What do you do in this situation?

Hacker Charlie

Reaction score
Handicap
D&D
This is something that seems to come up once a round for me atleast...

Lets say, you've put your approach shot a moderate length off the green (10-20 yards, pulled, pushed, to much club whatever) under some tree limbs in the rough, or rough between you and the green. The green is elevated from your position, but the tree limbs make it hard to hit any height on a shot. What would you do in this situation?

I have no clue what to even try, but typically I'll either run if off the other side of the green, or leave it short of the green one way or another.

This is something that seems to come up once a round for me atleast...

Lets say, you've put your approach shot a moderate length off the green (10-20 yards, pulled, pushed, to much club whatever) under some tree limbs in the rough, or rough between you and the green. The green is elevated from your position, but the tree limbs make it hard to hit any height on a shot. What would you do in this situation?

I have no clue what to even try, but typically I'll either run if off the other side of the green, or leave it short of the green one way or another.

Take my 56* niblick and hit a punch type of shot. It will usually take 1 hop and stop with that type of shot. Happens to me once a round atleast and since picking up the niblick, it is no longer an issue.

I'm going to try to punch it out under the limbs and onto the green. But what I'm really going to do is pop it into the air, hit the limbs and come down behind a tree.

I'm going to try to punch it out under the limbs and onto the green. But what I'm really going to do is pop it into the air, hit the limbs and come down behind a tree.

LMAO!

i would shut the face down on my 52*, keep it below the trees, land it in the last foot or so or rough and let it trickle on down towards the hole.

Aim for the limbs of the tree. I never hit what I am aiming for ;)

I used to take like a 6 iron and try and hammer it into the bank and hope it rolls onto the green to somewhere I can at least get a putt at it.

Whatever you do, if you can't hit the green, get it back in play so you don't cost yourself another stroke by trying to pull off a miracle shot. Take your medicine and move onto the next shot.

Take my 56* niblick and hit a punch type of shot. It will usually take 1 hop and stop with that type of shot. Happens to me once a round atleast and since picking up the niblick, it is no longer an issue.

What type ball are you playing to get this to happen? I typically play a low spin ball.

Yeah, thats me too. I hit the limbs, or catch it "too good" and put it off the other side of the green. Sometimes depending on the slope leading up to the green, I've tried to bang it into the slope to run it up that way. Honestly, thats probably worked as well as any other way for just getting it on the green or the fringe atleast.

Aim for the limbs of the tree. I never hit what I am aiming for ;)
I've told my wife to aim straight for a tree 20 yards in front of her and she missed the tree and hit an amazing shot!

Whatever you do, if you can't hit the green, get it back in play so you don't cost yourself another stroke by trying to pull off a miracle shot. Take your medicine and move onto the next shot.

Do you consider punching it out from under the limbs and off the other side "getting it back in play"? Cause I can sure do that! :laughing:

I'd hit a low running shot with my 5-iron and let it run up on the green.

What type ball are you playing to get this to happen? I typically play a low spin ball.

It can be done with any ball, but it is certainly easier with a urethane covered ball. But the niblick takes the guess work and deceleration aspect out of it with great weighting. Once someone is used to it, it will make shots like this much easier.

Depends on what is directly in line over the green on the other side and if I am shortsided to the hole, or if there is a long way to the hole. If I can't hit it high, I will hit it low and maybe try and hit it off the slope approaching the green with a 8 or 9 iron type club. Risky shot because if you don't hit the slope correctly, the ball will just roll over the green (hence the question about trouble past the hole). Or I will play the same shot a little softer and try and get lucky with it hit hitting on the green and stopping somehow.

Regardless of what I might play the goal is to salvage a bogey. I have put myself in a bad position, I will just try and save the big number. Even if that means intentionally chipping up to a good spot off the green to try and get up-and-down from there.

+1 sometimes you have to just suck it up...all boils down to risk/reward

I problely use a 7 iron back in my stance to keep it low and be disappointed.

I would hit a wedge into the bank pretty hard and hopefully let it hop up onto the green.

I dont have a Niblick yet so I usually will try and run it up there with a 5 or 6 iron about a quarter speed on the swing

Dang it JB, just when I get this niblick out of my head, there you go telling me another reason to get one...hehe

I would take my hybrid and make a putting stroke out of it.

I take my 52*, keep the hands well out in front of the club coming back down to the ball on impact.

Depending on where the hole is, I'll try to land it a good twenty feet or so from the hole and have it check up real nicely and have it roll towards the hole.

I don't know if JB remembers but I ran into a shot just like this at the outing. Ball sitting up but branches behind me so I wasn't able to take a full swing. I chose a 5 iron and was able to punch it to the side of the green still in the rough. JB suggested my 3 hybrid but decided against it since I thought I could maneuver the 5 better. What I should have done was a choked down 3H punch onto the green and with that forgiveness I probably would have either lipped the green or got it on the other side.

I don't know if JB remembers but I ran into a shot just like this at the outing. Ball sitting up but branches behind me so I wasn't able to take a full swing. I chose a 5 iron and was able to punch it to the side of the green still in the rough. JB suggested my 3 hybrid but decided against it since I thought I could maneuver the 5 better. What I should have done was a choked down 3H punch onto the green and with that forgiveness I probably would have either lipped the green or got it on the other side.

I was probably on the other side under those other trees when you had that shot Spank!

I was probably on the other side under those other trees when you had that shot Spank!

Nah, you were probably on the green waiting for my dumba$$ shot to fly to the other side of the green. :D

Back