Losing the spirit thanks to Steve

willybilly

Reaction score
Handicap
I'm really at a loss. Most of my friends don't like golf, which leaves me very few people to actually golf with. Fortunately, my best friend, Steve, golfs with me and likes it. However, I've recently run into a very frustrating problem with him. He's been giving up.

Yesterday, we went out and I had a pretty good day going. After about five holes, I was maybe one over. Steve was having a bad day scoring 9,5,5, and 6. Well, at the next hole, I had an awesome tee shot. Ball got pretty close to the green. Steve however, hit the ground with his iron couldn't get more than twenty yards on his shot. So, in a fit of anger, he took his nine iron and threw it thirty or so yards down the hill. The club went farther than the ball! He then took his push cart and pushed it down the hill by itself; the clubs and balls and every item in his golf bag came spilling out. Then he started yelling obscenities. Normally that wouldn't bother me, but he does it quite often. The last time we went out, he five putted. Then he took the ball out of the hole and hit it off the green with his putter with a full strength swing. And the whole time he complains and moans about how he's going to sell his clubs and never golf again.

Needless to say, his behavior affects my game in a negative way. As soon as his little tantrum ended, my scores went down hill. I was in no mood to golf anymore. He killed the spirit inside of me.

He thinks I'm cheating because I've been getting lessons. And I told him he could have had lessons too, but he chose to buy six hundred dollar irons, a 400 driver, a 200 three wood, and a 200 putter. Should have put money into lessons I think.

Anyway, I don't know what to do any longer. I like to go out with him because I'm not paired with strangers or anything. But on the other hand, it's not worth the aggravation of having to deal with him.

For me, I would play alone or with strangers until he got a better attitude. Have you ever had a chat with him about it?

I know I've done that with some friends and it's helped.

Sorry to hear that wb. Sounds like he's frustrated that you have improved and he hasn't. You can outgrow golf friends sometimes. Why not try to play solo and maybe you'll get paired with someone that you like to play with?

Oh, and hitting the ball off of the green is not cool in any way. I would not be playing with someone who did that.

From what I am reading I would do as others and part ways with this guy at least right now. Golf is a game you play aganst the course and the beauty of it is that you can play with others who are at various levels of ability. Getting pissed and tossing clubs and acting lke a general jackass is one thing but the thing that would of broke it for me is when he said you were cheating because you were doing better because you took lessons to imrpove yourself. Move on and look for others to golf with, see if Steve can figure out why you are not going out with him to play golf anymore. Maybe he will get the hint.

wow that sucks. There is no way I could play with someone who acted like that on the course. My one friend went through a period where he was just awful at golf. He would get upset and carry on but nowhere to the extent your buddy is flipping out. I tend to play to the level of who I'm with and when he would have tantrums it affected my game too. You need to tell Steve he is acting like an idiot and you refuse to play with him until he can learn to control his emotions on the course.

I'd say play by yourself or with strangers, some of my best rounds have been with guys I don't normally play with or if I get an early round out by myself. It bites that he has such a bad attitude, I can understand how it would start to bring you down too.

I would have a talk with him off the course. Mostly because this is terrible golf etiquette! If he can't control himself on the course you don't need to be playing with him... scratch that... he doesn't need to be on the course!

We all can get a little passionate on the course and bad days can bring out the worst, but throwing clubs and acting like a child is foolish.

WyBy: You'll have a better time being paired up with strangers, than with your best friend. Try it!

Last edited:
thats a major bummer... but why let him dictate your game... play with out him... strangers (most of the time) are pretty cool to be paired up with(most of the time)

Hitting off of a green like that would make me cringe......no way could I play with someone that would do that.

Yeah, that's what I thought. I'm gonna have to dump him as a golfing friend for a bit if he doesn't just change his attitude. For some reason, golf went to like a drinking/recreational thing that nobody took serious, to a full on competitive sport. When I'm out there, I don't get mad at anybody really. It's more of a game against the course than anything. I've tried to explain that to him, but he doesn't get it. He wants to beat me.

The worst part about him hitting the ball of the green was my dad was with us. My dad paid for our green fees and everything. It was supposed to be a nice time. Instead, my friend blew up and embarrassed me quite badly. My dad had his day ruined because of everything.

Oh, well, maybe he'll get a lesson or two down the road and learn about course behavior.

Oh, I live near Scranton, PA. If you ever hear about a guy who shot his best friend at the golf course, that's mostly likely gonna be me.

cant agree more with this statement. just a month ago I finally had enough with 2 pretty good friends and refuse to golf with them. now they wont talk to me but oh well

. You can outgrow golf friends sometimes. QUOTE]

I'm really at a loss. Most of my friends don't like golf, which leaves me very few people to actually golf with. Fortunately, my best friend, Steve, golfs with me and likes it. However, I've recently run into a very frustrating problem with him. He's been giving up.

Yesterday, we went out and I had a pretty good day going. After about five holes, I was maybe one over. Steve was having a bad day scoring 9,5,5, and 6. Well, at the next hole, I had an awesome tee shot. Ball got pretty close to the green. Steve however, hit the ground with his iron couldn't get more than twenty yards on his shot. So, in a fit of anger, he took his nine iron and threw it thirty or so yards down the hill. The club went farther than the ball! He then took his push cart and pushed it down the hill by itself; the clubs and balls and every item in his golf bag came spilling out. Then he started yelling obscenities. Normally that wouldn't bother me, but he does it quite often. The last time we went out, he five putted. Then he took the ball out of the hole and hit it off the green with his putter with a full strength swing. And the whole time he complains and moans about how he's going to sell his clubs and never golf again.

Needless to say, his behavior affects my game in a negative way. As soon as his little tantrum ended, my scores went down hill. I was in no mood to golf anymore. He killed the spirit inside of me.

He thinks I'm cheating because I've been getting lessons. And I told him he could have had lessons too, but he chose to buy six hundred dollar irons, a 400 driver, a 200 three wood, and a 200 putter. Should have put money into lessons I think.

Anyway, I don't know what to do any longer. I like to go out with him because I'm not paired with strangers or anything. But on the other hand, it's not worth the aggravation of having to deal with him.

Time for him to take up bowling. You have no other friend to golf with?

I say screw him Willy, and golf with your dad or like others have said just play alone or with strangers. its a great way to make new friends. golf is supposed to be fun!

That shouldn't prevent you from playing golf, get out there and its a great way to meet other golfers if you're on as a single. Unfortunately, none of my friends golf either, but I've got the BF to golf with. Its so weird, he's a total people person and he's met some friends that have been paired up with us. I, on the other hand, won't golf without him. He'll golf without me, no problem!

I would have to agree that its time for a new golfing buddy. Either get paired up a your home course or find a mens league or something to join and meet other folks through that.

the beautiful thing about playing golf is... all you need is your gear and someplace to hit a ball... friends are optional

The worst part about him hitting the ball of the green was my dad was with us. My dad paid for our green fees and everything. It was supposed to be a nice time. Instead, my friend blew up and embarrassed me quite badly. My dad had his day ruined because of everything.
That does make it worse, a lot worse! He clearly isn't the best golf friend, but with that I don't think he is a good friend either. Out of curiosity: How old is Steve?

I agree with most posters and you should just get paired up with someone else at the course. Having someone with that type of attitude is not good for your game or spirit. Many of my friends do not golf and I typically get paired with others at the course which is fine by me because I try to learn something from each person I play with.

How about joining a league? You don't need to have a friend drag your game down...

We have a hard enough time trying to keep our own heads above water, let alone dealing with someone else's bad games and attitudes.

In my experience of joining a new club last year, you only ever play with strangers for about two and a half holes - from then on, you're playing with first-name-terms, let-me-buy-you-a-beer mates...

great point andrewg

In my experience of joining a new club last year, you only ever play with strangers for about two and a half holes - from then on, you're playing with first-name-terms, let-me-buy-you-a-beer mates...

just play with yourself... i do... nothing wrong with it...
Spoiler
just dont let the hairy palms affect your swing

Back