NHL '09-'10 Season

I can't watch anymore :sad:

Posted from my BlackBerry using BerryBlab

yeah looks like its gonna be all tied up at 2-2

The refs got paid! They didn't call another penalty against the Flyers! Geeze!! Let's go Blackhawks!

Want some cheese with that whine GC?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Finally some calls against the Flyers late here, but this game has been even more ridiculous than the last with the lopsided calls.
I can't believe how every single player has been seemingly trained to use subtle picks, slashes, holds, etc to get the upper hand. And as long as they keep getting away with it, the worse it's gonna get.
It's sad that a team that plays like that even gets this close to a championship, let alone win it.

Oh, and say what you will about Carcillo, or Avery, or whoever, but Chris Pronger is the dirtiest player in hockey. I can't recall a single shift this series that he's played completely within the rules.

hold everything this is getting very interesting!

Oh, and say what you will about Carcillo, or Avery, or whoever, but Chris Pronger is the dirtiest player in hockey. I can't recall a single shift this series that he's played completely within the rules.

You can add Hartnell to that group as well!

what do you classify as playing within the rules?

great finish!

nope its over baby!

what do you classify as playing within the rules?
Simply defending someone 1-on-1 without using a free hand, hooking, slashing, or cross-checking would be good enough for me...

Typical Flyers fan :bad:

Because you know exactly what a 'typical Flyers fan' is? I assume you've spent a lot of time here in Phillg so I'd be curious to know what your first hand impressions are. Beyond what you've seen/heard from the media of course.

Agreed JL that he's not the cleanest player but the refs can't call everything otherwise the game would still be playing. Plus tell me a team that wouldn't want him? He's the classic 'i hate that guy but Id love him on my team' guy.

Agreed JL that he's not the cleanest player but the refs can't call everything otherwise the game would still be playing. Plus tell me a team that wouldn't want him? He's the classic 'i hate that guy but Id love him on my team' guy.

Very true, he's certainly a valuable teammate. He's very good at doing things nonchalantly, as to not get noticed by the refs. Which is fine, except when he is obvious with it he still gets away with it.

I guess it just bothers me that certain players get the benefit of the doubt just because of their reputation, and others (Avery, Matt Cooke, etc.) will get called for just looking at someone the wrong way.

ugh... what a depressing night.

If you have ever been a defenseman in a canadian hockey league, you would know that mostly what he does is within the limits of the rules.

Very true, he's certainly a valuable teammate. He's very good at doing things nonchalantly, as to not get noticed by the refs. Which is fine, except when he is obvious with it he still gets away with it.

I guess it just bothers me that certain players get the benefit of the doubt just because of their reputation, and others (Avery, Matt Cooke, etc.) will get called for just looking at someone the wrong way.

The rulebook has no exceptions for number of penalties allowed in a game. If players are obstructing in any way, they should be called for it. I can tell you, it's extremely easy to play a game without grabbing or hooking players on the other team. There should be no excuse for missed calls based on length of game, or intent.

They are willing to call broken stick slashes, but won't call cross checks to the back, or Gagne grabbing a guys stick and throwing it. This series has been reffed poorly at best, and that has allowed Philly to stay in it.

ok. Cross checks to the back, while infront of the net, are not penalties and should never be called so as penalties unless it is unreasonable, and has the intent to injure. Infront of the net is a battlezone. If byfuglien chooses to go there, then he chooses to take punishment. Same thing infront of the other net. If you played or play competitive hockey, you would know that. I know how easy the game is to play without grabbing or hooking. Broken stick slashes are penalties, because youre disabling someone from playing the game. Pronger isnt disabling someone from playing by battling infront of the net, byfuglien goes there, knowing he is going to take punishment.

I agree with the poor reffing in the series, but not in regards to pronger.

Go Hawks!

You may think that, but nowhere in the rulebook does it state "cross checking is allowed in front of the net". I will agree that pressing the stick against the opponents back and shoving is not a penalty, but he was not doing that. He was striking Buff, and striking him to the point where he fell over. That is absolutely a penalty in any league that actually follows the rulebook, and yes, I've played plenty of travel hockey and done my fair share of reffing. There is no excuse for reffing away from the rulebook. It is there as a guideline as how the game should be played, and if people are playing away from those guidelines, they should be penalized.

I get that your league's don't follow the rulebook tightly, and you may enjoy that type of hockey, but I don't care for it. It's like kicking your golf ball out of a bad lie or cleaning some dirt off it while in the middle of the fairway. It's against the rules, regardless of how much or how little you are modifying it.

Dang the Hawks are good!

Freakin crazy game!

turning out to be a great series so far

Chicago really showed their skill in this last game, but it also showed how bad the goaltending really is.

Back