Build a putting green!

I love our pool and like someone else said we can make that the water hazard. But the rest of the real stuff can go. We can clear out the plants, flowers, and trees and make a great practice facility. I can picture it already and it's beautiful.

I'm right behind you GG! :D

Wasnt it JB who was bugging you for a putting green not to long ago??? Now he doesn't want a BIGGER one?

Clam fist, do you ever have a problem with the sand underneath settling or shifting? How do you avoid this?

where the hell is gatlinburg?

It's in Tennesee Cat :eek:)... I thought Philadelphia was in Mississippi because KellyBo and I just got back from playing golf there at Dancing Rabbitt :golf2:

It's in Tennesee Cat :eek:)... I thought Philadelphia was in Mississippi because KellyBo and I just got back from playing golf there at Dancing Rabbitt :golf2:

wrong Philly...I'm in PA...home of the Flyers!

Clam,

My in-laws go to Gatlinburg almost once a year and I've been twice. I really like salt water aquariums so you can image I love the Ripley's Aquarium. Ice Skated at Ober Gatlinburg and of course walk up and down the main strip with all the museums and tourist spots.

But I will say, one time we stayed up way up the mountain and it was gorgeous up there.

GolferGal said:
I know! He should be excited about me wanting to turn our backyard into a practice facility.

You should construct a floating green from noodles, AstroTurf, and foam. That would be awesome chipping practice with shag balls!

But I will say, one time we stayed up way up the mountain and it was gorgeous up there.

It's terrible trying to get back up there after it gets dark though isn't it? We made the mistake of staying out too late one night and after about 9 p.m. it was almost impossible to get back to our cabin. The fog was ridiculous, and you literally couldn't see 2 feet in front of you. Talk about scary.

very very cool putting green clam fist

Clam fist, do you ever have a problem with the sand underneath settling or shifting? How do you avoid this?

No problems with the sand. The sand is in the areas to make undulations in the green. The sand is filtered so it is uniform in size. This keeps it from packing down. The base is paver base compressed tightly with a tamp. The green is layed on top and sand was poured on the green and swept into the fibers.

Wow, you're amazing. First you building a putting green then you paint your putter. What's next? :D

I don't know about all that clam.. the hillbilly mini-golf and strip malls can get pretty old after about the 3rd trip :D

On another note, if you're going to visit Gatlinburg, go during the fall and witness the leaves changing colors. Breathtaking.

Yeah let me put that on my calendar...

"Leave New England in Fall to go to Gatlinburg to see leaves change color". Oh wait... :act-up:

clam, what store do you own in downtown? i am pretty familiar with gatlinburg and am curious.

You said you found it on the Lowe's website? Would you mind posting that link please? Thanks.
I don't have the link but I googled Lowes putting green project. I think it will come up. It was one of their weekend projects for Father's Day or something. It was an old project of theirs. I had it saved on my old computer that I dropped on the floor and shattered the screen. I'll see if I can hook it up to the TV and get that site. I looked at it for over a year and had the directions basically memorized. I wish I would have taken some pics during the construction. It would have been neat to see the before and after.

lmfao! never would have guessed a guy named clam fist who brought us a tin of porch meat would own a store named monkey disco! :D

What kind of turf did you use? I want to make one and want it to roll pretty smooth.

What kind of turf did you use? I want to make one and want it to roll pretty smooth.

I bought it at the Home Depot. It was on a roll 12 ft wide, which I believe translates to 4 axe handles and a hogs head ( if you want to get all technical). If you top fill it with sand it rolls alright. If you got the extra cash, there is better stuff available online.

I wanted to give an update. I rolled a few this morning for the first time this year. The green has still looks brand new and has survived the winter with no damage. I just need to replace the flag due to sun damage. I am going to try to find a custom flag online.

That putting green looks like a copy of one of the holes at Gatlinburg's munny course. I've played there a few times and I can't remember which holes it is , a par 3 , but it has like 160 or so feet from the tee downhill to this little looking green. From the tee it looks like your green. You get to watch for a long time on a bad tee shot, knowing you missed the green. Nice job with your putting green

Back