Callaway Big Bertha V-Series Driver - THP Review Thread

Well, if this helps, I received the BBV 10.5/Speeder 565 Combo at 45 in. this week -- hit it yesterday but was doing a lot of swing drills. So I went out today for a shorter session --- hit some bombs at the range with the BBV 10.5 (+1)/Speeder Combo. Tee'd the ball slightly lower (half the ball still above crown) and received flattish bombs that did not spin much with range balls ...

Results are really good... really good. I received that flattish flight that decent players receive. With a real ball, I would have gotten a higher flight and the ball would have risen before flattening out...

My only issue with the club -- because Callaway has done such a good job with sound - very soft - the feel off the ball is a bit muted and soft feeling. With my Bobby Jones Black driver, feel is more direct and I know exactly where I hit it on the face. With the BBV, I'm still guessing.

But if you want ball go far and this fits, preliminary results are that ball go far ..

Between the new swing and this lite weight, I may have to move up a flex to stiff.

So, being that I'm closing out my thoughts for this review I finally broke down and tried a couple different shafts in the head to verify some things.

It is, without a doubt, a launcher. It just is, the LA that I get in both 10.5 and 9.5 settings with all three shafts are exactly what, IMO, the design is intended to do. As for spin, its not drastically high, it does spin higher in its stock setup than the G30 that I just finished testing and also launches higher. To me, I would class it as low-mid/mid spin with the Bassara in it. That did come down a little with the shaft changes, but not drastically.

Where it shines is forgiveness. The gear effect is there like any other driver, fade tendency off the heel and draw off of the toe, but the ball wants to stay in play. The lateral forgiveness and high on the face though is just really really solid. Its better there, for me, than Bertha. But remember, YMMV.

Distance wise its good, not seeing drastic gains or losses, its right on par for me with what I've seen from the Bertha.

Happy to not see the words "low" and spin matched together for this one. Im hoping I can make the stock shaft work with my knucklers, and regardless Im a big fan of the forgiveness anyhow.

In general, is this more forgiving and higher launching than the Bertha?

Happy to not see the words "low" and spin matched together for this one. Im hoping I can make the stock shaft work with my knucklers, and regardless Im a big fan of the forgiveness anyhow.

I'm hoping it works for you as well. I see 208 in your future #flex

In general, is this more forgiving and higher launching than the Bertha?

I've talked about that in recent updates in here, but yes it does launch higher (same loft to same loft), spins a touch more, and IMO is very forgiving laterally but there it is very similar to Bertha, I do believe this one is better high off the face for what I am seeing though.

I'm hoping it works for you as well. I see 208 in your future #flex

I'll take what I can get

5I instead of Hybo into greens on par 4's now

For those that will be there at PGA National this weekend I'll have this one in hand for sure, I'm also bringing 3 other shafts of different weight/launch/spin profiles for those that want to see what the head can do. I will say though, to do so you MUST first hit the stock setup b/c I think its really solid for a majority of people. Additionally, I'm putting electrical tape on the topline because I don't trust any of you. :alien:

I am really really interested in trying the LH version of this at PGA National.

I went to Golfsmith to try the UT and this and neither were available for sale or to demo in LH

For those that will be there at PGA National this weekend I'll have this one in hand for sure, I'm also bringing 3 other shafts of different weight/launch/spin profiles for those that want to see what the head can do. I will say though, to do so you MUST first hit the stock setup b/c I think its really solid for a majority of people. Additionally, I'm putting electrical tape on the topline because I don't trust any of you. :alien:

Any of those shafts higher launching than stock (just in case)

Any of those shafts higher launching than stock (just in case)

Nope, but honestly Mike, I don't think you will need one buddy. This at 10.5 turned to 11.5 should really help you, it honestly is a launcher.

I'm waiting to finish my review until I get to see people with it this weekend, I've got a few thoughts I want to see/witness with it.

Nope, but honestly Mike, I don't think you will need one buddy. This at 10.5 turned to 11.5 should really help you, it honestly is a launcher.

I'm waiting to finish my review until I get to see people with it this weekend, I've got a few thoughts I want to see/witness with it.
Sounds good to me and yeah I got no issues cranking it up if need be too

Really glad to see this seems to be a higher launching driver even at lower lofts. Would love to get my hands on the 9 degree. Sounds right up my alley!

Really glad to see this seems to be a higher launching driver even at lower lofts. Would love to get my hands on the 9 degree. Sounds right up my alley!

I really want to hit the 9* head, I'm hoping maybe it makes the trip this weekend from THP HQ (pleeeeeeease?), as the best results for me (personal, not about the review) have been turning the 10.5 down to 9.5.

Hit this yesterday in the 10.5 head. Launch monster indeed. Need to try the 9 degree head

I think members will also enjoy the 10.5 in the Speeder 569 shaft to bring down the flight and add consistency if you cut to 45 inches. At first glance, that's what it's done for me. But I also have a stock shaft coming to compare the Speeder and Eagle against the other.

For stronger players with speed, I think the 9/Speeder will work. According to Hocknell, they made each of these heads a bit different for the perceived player -- at 9 degrees, I think it will differ from the 10.5 in more than terms of mere loft. I would guess lower spin and less help with launch for the stronger player.

Tried out the v series today, first impressions are that its a lovely looking driver, traditional shape, great sound and a great feel off the face. For me, the 10.5 with stiff shaft was spinning to much, over 3000. Changed to the 9 with the speeder and bingo, spin down to 2300 the driver i have been waiting for. My ss is 98mph avg. Some have said the head cover is great, in my opinion its the only negative.

Tried out the v series today, first impressions are that its a lovely looking driver, traditional shape, great sound and a great feel off the face. For me, the 10.5 with stiff shaft was spinning to much, over 3000. Changed to the 9 with the speeder and bingo, spin down to 2300 the driver i have been waiting for. My ss is 98mph avg. Some have said the head cover is great, in my opinion its the only negative.

How would those numbers hold up spin wise to what you normally get?

I would think with your SS, higher spin would be your friend.

I think members will also enjoy the 10.5 in the Speeder 569 shaft to bring down the flight and add consistency if you cut to 45 inches. At first glance, that's what it's done for me. But I also have a stock shaft coming to compare the Speeder and Eagle against the other.

For stronger players with speed, I think the 9/Speeder will work. According to Hocknell, they made each of these heads a bit different for the perceived player -- at 9 degrees, I think it will differ from the 10.5 in more than terms of mere loft. I would guess lower spin and less help with launch for the stronger player.

FWIW, my SS is in the 105 range and the stock Bassara is just fine as it pertains to consistency, it is not a weak shaft just because its light.

FWIW, my SS is in the 105 range and the stock Bassara is just fine as it pertains to consistency, it is not a weak shaft just because its light.

The bolded is money and that is what Callaway conveyed to us when we did the on the course testing with them.

Forgot to add that the 10.5 head only had a regular flex shaft. I swing 112 MPH and didn't even find the regular shaft "weak" or "whippy".

The bolded is money and that is what Callaway conveyed to us when we did the on the course testing with them.

It seems to be the never ending battle , getting it across that light isn't weak anymore. So many preconceived notions.

THat notion is dug in lick a tick in peoples mind. Just not the case in anyway shape of form. I was getting after the 3W and it felt great. Hand I not known it was a light club, I would have never known by the way it performed or felt.
It seems to be the never ending battle , getting it across that light isn't weak anymore. So many preconceived notions.

Agreed.

Some swing better with a slightly heavier shaft -- club balance, feel, something.... je ne sais quoi ... it works for them.

I found the 569 brought flight down a bit, and when you consider the following: it is 13 more grams, but .5 inches is cut off the shaft, I'd guess it's only about 7-8g heavier for the club with the Fuji. Let's see what happens when one plays the stock shaft at 45 in.

Last edited:
Back