Webster

Reaction score
Handicap
LOFT
Started out as just simple curiosity about where the family might have originated; and something to do on long winter nights. Then discovered that you needed to work on it during the summer as well. Then along came the internet and it became a 12 month obsession to the point of burn out. Met some interesting people as a result(face to face and over the net). Interesting both in the good sense and bad. Have a couple of small mysteries; yet to solve so will hang with it for a bit longer before finding someone to become the caretaker of what I have.

One of my Mom's brothers did that for their family not too long ago. Came up with some interesting stuff to say the least.

I used ancestry.com. I found some pretty interesting things as well. My Pops gathered a lot of info when he was in his 20's(40 years ago) and many of the people were still alive and lucid. They were able to give a lot of info and he has it all in a box. I am in the process of getting it on a tree.

I used ancestry.com. I found some pretty interesting things as well. My Pops gathered a lot of info when he was in his 20's(40 years ago) and many of the people were still alive and lucid. They were able to give a lot of info and he has it all in a box. I am in the process of getting it on a tree.

Anyone interested in this sort of thing; I would definitely recommend some sort of computer software.

A relative of mine did that a number of years ago. It was interesting what she found. IMO, its important to know who you are and where you come from.

Ancestry.com got me a lot of good info when I was doing this a few months ago. You can access their premium information for 14 days free, and cancel online if you don't deem it worthwhile to keep paying for.

Ancestry.com got me a lot of good info when I was doing this a few months ago. You can access their premium information for 14 days free, and cancel online if you don't deem it worthwhile to keep paying for.

Just remember this type of info is only as good as the person who has prepared it. There is a little "gold" but a lot more "crap".

There's a show on TV that does this. They take a star one per episode and the show traces their geneology and its pretty intersting. The one that I saw was with Emmit Smith and then Sarah Jessica Parker.

My dad is really into this. He even went as far as contacting the naval base my grandfather was stationed at during WWII to get naval records. Really interesting stuff. Turns out we're probably more Scottish, with less Irish blood than we had thought. Oh well, more golf and a bit less drinking, right?

I was given the family bible a few years ago and was curious about some of the older names written down (early 1800's). I was able to trace my family to Prague around the mid 1200's. Apparently, there are a couple of books in print that were written (which was my main source of info) about my ancestors immigrating to America and settling in North Carolina.

I was given the family bible a few years ago and was curious about some of the older names written down (early 1800's). I was able to trace my family to Prague around the mid 1200's. Apparently, there are a couple of books in print that were written (which was my main source of info) about my ancestors immigrating to America and settling in North Carolina.

That's cool Maxwell. As I sort of suggested before other's work can be very interesting and a big help in getting started; but only(totally) trust your own. Some people accept a lot at face value and with the internet perpetuate it. Remember even if it appears in a book there can be errors; so use this source to help you find the facts.

Back