Floppy I happen to agree with you and dont own and am not a fan of guns. However I see very little difference between this and playing cowboys and indians or cops and robbers that most did as a kid before we had different technology.

Floppy, we're just going to have to agree to disagree here. Why do companies spend $2 million dollars on a Super Bowl ad spot? Because they know that they can influence your behavior with visual images. Similarly, I strongly believe that pointing realistic-looking weapons at human targets and practicing shooing desensitizes you to the real thing.

I know that you see this activity as fun, and I'm raining on that parade. However, at a bit more than twice your age and an avid shooter who's very concerned with our ability to keep and bear arms over the long term, I strongly believe that this is teaching you and your friends the wrong things about firearms.

How is this different than cops and robbers or cowboys and indians when I was a kid in the 70s and 80s? It is still pointing a gun at people.

It's fine, I don't mind if you disagree, because this is a somewhat controversial topic...but...

These aren't firearms! Do you feel the same way about paintball?

How is this different than cops and robbers or cowboys and indians when I was a kid in the 70s and 80s? It is still pointing a gun at people.

No, you were pointing a finger at people, normally. My problem is with realistic guns being pointed at other human beings and firing a projectile - typically as realistic as possible with the removal of death or serious injury. Sorry, I don't see that as "fun" - I see that as trivializing something that I find a very serious matter.

I apologize. I was just taught that you don't point guns at other people. Even toy guns. If that makes me a bad person, I'm OK with that.

It's fine, I don't mind if you disagree, because this is a somewhat controversial topic...but...

These aren't firearms! Do you feel the same way about paintball?

Yes, I feel the same way about paintball. And you're right, they're not firearms, but every effort is made to make them as exactingly real as possible without actually firing a cartridge, right down to magazines, actions that work, etc. Under controlled circumstances, airsoft could potentially be a valuable training tool. The way it's used now, though - I just see it as desensitizing people towards bad behavior.

For what it's worth, I tend not to watch violence on TV for entertainment, either. Just nothing worth seeing there for me.

We had some pretty realistic toy guns in the '60s and '70s. I never used fingers.

Me neither Smallie.

I can tell you we had some hellacious bb gun wars as kids and none of the guys I ran with turned out to be murderers or armed robbers. We all own firearms and understand firearm safety.

I can tell you we had some hellacious bb gun wars as kids and none of the guys I ran with turned out to be murderers or armed robbers. We all own firearms and understand firearm safety.

And BB's hurt a hell lot more than airsoft bb's.

I used to play airsoft until the local site closed due the land owner selling up.

shame as it was great. Far beter than paintball in every respect

I once played, I got shot right between the eyes first shot. good thing I was wearing glasses.

I once played, I got shot right between the eyes first shot. good thing I was wearing glasses.

Try getting hit in the tooth by a high powered sniper rifle.

i almost bought a gumshield after that!!!!!:angry::at-wits-end:

No to paintball, airsoft or real BB's we trained with real guns with rubber or simunition rounds.....ouch....nothing like taking an AR-15 to the arm.

No to paintball, airsoft or real BB's we trained with real guns with rubber or simunition rounds.....ouch....nothing like taking an AR-15 to the arm.

by simunition i guess you mean simulation rubber bullets?

That is pretty hardcore. The British forces use blanks and laser technolgy for combat simulaton (shooting at other soldiers). Seems pretty stupid though, if one of them got you in the face you couldbe blind, etc... bit irresponsible if your government allows that imo!!!

Spoiler
btw....i hope this wont be the case, but dont say any rubbish about being the best forces in the world as a result. (my opinions on that are best kept with me) Shooting your own people to me seems VERY stupid and other countries armed forces are just as good or better without this. Hope this doesnt sound harsh or arrogant....i can just see a stereotyped response coming!:bashful:

I'm having a huge airsoft party tomorrow to celebrate the end of the school year, its the 3rd one I've had, it will be A LOT of fun!

by simunition i guess you mean simulation rubber bullets?

That is pretty hardcore. The British forces use blanks and laser technolgy for combat simulaton (shooting at other soldiers). Seems pretty stupid though, if one of them got you in the face you couldbe blind, etc... bit irresponsible if your government allows that imo!!!

Mmmm.....it was police training and we use goggles. It's not controlled or funded by the federal government, we are/were a small municipality but it's not uncommon to use these. Considering I have been in real life situations involving real firearms, it's necessary training. I may be putting my country down when I say this but here I'm in much more danger of being shot than your are in your country. The last time I did simunition training was 2 weeks after the Virginia tech shooting and we simulated that event at a local highschool.

Spoiler
btw....i hope this wont be the case, but dont say any rubbish about being the best forces in the world as a result. (my opinions on that are best kept with me) Shooting your own people to me seems VERY stupid and other countries armed forces are just as good or better without this. Hope this doesnt sound harsh or arrogant....i can just see a stereotyped response coming!:bashful:

As JB has said multiple times Paul politics have no place on a golf forum but I'd take US armed forces against any other any day of the week, there is a reason we are the hegemon. I can tell you our tough guys certainly don't use words like "rubbish" without being teased to death.

i used to play with 4 of my freinds. 1 of us did not have permission and the rest of us did. his mom found out. another friend quit because my other friends grandparents gave him a good gun with a 1000 bb mag and he decided to "try it out" and unloaded a full mag on the poor kid point blank and since the only guy left was a cheater and aimed for faces and was a you know what about it i quit

Back