessful ones Griese, Maddox, Brister, Frerotte, they are your more traditional drop back QB's. McNabb is a prototypical Shanahan QB.

So what did the Redskins give up for McNab? I agree with you JB, he's an aging QB that was never very accurate. All those passes he would throw in the dirt or at the feet. My guess is they're going to use McNab for a year or two until they have a younger guy ready to play.

He's definitely a short term solution. I guess we'll find out when the Eagles draft in that 2nd round slot if the trade was worth it. Oh and Kevin Kolb better step up as well.

I know Shanny is eyeing Marshall but he will obviously not give up his #1. Only scenario that I can see him going to the Skins (since they don't have a 2nd rounder anymore) is swap #1's this year and give them next year's 2nd or this year's 3rd. It's a hefty price but at least you know what you're getting and right now Marshall is licking his lips at getting to be reunited with his old coach.

Actually, Shanahan runs pretty much the same offense (it's a West Coast offshoot) that places more emphasis on running and requires a mobile quarterback. It might actually help McNabb more because there will be less pressure on him making throws (Reid's system was more a pure West Coast with emphasis on short slants and outs to replace the running game). Look at the history of successful Shanahan QB's Elway, Plummer, Cutler all not ridiculously accurate but can throw on the run and has a strong arm for bootlegs and deep patterns. Look at the unsuccessful ones Griese, Maddox, Brister, Frerotte, they are your more traditional drop back QB's. McNabb is a prototypical Shanahan QB.

First off I wold not call Jake Plummer successful or Cutler real mobile. Second, comparing Elway's accuracy to that of McNabb is an embarasment. Third, I would not even remotely compare the two systems. Shanahan walked away from his West Coast roots years ago and is far more of a traditional play caller that is run first and then pass. He passes deep and close to about 46% of the time. Reid on the other hand is pure west coast with nothing but short passes and runs the balls less than 40% of the time. Neither run the same type of runs or passes, and the only thing they seem to have in common is their pedigree. While Shanahan may love having a mobile QB, your thoughts are the exact same that most had about Jeff Garcia and John Gruden. Unfortunately you still need to have accuracy especially in Shanahan's scheme now and McNabb has not had that for quite some time if ever. Talking to one of my favorite Eagles fans (Bstonerjk) today he assures me that there are far more Eagles fans happy about this than upset. The turf throwing McNabb may be an improvement in WA, but will not take them anywhere despite having a very solid defense again this year.

Most of the Eagles fans around here are happy to se him go, actually. Skins should draft a T with their 1st rounde now otherwise McNabb wil get killed and all those RB's will run 2yds and get hit all the time. I actually think the 'Skins may have overpaid for a 34 yr old QB who can't hit a WR in stride without taking out his ankles first.

wow! shocked he went in division to DC! heard some rumblings on some sites but NEVER thought they would trade him to one of their main rivals? now he gets to go after Philly twice a year! must be alot of Eagles fans ready to jump of a bridge now! I can see Shanny drafting one of the premier left tackles in the draft now to replace Samuels. they have Portis,Johnson and Parker at RB. Cooley at TE, maybe they can deal Campbell for a decent wideout or a pick to draft one. either way McNabb for a 2nd this year and a 3rd or 4th rounder next year is a steal for DC especially when it weakens a division foe like this. this has been a crazy NFL offseason to say the least...

Completely agree JB

I am of the complete opposite feeling in that I think they overpaid for a guy. Im in the minority here, but you are paying heavy draft picks (2 that should be starters) for an aging QB with accuracy problems. Some will come in and say otherwise, but watch games and you can see his accuracy is not his strong point. He has been in the perfect system for him as a player and all that is going to change in Washington as well as learning a new offense.

I also believe that if teams held out longer he was getting waived or dealt for less than that.

McNabb is already in talks to sign a 3 or 4 yr extension...the Skins want to win now with Shanny

I'm not sure if the Skins have enough picks to move now in order to get Marshall. Unless they start giving away picks in 2012, 2013, etc.

First off I wold not call Jake Plummer successful or Cutler real mobile. Second, comparing Elway's accuracy to that of McNabb is an embarasment. Third, I would not even remotely compare the two systems. Shanahan walked away from his West Coast roots years ago and is far more of a traditional play caller that is run first and then pass. He passes deep and close to about 46% of the time. Reid on the other hand is pure west coast with nothing but short passes and runs the balls less than 40% of the time. Neither run the same type of runs or passes, and the only thing they seem to have in common is their pedigree. While Shanahan may love having a mobile QB, your thoughts are the exact same that most had about Jeff Garcia and John Gruden. Unfortunately you still need to have accuracy especially in Shanahan's scheme now and McNabb has not had that for quite some time if ever. Talking to one of my favorite Eagles fans (Bstonerjk) today he assures me that there are far more Eagles fans happy about this than upset. The turf throwing McNabb may be an improvement in WA, but will not take them anywhere despite having a very solid defense again this year.

Plummer was successful in Shanny's system (he led them to the playoffs 1 year in the 3 he was there), Cutler is very mobile, he just preferred to rely on his arm which got him into more trouble than not. Those quarterbacks I referenced did not have great accuracy as well (and I'll include Elway in that as well). I just said McNabb couldn't have asked for a better situation, other than the Vikes, than in DC. But Shanahan has not strayed from his West Coast roots very far so the terminology will be familiar with McNabb which will make the transition easier plus he doesn't have to rely on passing all the time as well. All I was saying is that McNabb is going to a good situation.

Plummer was successful in Shanny's system (he led them to the playoffs 1 year in the 3 he was there), Cutler is very mobile, he just preferred to rely on his arm which got him into more trouble than not. Those quarterbacks I referenced did not have great accuracy as well (and I'll include Elway in that as well). I just said McNabb couldn't have asked for a better situation, other than the Vikes, than in DC. But Shanahan has not strayed from his West Coast roots very far so the terminology will be familiar with McNabb which will make the transition easier plus he doesn't have to rely on passing all the time as well. All I was saying is that McNabb is going to a good situation.

I guess we have a differing opinion of successful and accuracy. I dont consider making the playoffs one out of every three years successful. I consider it marginal at best. I also dont consider John Elway to be not very accurate. I consider him to be an all time great with good to very good accuracy and comparing him to McNabb's accuracy is not fair to the HOF'er in my opinion.

What kind of gets lost in this is who is now the QB for the Eagles? Kolb? or Vick?

Good luck w/ either one.

What kind of gets lost in this is who is now the QB for the Eagles? Kolb? or Vick?

Good luck w/ either one.

No it doesnt, they have already named Kolb the starter.

This is very true. Kolb all the way.

i think Vick will will be involved a bit more than the normal backup especially with them getting rid of Westbrook

One thing I will give the Eagles is they always seem to be proactive with their team. They are not scared to send away veterans, whether its the wrong or right move they do it and move on. Sometimes it backfires and sometimes they look like geniuses.

I guess we have a differing opinion of successful and accuracy. I dont consider making the playoffs one out of every three years successful. I consider it marginal at best. I also dont consider John Elway to be not very accurate. I consider him to be an all time great with good to very good accuracy and comparing him to McNabb's accuracy is not fair to the HOF'er in my opinion.

We do. Ask the Lions, Cards (back in the day), Browns, and all the perennial bottom dwellers in the NFL if they would take a playoff appearance once every 3 years. With parity it really should be cyclical but there are those that have it and those that don't. Jake really never got a fair shot in AZ because of the ownership and once he came to Denver and became part of the system he got that shot. You're right though because in Denver 1 in 3 years is not acceptable and that's just the culture there. As far as Elway, I'm not putting him down at all. I believe he's the best QB ever in my opinion but I treat him like NikeGolf treats TW (at least to a certain degree)... as my hero. If he had chink in the armor it was his accuracy and it always was ever since Stanford. Just remember that, in time, McNabb will join John in those ranks as a HOF'er.

We do. Ask the Lions, Cards (back in the day), Browns, and all the perennial bottom dwellers in the NFL if they would take a playoff appearance once every 3 years. With parity it really should be cyclical but there are those that have it and those that don't. Jake really never got a fair shot in AZ because of the ownership and once he came to Denver and became part of the system he got that shot. You're right though because in Denver 1 in 3 years is not acceptable and that's just the culture there. As far as Elway, I'm not putting him down at all. I believe he's the best QB ever in my opinion but I treat him like NikeGolf treats TW (at least to a certain degree)... as my hero. If he had chink in the armor it was his accuracy and it always was ever since Stanford. Just remember that, in time, McNabb will join John in those ranks as a HOF'er.

Not if I was a voter, but purely my opinion. A good QB to very good QB surrounded by a great Defense. But in my opinion its the Hall of Fame, not the Hall of Good Players. But just my opinion and I am in the minority. But I dont think he is a lock like most do. health issues. And if you want to go by stats alone, compare his to Jake Delhomme and they are pretty close (guys that came out at a similar time). Sure he won and that is the biggest goal, but he did not shine when it counted!

yeah but John will have 2 more rings than McNabb will have :act-up:

Hey, he almost ended up in the Black Hole of the NFL.... OAKLAND! I dont like the Eagles but I wish that on NO ONE! With McNabbs status and years in the league did he have any say in it at all? Could he have said no to a trade?

technically no, the Eagles were trying to be nice to him. Supposedly Oakland's offer was better than the Skins'. He could not have reported for a bit like Richard Seymour did when the Pats traded him to Oakland but in the end they have to or they get fined big time

Hey, he almost ended up in the Black Hole of the NFL.... OAKLAND! I dont like the Eagles but I wish that on NO ONE! With McNabbs status and years in the league did he have any say in it at all? Could he have said no to a trade?

now he's saying he never said he would retire before going to the Raiders, and he had no say cause no did not have a no trade clause or limited no trade clause. of course he could have pulled a Jake Plummer but I dont think he would have done that he wants to prove Philly wrong

Miami acquires Brandon Marshall for 2011 and 2012 2nd round picks.

Ugh...Good thing the Jets have Darrelle Revis.

Posted from my BlackBerry using BerryBlab

that's an excellent pick up for the fins. it's driving me nuts seeing a lot of teams do something in the offseason whilst the panthers twiddle their thumbs. it's gonna be a rough year for us.

that's a win/win deal for both teams...AFC East is going to be nasty this year!

that's a win/win deal for both teams...AFC East is going to be nasty this year!

i agree completely thanks. it'll be the most competitive conference to watch that's for sure. at least by acquiring marshall, defenses can't just focus on the fins' ground attack. chad henne isn't elite but he can be lethal in the pocket.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back