Callaway Big Bertha V-Series Driver - THP Review Thread

Having hit this and a yet to be announced Callaway driver, I think I like this one better.

Man, I wish we had more time to tinker with these in Hilton Head. I like what I saw out of the 10.5* stiff (same trajectory as my cobra but with no ballooning) but not totally convinced that the 9* wouldn't be a better option for me. I liked the Bassara in the 10.5* but know nothing about the 565. I'm guessing that these shafts perform somewhat similarly, right?

I'm doing a great job of confusing the situation for myself lol :banghead:

Man, I wish we had more time to tinker with these in Hilton Head. I like what I saw out of the 10.5* stiff (same trajectory as my cobra but with no ballooning) but not totally convinced that the 9* wouldn't be a better option for me. I liked the Bassara in the 10.5* but know nothing about the 565. I'm guessing that these shafts perform somewhat similarly, right?

I'm doing a great job of confusing the situation for myself lol :banghead:
Nate, I am in love with this driver as well. The trajectory was mid flight for me, which is key. I am thinking driver and 3 wood. I am stuck between the V series and Ping G30. I think this would be a solid choice for you.

Nate, I am in love with this driver as well. The trajectory was mid flight for me, which is key. I am thinking driver and 3 wood. I am stuck between the V series and Ping G30. I think this would be a solid choice for you.

I agree. Just don't know which one! I wish I could have seen you hit the V. Sounds like it didn't suck :beer:

Two pretty different beasts in the end having been hitting them side by side FWIW. G30 is lower spinning and launching IMO.

This one got put to work some more yesterday, you still see the spin axis being tilted off of the heel/toe and resulting a little cut/draw spin but its pretty mild compared to some others I have hit this year. Additionally, high off the face, this one is down right impressive.

Just high, mid-ish spinning shots all day that want to be in play. Forgiveness is real in this one.

Just a smudge excited for next weekend's run with this bad boy.

Going with a 10.5* stock setup.

Depending on time, might tinker with opening it up to 11ish

Just a smudge excited for next weekend's run with this bad boy.

Going with a 10.5* stock setup.

Depending on time, might tinker with opening it up to 11ish

I thought I requested you do with the 9 degree. Oh well, still going to be fun watching you hit this(assuming you have it by then)

I thought I requested you do with the 9 degree. Oh well, still going to be fun watching you hit this(assuming you have it by then)

I play mine at 9.5*, and we will have a couple different options for you try in it too.

I will indeed...hand delivered

I like these last 2 posts

I like these last 2 posts

#options

Going to work on the range this week to hopefully make sure the swings I put on this bad boys arent the bad ones.

I am really looking forward to hitting this next week on the range. Really glad Josh has a LH one since none of the 3 stores in Kansas City have them

I am really looking forward to hitting this next week on the range. Really glad Josh has a LH one since none of the 3 stores in Kansas City have them

I'll be curious to see what you think.

Also curious to see how it goes with Mike, its not super ultra mega high spin though so who knows if it helps the knuckler (you know I tease buddy).

Its a solid all around driver, I am adamant about that having spent the time testing it that I now have, I know some will have their "surprise" comments, but its true, its really good at what its designed to be. Its not for everyone in its stock ultralight setup, but its also not weak as some seem to preemptively think it is (shaft wise). I'm playing it at 9.5 now and the launch/spin is in a heck of a good place for me and my needs personally. Nonpersonally though, its a very forgiving setup laterally and though you notice it being light in hand, I can still feel the head through the swing and the body acclimates seamlessly bouncing from a "normal" setup to this lightweight one.

I would like to hit the 9* head to be honest. I'm also eager to see some people get time with this one next week.

Should be putting this to paper this weekend I hope.

If you have any q's, feel free to ask. Its what I'm here for and what I love to do.

I will probably have some more questions after I hit it. I wonder (and may be skimming) did you try the chrome in this yet? Just curious if distance would be comparable between bertha and V going apples to apples?

James, have you hit the Tour Green shaft found in the X2Hot woods? I'm assuming you have but have to ask.

How do you think the Tour Green would play in v series head? I understand it is different for every swing, I truly get that. But I don't think there is a way for me to test a tour green in a v series head right now. Maybe one of my local stores has the setup...

I will probably have some more questions after I hit it. I wonder (and may be skimming) did you try the chrome in this yet? Just curious if distance would be comparable between bertha and V going apples to apples?

I've not, but I did play the v shaft in the Bertha and talked a bit about it a while back in here I think. Waiting until after review to try anything else in this head, if I do.

James, have you hit the Tour Green shaft found in the X2Hot woods? I'm assuming you have but have to ask.

How do you think the Tour Green would play in v series head? I understand it is different for every swing, I truly get that. But I don't think there is a way for me to test a tour green in a v series head right now. Maybe one of my local stores has the setup...

No idea dude, info unfamiliar with that shaft, sorry!

I'll be curious to see what you think.

Also curious to see how it goes with Mike, its not super ultra mega high spin though so who knows if it helps the knuckler (you know I tease buddy).

Its a solid all around driver, I am adamant about that having spent the time testing it that I now have, I know some will have their "surprise" comments, but its true, its really good at what its designed to be. Its not for everyone in its stock ultralight setup, but its also not weak as some seem to preemptively think it is (shaft wise). I'm playing it at 9.5 now and the launch/spin is in a heck of a good place for me and my needs personally. Nonpersonally though, its a very forgiving setup laterally and though you notice it being light in hand, I can still feel the head through the swing and the body acclimates seamlessly bouncing from a "normal" setup to this lightweight one.

I would like to hit the 9* head to be honest. I'm also eager to see some people get time with this one next week.

Should be putting this to paper this weekend I hope.

If you have any q's, feel free to ask. Its what I'm here for and what I love to do.
Oh i know for sure it won't cure it all now if I can gain some more spin with the same crappy swing I'm all 4 it.

Oh i know for sure it won't cure it all now if I can gain some more spin with the same crappy swing I'm all 4 it.

I honestly think you'll enjoy it. I truly do.

Was thinking about something as I write on this review, it is AMAZING how far Callaway has come acoustically with their forged composite since the Diablo's.

I have zero problem saying there is not another company out there right now that gets sound as "right" as Callaway does right now across all entire lines.

Was thinking about something as I write on this review, it is AMAZING how far Callaway has come acoustically with their forged composite since the Diablo's.

I have zero problem saying there is not another company out there right now that gets sound as "right" as Callaway does right now across all entire lines.
Where as I agree with you dude, it's really a personal thing.

For the mostpart, sound is, but I don't think many would argue the point that across the entire spectrum Callaway seems to pay far more attention to getting the acoustics right to where they are pleasant for as many as possible. Bertha changed what sound could be, it was unique and different in a great way, they have followed suit in the other releases with the forged composite sound. Hollow is not an issue here as it is with some other releases where you have one good sounding head and one not so much (looking at you PING), there is consistency here, thats my point.

Do you think the acoustics is a target? Or a result of something else. Like just a great by product, or in some cases a disaster.

Edit. Asking cause I really have no idea

Do you think the acoustics is a target? Or a result of something else. Like just a great by product, or in some cases a disaster.

Edit. Asking cause I really have no idea

I think that performance is clearly always first and foremost, but I do believe they put more stock into sound than some of the others.

I look at it this way, a bad sound may not turn everyone off, but a good sound turns no one off.

I didn't know if during the R&D side of club building process where it fit in. Obviously not top priority. Maybe a tertiary concern

I have put a tour green into a V head. It a smooth shaft. I was on a foresight monitor and saw an improvement over my current driver.

Back