Ballooning the Callaways...just me?

willybilly

Reaction score
Handicap
Today, I played the toughest course of my life! 137 slope rating on it. Geez. I wanted to go home after eight holes...maybe it was after the first hole. Not sure. Anyway, I got new clubs about three weeks ago and am not sure about their performance.

I finally managed to get the Callaway X-20's! But after using them, I noticed that my yardages were way off. When I hit the ball, the thing seems to balloon way way up in the air. Previously, I had no idea what that meant. I thought maybe it would be a good thing to get the ball high in the air. Not anymore. The ball balloons way, way up there and comes down pretty fast after reaching its apex. The clubs are Uniflex shaft. Prior to this, I could hit an eight iron around 135-145 yard range. Now, I'm hitting an eight iron in the 120 range due to this. But I must say, I played on a really windy day and I'm sure that affected things in some way.

What do you think? Am I doing something wrong with my swing? I've read to steep or something may cause this issue. My instructor doesn't know about it yet.

It's really messing me up too! I can't get past 150 with my five iron and it's driving me crazy.

I hope that your results are based on the wind? I'd see what happens with little to no wind.

When playing into the wind I take a extra club or more then I choke down and swing 80% of my normal. This usually takes off some spin and lowers my flight.

Good luck!

I'd play without wind first and see if it continues.

If it does continue, I'd look into some low ball flight shafts.

congrats on the X-20's Willy! and be patience and like the others said try sans the wind and go from there. any new clubs take getting used to

Maybe check to see if your ball position needs to be adjusted to compensate for the behavior of the new irons

Id agree with the others in that you should wait until a day when its not quite so windy and see what happens. If the problem continues, you may need to look at different shafts. It could also be something as simple as the lofts of the X-20s being different than your old clubs.
Id definetly see what your distances are on a non-windy day before you do anything drastic though.

It's been so windy here. The scary thing is on the shaft, it reads "High Launch." That's not good. May have to live with it I guess. I had old Top Flites, then I had Ram ZX Tours. The Rams had an awesome ball flight. I was getting a lot more yardage. Honestly, I don't mind the high ball flight with the shorter irons; ball lands softly on the green. I just have to find out what the yardages are with them. But for the longer irons, I'm lost. I don't know if I'll be able to hit it longer than 150. The five shoots way up in the air.

I'll wait for a nice day and keep you posted. The clubs are awesome.

Were the irons fit for you? Shafts, length, lie angle, etc?

Posted from my BlackBerry using BerryBlab

No, JB, they weren't. It was my fault on that part. I was so excited to get Callaway clubs with the bore through hosel and all that, that I kind of got caught up in the excitement. I got them used from my buddy. They're standard. There is a pretty reasonable golf shop here that put an add in the paper the other day; he'd fix lie, angle, length and change all of the grips for 140. I was thinking about doing that. But reshafting will probably be outrageous. I've already told my wife that I'm going to be getting fit for my next set when it comes time.

plus, I'm getting lessons now and figured my swing is going to be changing on a weekly basis.

If you're not able to reshaft, try a low-launching ball like the Bridgestone e7. It's a great ball, and has brought my ball flight down a bit.

Ballooning the Callaways...just me?

bonknhead said:
If you're not able to reshaft, try a low-launching ball like the Bridgestone e7. It's a great ball, and has brought my ball flight down a bit.

That's a very good idea as well bonk

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

what course did you play?

Old Homestead Golf Course in New Tripoli, PA. http://www.oldehomesteadgolfclub.com. Pretty tough for me. My buddies wanted to shoot from the farthest tees possible, which I thought was "swell." My weakness is driving and hitting with a hybrid and three wood from fairway; I have no skill when it comes to four hundred yard holes, let alone 500+. So this course ate me alive. It was beautiful though. I'm gonna see if my instructor will give me a few lessons on hitting hybrids and fairway woods before I make the trip out there again.

Thanks Bonknhead and Thanks1974! Maybe I'll give those Bridgestones a try on my next outing!

that course looks nice. I'm going to have to check that one out.

that course looks nice. I'm going to have to check that one out.

Yeah, it's pretty sweet. It's only forty bucks if you go after twelve; that includes water, unlimited range balls, and a GPS. The food was awesome too. After the front nine, we had BLTs with coleslaw! Awesome!

thats a killer deal! It looks like it would be worth the drive.

Looks like a nice course. Love the "purchase your GHIN handicap" link on their web site. Next time you're out there ask them if they have a 3.6 they can sell me.

Back