Ryder Cup Patriotic Question

Atxpkrgolf

Reaction score
Handicap
8&rising
I watch a lot of golf. I live in Texas where Football is God and I still watch Golf on Sunday (Granted one of the Tvs has Football on)

Watching all these europeans play on PGA you get to liking and following some of them. If I'm being honest I am a wayyyy bigger fan of Sergio and Rory then I am of Tiger and Bubba.

Here is the question and it's gonna be different for Europeans b/c hardly any Americans solely play on their Tour but when watching the Ryder Cup are u just blindly rooting for USA to win even if u don't like some of the players??

I have a huge disdain for Bubba and Im only rooting for him if he's playing that douche Faldo. I like
a lot of the Americans but find myself rooting for Europe in some matches also. Just curious if I'm alone here (insert Benedict Arnold comments)

Unless Sir Nick climbs out of the broadcasting tower, points at Bubba and says "YOU and me, mate - right now" I don't think Bubba will play him this RC.

:act-up:

I'm Canadian I root for good golf. #NotHelpful. I find myself rooting for individuals like Stenson, Rory, Speith etc.

I must admit I share some of your feelings. Sometimes I think I would rather spend four hours with some of the "Euros" than some of my countrymen.

I find myself rooting for European individuals and wanting the US to win the cup.

View may be tainted as a European but i think they maybe show more emotion and when you see rory and garcia on tv having a laugh together and really picking eachother up i cant help but feel on or off the field of play they would be a great couple of blokes to hang out with where as Bubba seems like hes stuck up his own ass idk :p

I just love great golf, and there isn't much better drama than the Ryder Cup for that purpose. Yes, I'm routing for the USA, but I just LOVE great golf and great golf shoots from anyone. I find myself watching (for example) Justin Rose and Henrik Stenson in the morning matches throw down 10 straight birdies, that's just ridiculous awesome golf, and I couldn't help but love to see that.

Glad to hear responses and thank u. And watching that morning match was something special. I just love great golf myself

I watch a lot of golf. I live in Texas where Football is God and I still watch Golf on Sunday (Granted one of the Tvs has Football on)

Watching all these europeans play on PGA you get to liking and following some of them. If I'm being honest I am a wayyyy bigger fan of Sergio and Rory then I am of Tiger and Bubba.

Here is the question and it's gonna be different for Europeans b/c hardly any Americans solely play on their Tour but when watching the Ryder Cup are u just blindly rooting for USA to win even if u don't like some of the players??

I have a huge disdain for Bubba and Im only rooting for him if he's playing that douche Faldo. I like
a lot of the Americans but find myself rooting for Europe in some matches also. Just curious if I'm alone here (insert Benedict Arnold comments)

You are not alone. I'm also not a fan of Bubba or Tiger or Keagan for that matter, and Phil pissed me off when he withdrew a couple of weeks ago, so while I am proudly an American, I only one generation removed from being Irish so I don't really care one way or the other. I just don't get all that worked up about the Ryder Cub myself.........

I'm happy for the euros and like a bunch of them while not being able to even watch bubba, Keegan , Phil , and furyk.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Frank Nobilo made an excellent point a few days back. Everyone likes beating the Americans (nothing personal, my wife is American, my child will be half American and I live in America). No time for Monty at all, but I rooted for him 1 billion per cent in the RC. So yeah, Europe are my team (even though I don't see myself as European) so I'm right behind 'em!

I like watching the Euros because of their passion and fire for the love of team, unfortunately I just don't see that fire in our guys and haven't for many years. If I'm unpatriotic because I love the passion for the game than so be it lol, God knows I love my country but I don't like a lot of our golfers.

Last edited:
I bleed 100 percent Team USA no matter the outcome of the Ryder Cup, Olympics, or what ever competition might be happening. I do like many of the non American golfers and would love to sit down and have a beer with em, however when the games begin, I'm all Team USA.

This is the one time this year I will cheer for Bubba.

I loved seeing the passion from Reed today. I don't expect all the guys to like that or rah-rah because everyone is different, but it was refreshing.

In the Ryder Cup I cheer for Europe but I'm a huge fan of many American golfers.

I say 'cheer for' but its pretty passive. I find it hard for me as a Canadian to get really fired up about a Tournament we aren't invited to. To me right now, I'm just glad good golf is on TV.

Isn't everyone on both Ryder Cup teams American? They all live here....

Ha ha, I live here, but I ain't American. We just come over here stealing your jobs and women :D

In the Ryder Cup I cheer for Europe but I'm a huge fan of many American golfers.

I say 'cheer for' but its pretty passive. I find it hard for me as a Canadian to get really fired up about a Tournament we aren't invited to. To me right now, I'm just glad good golf is on TV.

Just saying I would not mine having a player like Graham DeLaet as a comrade on a team composed of North American golfers.

I don't think it's un patriotic to root for a player form another country over yours. Like you I root for some of the Europeans over the Americans. Not a Bubba fan and some others. Cheer for Rory, IJP, McDowell, Kaymer. I look at golf as a world sport and you root for whoever you like.

I guess it is like any other team I cheer for, I cheer for the laundry despite what I think of some of the individual players. So I am definitely a USA homer, despite a growing lack of respect for Bubba. Kind of put him in the the same boat as Poulter.

I'd like to see the USA win, but have to admire the European effort that seems to surface every two years. They NEVER miss a putt of importance, they hole out from everywhere, and make clutch shot after clutch shot. They seem to save their best for the Ryder Cup. I give them tons of credit.

Ha ha, I live here, but I ain't American. We just come over here stealing your jobs and women :D
You joke about it but your not entirely wrong. These guys know they wouldn't make anywhere near the money they do playing and living in Europe. I love watching the Ryder cup but I know it's gonna be a long time before we see a win since the European team has such a passion for beating the USA. Look at the way guys like Poulter and Rose go nuts like they destroyed the enemy and not just won a golf match. The U.S. team just doesn't seam like they have that we need to destroy the evil empire in them.

Ryder Cup Patriotic Question

You joke about it but your not entirely wrong. These guys know they wouldn't make anywhere near the money they do playing and living in Europe. I love watching the Ryder cup but I know it's gonna be a long time before we see a win since the European team has such a passion for beating the USA. Look at the way guys like Poulter and Rose go nuts like they destroyed the enemy and not just won a golf match. The U.S. team just doesn't seam like they have that we need to destroy the evil empire in them.

It's difficult to show passion I guess when you are regularly getting beat.
You only have to check the respective Twitter feeds to see there is clear friendship and banter between the Europeans and Americans, so there is no hate there. It is a chance though for a golfer to step out of the straight jacket of regular tournament play, and basically act like a premier league center forward that's just won the champions league. That I think may explain some of the European reactions. If the younger Americans don't end up in the European team room later tonight I'll be amazed. Mickelson and Furyk will of course decline, choosing instead to remain in the US room so that they can play one last game of ping pong together before boarding the flight home LOL.

It does seem like most of the Euro team has homes here in the states, I wonder where the majority of their time is spent throughout the year?

It does seem like most of the Euro team has homes here in the states, I wonder where the majority of their time is spent throughout the year?

Ye but most good ice hockey players play in US does that make them american? Ofcourse not :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back