PING G30 Driver Review

JB

Follow @THPGolf on Social Media
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
Nice review on this one Dan! The natural high high launch profile does scare me some but it’s good to hear that you can find a low or low/mid profile via the stock shaft & adjustability.
Still curious to learn if the turbulators truly do anything or not, but I like what I’m reading regarding the forgiveness.

Great at write up Dan. I had my first range session with my new G30 yesterday. The Turbulators truly disappear...I never noticed them while hitting and actually forgot about them until I got home. Tremendous stick!!!

I don't find this head high launching at all really. For me it just hits mid trajectory low spin bombs!! With my old 913d3 my miss was a high slice. I don't have that with the G30 it is so forgiving that you can almost miss the ball and it will still find the fairway. Since getting this thing my handicap has dropped a whole stroke in just under 2 weeks! Finding a lot moe fairways!!

• Admin
I don't find this head high launching at all really. For me it just hits mid trajectory low spin bombs!! With my old 913d3 my miss was a high slice. I don't have that with the G30 it is so forgiving that you can almost miss the ball and it will still find the fairway. Since getting this thing my handicap has dropped a whole stroke in just under 2 weeks! Finding a lot moe fairways!!

This is interesting to me. Did you play the G25 prior? Have you had your spin measured on a launch monitor? Genuinely curious.

Nice write-up, Dan. Still haven't hit it, but it sounds like a great all-around driver.

This is interesting to me. Did you play the G25 prior? Have you had your spin measured on a launch monitor? Genuinely curious.
I would have to say the same thing. It is higher spin than the i25 but I still get some pretty low spin numbers with the g30 compared to many other drivers on the market. Also seeing a mid flight again not as low as the i25 but not high either.

• Admin
I would have to say the same thing. It is higher spin than the i25 but I still get some pretty low spin numbers with the g30 compared to many other drivers on the market. Also seeing a mid flight again not as low as the i25 but not high either.

To me it is higher spinning than both the i25 and Anser from Ping. It is also higher spinning in our testing to Bio Cell Plus, Big Bertha Alpha, SLDR, J40, Titleist 915 (more on that soon), Covert Tour 2.0. And FWIW, I am not saying that is a bad thing at all. I was just surprised to hear low spin bombs, I guess. But that could be because we test everything on the monitor. Users are going to have different "mileage" of course and that is why we love THPers.

To me it is higher spinning than both the i25 and Anser from Ping. It is also higher spinning in our testing to Bio Cell Plus, Big Bertha Alpha, SLDR, J40, Titleist 915 (more on that soon), Covert Tour 2.0. And FWIW, I am not saying that is a bad thing at all. I was just surprised to hear low spin bombs, I guess. But that could be because we test everything on the monitor. Users are going to have different "mileage" of course and that is why we love THPers.
My results are similar then for sure higher spin than the i25 close with the anser. Out of the others I spin the alpha,covert and Bio Cell plus much more than most people for some reason . The SLDR and J40 are also for sure lower spinning in my experience. I will find out about the 915 at some point .

Personally everything about the g30 to me is mid. Mid to lower (not low) spin Mid launch .

I should note I am also playing the driver at 44.5 and with a fuel 60x in it.

Higher launch, and improved toe forgiveness sounds like a winner to me. Great overall review Dan!

What loft /shaft combo are you playing? Surprised how low your launch angle is with a swing speed that high. Some pretty impressive numbers .

10.5* head with the tour 65 xstiff shaft. Gives me a great ball flight!!

Good stuff, Dan. Following along with your testing on this has me really really wanting to hit this thing.

Great job Dan. Been looking forward to this review. We obviously have different swings, but I didnt find that I had any higher launch than I usually do but thats more of the product of my swing and struggling to get the ball higher. I didnt tinker with the settings so maybe I just needed to loft it up a little bit. The one thing I did notice is how the ball absolutely explodes off the face. In hand, the club is much much nicer than in pictures. The flat black is really sharp and the turbulators really arent an issue in terms of looks.

Well done Dan. I can agree with everything you said. With the limited time I had with the club, I was still quite impressed. I Would be happy to put in the bag and game it full time.

I cannot wait to give this thing a swing.

Extremely well written Mr. Dan. Its an interesting driver for sure and having spent time with it I can see why its generating some buzz, particularly among those who have tried the G-series before, its a definite improvement there.

Good stuff Dan. Keep up the good work!

Looking forward to getting my G30 out for a round or *gasp* even a range session next week.

I have consistently preferred the I series over the G, but still can not wait to try this bad boy out. Great review Dan, so thorough and very well written.

Nice write up. I like my G25 a lot and hit it well. Not sure if the G30 would give me anything extra or not. Just have to try one and see.

Mostly I just want to be able to say "turbulators" every time I use it to annoy my playing partners. :)

I had the g25, traded with someone for the 913d2, then bought the g30, and i've been alternating between the two. The G30 is great, as i have found that if i swing slowly and with good tempo it goes further than the d2. I've got a stock R shaft in it, and that is fine for me. A flush hit with the D2 is like hitting a marshmallow, so i would say the sound off the face is loud, but not as loud as the G25.

Nudge here for the weekend crowds.

PING G30 Driver Review

After JB's comment on this being higher spin vs most drivers they've put it against, I'm wondering if I can hit it. In my fitting for a new driver, we tried the G25 and couldn't make it work with 5 different shafts, vs what I was putting-up with the Bertha. Curious if I'd see similar high spin here. I was over 3000 no matter the shaft with the G25.

Man... I've been in contact with our rewards center at work about using some points to get one of these, but now I'm not so sure. Sheesh. And, as usual, the only demos around here have the non-tour shaft in senior, regular, and stiff. Those won't work.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back