Parent-Child Golf

well it wasn't so much for the "formal" lessons... it was more of a "summer" camp type thing.... with a bunch of other kids 4-6 yo and it will only be about a month before she turns 6 anyway..... june/july.

Boo Girl and I headed to the range today. She may or may not be growing out of her current clubs, and we have a set one size up, that my nephew had handed down to The Kid. So much for trying to save a buck. The bigger clubs have steel shafts and are regular flex. There is no way Boo Girl can manage them.

On the upside, she is driving the ball about 100 yards. Very cool. Nice parent-child clinic this afternoon. The first hole is about 85 yards, and Boo got to the green with her six iron off the tee.

Yeah, Boo Girl on a solid six iron into the green. Time for new clubs!

Kevin

Yeah, Boo Girl on a solid six iron into the green. Time for new clubs!

Kevin

She doesn't like the golf pride grips on her USKG set. I promised her I'd pop to regrip her next set in Winn's.

Oh--she's also gaming the AX putter I won for her, even though it's pretty long. She just chokes down on it (and knew of her own accord that's what to do). Otherwise it looks like a belly putter.

Watch how the putter works for her. J.L. was struggling with a full length putter even at her size, and improved immensely when she went back to a U.S. Kids that is 31". The weight was maybe more of a big deal than the length. Long putts were especially difficult.

Kevin

Thanks. Boo's putting is her weak area now. She'll practically plumb bob the green and then line herself up at random.

Females have a tendency to line up to the right. Even well seasoned players. So says J.L.'s coach, and he has scientific evidence he spouts to prove it. That's why you see the caddies of female pros do so much more lining up than the caddies for males. She'll figure that out. Speed is much more important than line.

Besides, it should be nothing but fun for her for the next couple years anyway. Then she can start worrying about scoring. Of course, you have to deal with that minimum score thing at your club before she gets into the junior league, don't you? Not sure I like that. They should make that judgement on the ability to move along and the dedication of the kid, not whether they can shoot 28 or whatever it was on three holes.

Kevin

She's got enough distance and consistency now that 3 holes in 25 strokes or less shouldn't be an issue. Of course, the 6 hole league will take twice as long as the 3 hole league.

She's got enough distance and consistency now that 3 holes in 25 strokes or less shouldn't be an issue. Of course, the 6 hole league will take twice as long as the 3 hole league.

It's so great when they can play with other kids. Last summer was kind of a solo thing for J.L., and I think she got a little lonely to be honest. This year is going to be way different and I hope she really has fun. Starting in two weeks the high school golf coach has set up three different programs that run consecutively for the middle school. First they learn some basics and hit some balls, the following week they take a clinic/lessons from a local pro that once played on tour, and the final week they do three short lessons followed by three nine hole rounds. There were a bunch of kids at the meeting, and she found out some kids are interested in golf that she never would have guessed. I gave a little talk at the meeting about the State PGA junior events, and had a number of parents ask me questions after. I think she'll see at least a few kids she knows this year at the par three events.

Then in the summer she starts her group lessons where she'll meet more kids and play golf. Those lessons are full, and there are three other girls in her group. Then there are the summer tournaments. This will be the summer for her to really get into it and hang out with kids instead if dear old Dad and Mom. I hope she loves it.

Kevin

Boo Girl and I went to the junior golf breakfast yesterday. Afterwards, they had some US Kids Golf clubs to demo. She's in the green set, so she tried a couple of yellows (the next size up). They're too long; she was standing too upright with them. The sales rep suggested she try their tour series driver, and Boo Girl just hit thet snot out of it. With not nearly enough shoulder turn on the takeaway, she was driving the ball 100 yards. Bear in mind, she'll turn 10 in three weeks. So I bought her a $150 driver she'll only be able to use one year.

Boo Girl and I went to the junior golf breakfast yesterday. Afterwards, they had some US Kids Golf clubs to demo. She's in the green set, so she tried a couple of yellows (the next size up). They're too long; she was standing too upright with them. The sales rep suggested she try their tour series driver, and Boo Girl just hit thet snot out of it. With not nearly enough shoulder turn on the takeaway, she was driving the ball 100 yards. Bear in mind, she'll turn 10 in three weeks. So I bought her a $150 driver she'll only be able to use one year.

Yeah, Claire. She has to have the big stick to get the job done. J.L. had the Silver series. I'd send them to you if my bankrupt buddy hadn't already called dibs for his daughter.

Kevin

No worries. I take it that's JL in your avatar?

We took our 5 year old daughter out last week and played a 9-hole par-3 course. This was her second round of golf. We used a golf cart for this course. I did my best to track all whiffs and penalties. And on a couple of holes we had to move her teeing area away from the water.

Final score: 75

I can't remember what she shot her first time, on an easier course. I'll get the score and post it for historical tracking. :D But, I do have that card signed by daughter, mommy and daddy and it is scanned into the PC. She almost had an ace in that round. Hit her tee shot 90 yards and burned the lip....ended up making an 8. LOL. That short game is tough. HAHA!

No worries. I take it that's JL in your avatar?

That's her from last summer at a tournament. She forgot her golf fleece and it was cold so Mrs. E had to run to a Walgreens and buy her that top. She was so unhappy wearing it she shot a 50 and took second place.

Kevin

That's her from last summer at a tournament. She forgot her golf fleece and it was cold so Mrs. E had to run to a Walgreens and buy her that top. She was so unhappy wearing it she shot a 50 and took second place.

Kevin

And now you're using it to torture her? As a father should.

my boy turns 9 in a few months and I cant wait any longer! I'm gonna buy him an iron or driver or maybe a junior set and look into parent/child lessons. probaly hit the range first to see how he does slash likes it. he asks to go with me all the time so I'm hoping he gets hooked too!

my boy turns 9 in a few months and I cant wait any longer! I'm gonna buy him an iron or driver or maybe a junior set and look into parent/child lessons. probaly hit the range first to see how he does slash likes it. he asks to go with me all the time so I'm hoping he gets hooked too!

At nine, he will--you're his hero right now. Take advantage of that.

thank you Claire! I get so envious hearing about all the great times you and Boo Girl and Esox and JL are having. I really hope he takes to it so he and I can add another cool thing to our man time!

thank you Claire! I get so envious hearing about all the great times you and Boo Girl and Esox and JL are having. I really hope he takes to it so he and I can add another cool thing to our man time!

He will. Some may disagree, but I say let him wail away at it. His first instinct is going to be to hit it hard, and why the heck not? If you can, find him an old putter you can cut off. After you're done hitting, do a little putting. Have a little contest on the green and let him beat you. He'll love it.

Might as well turn him into a long hitter with a good short game right away.

You're going to love it. Make sure you tell him how cool it is that you get to take him with you, and you guys get to do something together that you really love. I used to thank J.L. for going with me.

Kevin

no doubt Kev, he will win 99.9% of time when we play golf games! I will win just having him there with me. I have been thinking about it all day! been searching the web for a good junior set, he's only 8y but 53" tall so I'm gonna go with a 9-12 year old set. ebay has some good deals starting around $50-60 for off brands. we saw a set at Wally World about a month ago but cant remember what brand or price so I will have to swing by there tommorow and if I find a good deal grab a set see we can hit the range on Saturday! I will keep you guys up to date and see if momma will let me post some photos!

just stumbled across Tiger Cub golf anyone know about them? good? bad? indifferent? thanks in advance for any help/info with this!

http://tigercubgolf.com/index.php

lol the new kid showing me up! thanks aca! I searched for Tiger Cub on the forum and it brought up a ton of pages so I got lazy! thanks big guy! :thankyou:

lol the new kid showing me up! thanks aca! I searched for Tiger Cub on the forum and it brought up a ton of pages so I got lazy! thanks big guy! :thankyou:

your welcome

Played Sunday with my Son (11), just he and I as a twosome, he shot a 108 from the Reds. Had a great time, I need to get him to relax and not get down on himself after a bad shot. He is interested in playing in a couple of tournaments so this was good practice. I need lessons and practice or it will not be long before he is putting it to me on the course.

Back