NHL '09-'10 Season

agreed Icey. this whole series Niemi has looked horrible. It's amazing the Chicago is winning this series.
Chicago really showed their skill in this last game, but it also showed how bad the goaltending really is.

agreed Icey. this whole series Niemi has looked horrible. It's amazing the Chicago is winning this series.

I can't argue with that one bit, it goes to show you, with some defense, offense is really all that matters!!!

I honestly don't think any of the goalies in this series are playing any differently than they should be on a regular basis. Their hot streaks are over and they are showing what they really are.. mediocre goalies.

Hawks just need to win 1 more :clapp:

Anyone seeing those disrespectul Flyers fans? I do not like the Hawks at all, they knocked out my Canucks, but at least they are less obnoxious than the Philly fans...

this thing has got to go 7!

Anyone seeing those disrespectul Flyers fans? I do not like the Hawks at all, they knocked out my Canucks, but at least they are less obnoxious than the Philly fans...

My thoughts exactly :good:

Haha, your Canucks knocked out my Kings and I couldnt stand those Green guys.

Every fan base has a few bad eggs.. I don't think it's all that fair to tack it on to the entirety of the flyers fan nation.
Exactly.

You may think that, but nowhere in the rulebook does it state "cross checking is allowed in front of the net". I will agree that pressing the stick against the opponents back and shoving is not a penalty, but he was not doing that. He was striking Buff, and striking him to the point where he fell over. That is absolutely a penalty in any league that actually follows the rulebook, and yes, I've played plenty of travel hockey and done my fair share of reffing. There is no excuse for reffing away from the rulebook. It is there as a guideline as how the game should be played, and if people are playing away from those guidelines, they should be penalized.

I get that your league's don't follow the rulebook tightly, and you may enjoy that type of hockey, but I don't care for it. It's like kicking your golf ball out of a bad lie or cleaning some dirt off it while in the middle of the fairway. It's against the rules, regardless of how much or how little you are modifying it.

Pronger isn't my favorite player either but I'd rather see him in my sweater then the other teams but as far as in front of the net T21 is right. It is a little different in front of the net. Even though I was born in the states I played Jr A in Canada and was in the IHL years and years ago hardly even long enough to get a cup of coffee so I do talk from experience. Moving guys out of the front of the net with a cross check here or there is normal. What I can't believe is that goalies nowadays don't let their paddle do a little clean up in their office. I used to say if you want to screen me and sit in my office there is going to be a price of admission. My oldest son played up through Jr A and spent a few minutes in front of the net screening goalies and the treatment he received was just the same as Pronger dishes out, it's part of the game. Now again as I wrote before the Ref's IMHO have been a little brutal during the series but to be honest I don't think this is that great of a series from either team as well. It's been pretty sloppy all the way around but market share from what I've heard is good so that's what counts it's all about the money nowadays.

lefte, you can tell me you played hockey until you're blue in the face, but it doesn't negate the fact that it is against the rulebook to strike someone in the back with your stick. All I am saying, is that it SHOULD be a penalty, no more than the slash of the stick Buff handed Pronger shortly after it, based on what is written in the rulebook. When I reffed, I called the cross checks, not the shoves. There is more than one way to clear the front of the net.

And back to your other comment, again I wouldn't agree. He is 7 million on the cap, and he's worth (in my opinion) MAYBE a million total. He's slow, and has been known to be a liability defensively when the other team is moving the puck well. Just like last game, when he was a -5. He does have a solid shot on the powerplay, but I don't think his positives outweigh his negatives. I can think of 20+ players in the NHL I'd rather pay 7 million to have on my team.

Technically you are right the rule book backs you up but starting in Juniors it changes and gets looser the further up the chain you get. Also Pronger isn't by any chance the only one doing it. Living in Mason I bet you've caught a few Cyclone games bet you've seen it there as well. I know a few boys playing and to a man they say that Pronger is the hardest hitter in the league. As far as having him on my team that my point is that as a player I'd rather have him with me then against me. Look the Flyer's are playing crash hockey as they don't have the skill to hang with the Hawks and they are making the best of what they have.

I'm not arguing that it happens, I'm arguing that it should get called, because the rules stipulate it as a penalty.

It's no better or worse than slashing a stick. Both obstruct the other players ability to play their position.

Technically you are right the rule book backs you up but starting in Juniors it changes and gets looser the further up the chain you get. Also Pronger isn't by any chance the only one doing it. Living in Mason I bet you've caught a few Cyclone games bet you've seen it there as well. I know a few boys playing and to a man they say that Pronger is the hardest hitter in the league. As far as having him on my team that my point is that as a player I'd rather have him with me then against me. Look the Flyer's are playing crash hockey as they don't have the skill to hang with the Hawks and they are making the best of what they have.

Canadian hockey is completely different than american hockey. And Canadian hockey is ten times closer to american hockey then anything less than the AHL and Rebel leagues will ever be.

Bodybashing infront of the net is effective, so is a screen. It makes exciting hockey. The fact that you would call that everytime would ruin the flow and excitement in hockey.

Every team needs bashers and finesse players. And the refs need to understand that having a balance makes the league exciting. McCleary understnads that and lets the calls go.

Philly in 7!!!

Love your point about the goalies, LefTe.
I haven't played at nearly the level you have, but still, if someone parked their a$$ in front of my net, I made sure it wasn't easy for them.
That's another reason I love Fleury. Lots of blocker whacks to the head, and even the ol' "stick between the legs" tap from time to time (as you may remember from the playoffs last year).

Canadian hockey is completely different than american hockey. And Canadian hockey is ten times closer to american hockey then anything less than the AHL and Rebel leagues will ever be.

Bodybashing infront of the net is effective, so is a screen. It makes exciting hockey. The fact that you would call that everytime would ruin the flow and excitement in hockey.

Every team needs bashers and finesse players. And the refs need to understand that having a balance makes the league exciting. McCleary understnads that and lets the calls go.

There are a number of ways to get rid of the guy in front of the net.. Like wedging your stick up their back end and leaning forward, or as mentioned earlier, simply pressing on someone's back and shoving with the stick, which isn't a cross check. I'm all for activity in front, but not full on cross checks to the back.

There are more bad eggs in Philly sports stadiums than anywhere else. People in Chicago have been warned not to wear their Hawk stuff to Philly, not to use the bathrooms in the stadium. If I could afford the ticket and was goofy enough to wear Blackhawk stuff I would go to the game on Wednesday just to take a dump in the Philly Mens room and see how many punks would be stupid enough to mess with me. Which would be their final act of stupidity.

Fan is short for fanatic, not bully.

Every fan base has a few bad eggs.. I don't think it's all that fair to tack it on to the entirety of the flyers fan nation.

There are a number of ways to get rid of the guy in front of the net.. Like wedging your stick up their back end and leaning forward, or as mentioned earlier, simply pressing on someone's back and shoving with the stick, which isn't a cross check. I'm all for activity in front, but not full on cross checks to the back.

Its good in minor hockey, but not when its 230lb men infront. This is the NHL for christ sakes. Man up. Which is exactly what Byfuglien is doing. He isnt complaining, because he knows its a part of the game. Why are you complaining?

Its good in minor hockey, but not when its 230lb men infront. This is the NHL for christ sakes. Man up. Which is exactly what Byfuglien is doing. He isnt complaining, because he knows its a part of the game. Why are you complaining?

Who said I was complaining? I'm saying call the game as the rulebook states. If you enjoy it another way, that's fine, but don't chastise me for liking clean hockey. I get that hockey is a contact sport, but it's a contact sport that has a rulebook. Why do you have a problem with me liking clean hockey?

But thats what you dont get, in the NHL, thats considered clean. In many leagues thats considered clean. Any other tactic and byfuglien would stand there all day and get goal after goal after goal. The man is a silo. You dont move those beasts gently

There are more bad eggs in Philly sports stadiums than anywhere else. People in Chicago have been warned not to wear their Hawk stuff to Philly, not to use the bathrooms in the stadium. If I could afford the ticket and was goofy enough to wear Blackhawk stuff I would go to the game on Wednesday just to take a dump in the Philly Mens room and see how many punks would be stupid enough to mess with me. Which would be their final act of stupidity.

Fan is short for fanatic, not bully.
When I was 12, my dad took me to a PIT/PHI game in Philly on our way to vacation.
We were both wearing Penguins jerseys. The experience couldn't be any worse.
We had obscenities being shouted at us the entire time, which I wouldn't mind now, but come on, I was just a kid.
On top of that, On our way out of the arena after the game (a Pens win), I was spit on not once, but twice. From two different people.
And i was 12.

Now I'm sure there are plenty of squeaky clean Flyer fans out there, and I'm sure there's plenty of bad eggs in every other NHL city, but I've heard way too many horror stories like mine from Philly not to consider their fans the worst.

Back