How good do you want to get?

Trout Bum

Regional Rival
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
How good do you want to get at golf and what are you doing g to get there?

Are your expectations realistic for what you're putting in to it?

I would like to get to a legit travelling index of 6. I'm not too far off right now (less than 3 strokes) and feel that it's realistic given the lack of practice I put in.

Sub-5 is unrealistic with how much I want to dedicate to it.

Single digit handicap is my goal, but long term I want to be a scratch golfer. I try to play twice a week minimum and have a net with a GC2 set up on my deck so I hit balls there when I cannot get out to the course. Also, I am going to take indoor lessons this winter and continue lessons through 2015.

Single-digit is my goal. I continue to take lessons, hit the range as much as I can (usually twice a week) and play as much as I can (usually once every two weeks).

I'd love to get to scratch, but I don't think that's a realistic possibility with a wife, kids and a demanding job.

I want to be as good as I can be. I have not put a number to it because I sort of feel that for me I will never know how good I can be. I'm constanly putting in work but its always something that needs to improved on.

I would like to eventually get to a single digit handicap. I've only been playing regularly for about 6 months. Plan on getting a few lessons over the winter and we'll see where it goes.

My goal is to have a handicap of no higher than 10. Realistically, that's probably still a few years away, and I'm OK with that. I don't have the ability to golf 2-3x per week right now, and probably won't for a little while. Right now, I'm in the 2-3 rounds per month range because my kids come first. I (hopefully) have many, many years of golf ahead of me and I'm viewing this as a marathon, not a sprint.

Since winter's just around the corner (yuck) I'll be doing a low of slow motion swings inside, some mirror work, and hopefully picking up an Orange Whip to work on tempo and transition.

I think I got real close to my ceiling this summer when I got down to 4.9. I would love to get down there again and stay in the 4's but it would be hard for me to fit in all the practice that it would take for me to maintain that level.

I would like to get back down in the 3 index range. I believe it would be realistic if I could stay on the course for a full year without having to take off extended periods of time due to injury.

single digits by 40. I've got three years to shave off 10 strokes.

I want to by 9.9

Where I started this year I thought it was feasible this year but I regressed despite putting in more lessons and range time than ever before.

So now in 2015 I need to get back to 11ish and then maybe in 2016 push to be sub 10

I started late in life & am finishing up my 3rd full season and just turned 50 ... so all I want is to scare 79 every time I play. On avg, that would be knocking 5-7 strokes off my current game ... it's going to involve tightening up approach shots & getting better at lag putting.

I am currently playing to a 3.8 ghin and I would like to get down to 0.
Is it a realistic expectation? I think so.
I am working on my game and putting in quite a bit of good work, so I think I can get there by the end of 2015.

this can be a hard question and I (like "scarnici" above) dont think I can put a number on it. All I really want to do is put a stop to the huge inconsistencies in most my rounds. There is always one part of the game that seems to not work. If its not one thing its another, Or everything works very well but except when it all falls apart just the same. No rhyme or reason or pattern or no one specific thing to be fixed except for the ability to stay more consistent, more often with the good.

I have mentioned in other threads and still I maintain the idea that we can all get as good as possible at doing something but then to be consistent at doing it good imo is a whole other thing. The ability to do something (perform tasks of any kind) very well imo does not mean we can all do them very well consistently. I think just about anyone can learn to hit golf balls and play golf fairly well, but its the ability to be consistent at it that separates us all.

so I just want to get as consistent with my "good golf" as I can be without putting a number on it.

I want to be as good as I can be. I have not put a number to it because I sort of feel that for me I will never know how good I can be. I'm constanly putting in work but its always something that needs to improved on.

Boom! Get as good as you can. No numbers and the sky is the limit

My current goal is single digit handicap. This year I was way too busy with life to have a chance of achieving that. Next year I hope that changes.

I want to keep improving, there is no set number or anything that I put a limit on. Even when I was practicing every day and playing in PGA Section events I had the same idea of getting better each day. There are always shots I could hit better, that is the beauty of this game, no limits on what you can accomplish and always something to improve.

I think if I put in some more work over the off season and play more I can get to consistently shooting sub 80. I don't have a handicap number in mind because if I just keep trying to play my best I don't know how low that number can go.

I asked myself this question last week, and it's something I need to get my head around. At this point, I either need to accept that given my level of practice I'm not going to get much better, or I need to start working harder if I want to get to my goals. Ideally, I'd like to be single digits, but need to figure out how to get there and whether it's feasible given my other priorities.

In all honesty, I want to have the ability and the mental mindset to shoot under par on any course I play, right now if I had a handicap index it would probably be somewhere around an 8. The last part of this year I have been consistently been shooting below 40 at most courses I play. I took a lesson and it really has me feeling that my game has unlimited potential. I'm only 21 right now and a live at home college student, but the Ohio winter kills my momentum and sometimes my swing but this past season as a whole my game has got more solid around the greens to make up for my poor ball striking.

My goal has always been to get back to where I was in college. Is it realistic, not right now. I think once both my boys are in school it will give me more time but family comes first. So for now my goal is any where around a 2.

I want to be able to go play any course anywhere and shoot in the 70's. I guess that means a travelling handicap of 5-6?

This year has been an eye opener for me. I thought I had reached my ceiling about 5-6 years ago but this summer everything came together and even with limited practice I am getting close to my college golf self again. I think you have to realize there are ways to play in terms of using your head and finding a couple of go to shots to get through rounds. I was just playing but now I lean more an strengths and continue to improve. With all that being said, I would love to challenge my all time low round and I feel I can do that if I stay on the path I am on.

I don't really have a steadfast goal anymore. I want to play better more than I want to play worse, but I'm comfortable in my own skin right now. My days of practicing 5 times a week are over for the immediate future so I don't expect to go busting PB's any time soon.

I need a goal to work towards, but haven't gotten around to setting any. Status quo is so easy right now, even though status quo includes me being a pretty average golfer.

Back