Snowboarding: Who does it?

sorry to read that, hope that you get better quickly

It's about 95% right now so I'm good with that. I was hoping to get a 120 mph ss out of it similar to the movie Rookie of the Year, lol. But it didn't happen. So I'll have to stick to being the short hitter.

Keep Calm and Golf On.

It's about 95% right now so I'm good with that. I was hoping to get a 120 mph ss out of it similar to the movie Rookie of the Year, lol. But it didn't happen. So I'll have to stick to being the short hitter.

Keep Calm and Golf On.

Short and (hopefully) straight!

Hahaha, ya short and offline normally doesn't work out to well. I was hitting 70% of fairways over my last 5 rounds last season with about 225-240 yards off the tee. I just need another 20 yards and I would be good.

Keep Calm and Golf On.

For my fellow snowboarders, how big of a difference is 1 cm in waist width?. I wear a size 12 boot so I didn't know if I'd be able to go with a regular board over a wide

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using Tapatalk

For my fellow snowboarders, how big of a difference is 1 cm in waist width?. I wear a size 12 boot so I didn't know if I'd be able to go with a regular board over a wide

It's pretty big. Size 12 boot should be on a wide board for anything under 160cm. Over that and you could get away with a regular WW. You ll notice toe drag way more than you ll notice the extra width.

It's pretty big. Size 12 boot should be on a wide board for anything under 160cm. Over that and you could get away with a regular WW. You ll notice toe drag way more than you ll notice the extra width.

Alright I only ask because someone had a newer gnu board 159 but not wide for sale. Thanks though.

Have never ski'd or snowboarded. However, if I had to do one or the other, I think I'd rather snowboard.

Have never ski'd or snowboarded. However, if I had to do one or the other, I think I'd rather snowboard.

I had always wanted to do it, so this year I said screw it and went and bought all the equipment and I love it.

Snowboarded back in the early 1980's for a few years but quickly became bored with it. Still a fanatic skier after 42 years. Golf is a very distant 2nd to skiing for me.

Well living in Michigan my golf season is relatively short so I'm looking to pick up a winter hobby. So snowboarding it is. Only thing is I don't know anything about the different equipment so I was hoping to get some input on what some goods that are good and which ones to watch out for.

Keep Calm and Golf On.

As I can tell from what's in your bag, you like to use quality equipment, I can only recommend one board manufacturer and that would be Never Summer. I have owned a few of their boards over the years and have yet to demo anything that is comparable. They have a board selector on their website and that might be a good place to start. But just as with golf I would recommend you find a demo day in your area and give them a go before you buy. I personally prefer Salomon boots, and ride bindings.

As I can tell from what's in your bag, you like to use quality equipment, I can only recommend one board manufacturer and that would be Never Summer. I have owned a few of their boards over the years and have yet to demo anything that is comparable. They have a board selector on their website and that might be a good place to start. But just as with golf I would recommend you find a demo day in your area and give them a go before you buy. I personally prefer Salomon boots, and ride bindings.

Thanks I'll give them a look. I ended up getting a k2 board with Rome 390 bindings and Burton boots as my starter set. But it seems that this hobby will be the same as my golf hobby and I will be a tinkerer. I'm really leaning towards an Arbor board.

That's all solid equipment, you should be good to go. My only recommendation for beginner boarders is to pick the right day to learn and by that I mean any day with a few inches of new snow. Good luck and have fun!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Just found this thread. I only made it out twice this year.

I want to snowboard again this winter. It's been around 4 years since I last went to a resort. I bought some boots already so now I just need to get the board waxed and I should be good to go!

I've been snowboarding for a little over ten years now and still love it. I believe that the most important aspect of getting a comfortable set of boots is to find something that holds your heels in place nicely. I find that when you're shifting from heel to toe-edge, the heel of your feel can lift up easily from your boots if they are not a snug fit.

I wear size 10.5 boots and I bought a wide waist board. If your boots overhang the board by more than 1 inch, your toes will probably drag in the snow when you're on your toe-edge (depends on how you angle your bindings/boots also).

I really hope the snow is better this year!! ;)

the snow was great here last year, but I hope we get a bit less this year :)

I agree that the boots are the most important, I wear size 13 shoes, and have size 12 boots, I like snug and tight.

I have been snowboarding for the last 6 years, unfortunately I don't get to go as much as I would like. I get at most 3 days in on the slopes. Weather around here is crazy where the slopes might not open until New Years and they are closing by early March. The closest place to me is 1h45 mins away which makes it hard to just go after work plus with school that doesn't help.

I like my boots to be on the snug side as well. I hope i can get out a few times this year, last year was only 1 time.

I have been riding for about 25 years. I started teaching when I was in college (Penn State) and currently still instruct at Stratton VT in the winter time. This will be my 19th year teaching at Stratton. Currently a Level III AASI instructor. Love riding and get about 40-50 days on the hill a season. Usually get to score a Jackson Hole week (mostly backcountry) with some friends but enjoy riding with my son the most right now. He just turned 5 and this will be is second full season riding. We put him on a board at 3 and just played, but last season he was riding on his own.

Its a great sport and if anyone here is in the northeast please stop in and say hello. Be glad to help you out.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    70.7 KB · Views: 0
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    90 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
I have been riding for about 25 years. I started teaching when I was in college (Penn State) and currently still instruct at Stratton VT in the winter time. This will be my 19th year teaching at Stratton. Currently a Level III AASI instructor. Love riding and get about 40-50 days on the hill a season. Usually get to score a Jackson Hole week (mostly backcountry) with some friends but enjoy riding with my son the most right now. He just turned 5 and this will be is second full season riding. We put him on a board at 3 and just played, but last season he was riding on his own.

Its a great sport and if anyone here is in the northeast please stop in and say hello. Be glad to help you out.
I had my now 2 year old out riding last winter and he did surprisingly well. He made it down the bunny hill without falling on a leashed board.

How's the skiing/snowboarding looking for everyone.

not looking good right now. the one resort i go to only had about 1/2 the slopes open and we have warm weather and rain coming. hopefully after the new year it will be better

I don't ski or snowboard. Was not allowed to in college (for scholarship purposes), and didn't have the time or money in graduate school. The wife ski's and she has lots of family in Colorado (a couple of whom spend time on the slopes as ski patrol), but I think the idea of snowboarding is more appealing to me.

I tought about going on boxing day but the weather looks like crap

Things are getting good in Aspen. Have has some good early snow totals so the snow is as good as we could hope for at this point in the season. Had a day full of powder turns yesterday. Looking like it will be a great season.

Things are getting good in Aspen. Have has some good early snow totals so the snow is as good as we could hope for at this point in the season. Had a day full of powder turns yesterday. Looking like it will be a great season.
Must be nice, we are still in golfing weather I guess(steady mid-high 40s) so all our snow is man made it, and it's HARD. I'm out tonight but after next week I'll be going to 7 days a week til March or April so I doubt ill be out much this year.

Kai will be snowboarding in February out at Keystone. Going to start him out young.

Back