ever get paired up with someone that was just freakin good?

bogey_russ

outside operations
Reaction score
Handicap
girs
so today i finally got a chance to play a round with a new coworker and it was an eye opener how much i suck compared to a "player"...
the course we played is 7100-7200 from the tips(where he played) and he made it seem like a pitch and putt...
one hole our teeboxes were literally 80 yrds apart and he bombed his drive past mine... and i put a really good swing on it...
i dont know if he was messing with me... but he'd ask if i could spot his ball from the teebox while he was hitting cuz he would literally lose sight of it...

plus it was really embarassing that i shot a 98 after 1/2 the ppl at work have been telling him i was a decent "player"

Try playing with the 3 Sligo guys! On a serious note, this happens just about every week at our local courses. There are just SOOO many good players down here.

Or the 1st time I played with Andy the THP Pro or GG's old coach that has the best swing I have ever seen.

so today i finally got a chance to play a round with a new coworker and it was an eye opener how much i suck compared to a "player"...
the course we played is 7100-7200 from the tips(where he played) and he made it seem like a pitch and putt...
one hole our teeboxes were literally 80 yrds apart and he bombed his drive past mine... and i put a really good swing on it...
i dont know if he was messing with me... but he'd ask if i could spot his ball from the teebox while he was hitting cuz he would literally lose sight of it...

plus it was really embarassing that i shot a 98 after 1/2 the ppl at work have been telling him i was a decent "player"

It must have been that Cowboy old Provisional was talking about?

Last edited:
It happens to me every time. I just try to have a good time and not slow them down too much.

Try playing with the 3 Sligo guys! On a serious note, this happens just about every week at our local courses. There are just SOOO many good players down here.

Or the 1st time I played with Andy the THP Pro or GG's old coach that has the best swing I have ever seen.

there were plenty of guys in san diego like that but the courses i played out there were geared towards "target" golf...
here the guys that claim to have game are playing the 6600 tees...
the guys ive seen playing the 7200 tees shouldnt even be playing them...
and the guys that can murder balls just dont have the accuracy to play 7200 so they hang back...

this guy made 7200 seem too short... and it wasnt that he was just a long baller... he was sticking stuff anywhere he wanted...

of course florida is the capital of golf so im sure there are tons of great players there...
but its still amazing to just play with someone that makes this game look effortless

Im used to practically everyone I ever play with being better than me. I just try to make the most out of every opportunity to try to learn from them. But it can definitely be frustrating at times!

of course florida is the capital of golf so im sure there are tons of great players there...
but its still amazing to just play with someone that makes this game look effortless

It sure is watching players like that. We have quite a few that make the game like that. I have played rounds with Andy the THP Pro before and think "yeah, he is playing okay" and then at about hole 14 you realize he is 4 under.

It sure is watching players like that. We have quite a few that make the game like that. I have played rounds with Andy the THP Pro before and think "yeah, he is playing okay" and then at about hole 14 you realize he is 4 under.

that's crazy. I have never played with anyone that was under par. BTW...you are too modest.

Im used to practically everyone I ever play with being better than me. I just try to make the most out of every opportunity to try to learn from them. But it can definitely be frustrating at times!

it wasnt necessarily frustration... more like... awe

that's crazy. I have never played with anyone that was under par.

yeah... this guy finished 2 under(and wasnt happy) he burned the edge off 1 eagle putt... bounced off the stick for another almost eagle and had a few birdies tries that shoulda went in...
if you ever get a chance to play with a great player... or even just watch one... dont pass it up

yeah... this guy finished 2 under(and wasnt happy) he burned the edge off 1 eagle putt... bounced off the stick for another almost eagle and had a few birdies tries that shoulda went in...
if you ever get a chance to play with a great player... or even just watch one... dont pass it up

I have played with a few guys that were low handicap and it just amazes me. And last year I had the opportunity to see a few pros up close and in person and that was just a seriously awe-inducing experience.

Got a buddy that plays tournament golf, consistently shoots under par, and luckily he doesn't have the "I'm too good" attitude. We went out on Saturday on a course we had never played before. He shoots a 66, I shoot an 85. I don't think I've ever been more okay with getting beat by 19 strokes; it was a good time and we were laughing the whole round.

Best round I ever saw, I got beat by about 20. When we got done, we didn't know what they guy had shot. We went back hole-by-hole (7000 yds) and he had hit every fw, 17 gir's..65 (-7). Par 72, Rating 72.8, Slope 132. AMAZING.

Another round I saw, a different guy shot 74 or 75 with a quad 8 and quintuple 9. +9 on 2 holes, -4 or -5 on the others.

This happens ALL THE TIME when the BF and I are paired up with another couple on a mediocre course (above a Par 3 but below a Par 72) usually those in between ones and its frustrating for me because even though I'm not a slow player, I'm not very good yet and I feel like I'm slowing down the good players (which then affects how I play). Usually we just tell them to play ahead and we'll catch up. We tell them ahead of time, before we even tee off, that we're new to golf and can't really hit it that far or consistent yet. I'd rather just play with the BF or with friends and don't really like being paired up on the course.

I havent had the honor yet but hope to one day. and hopefully they are patient and love to teach

My normal playing parter is like that. He has a swing speed of 120-125 and stikes it so well. He grew up caddying at Oakmont as a kid and has his game tight from top to bottom. I can't tell you how many times he'll miss a green and I think "now I've got him" and he chips it in. SOOOO many times. His putting is lights out and he can shap it both was at will.

Literally yesterday, I played one of my cleanest rounds in a long time, 4 birdies, and 2 bogies for a 69 and he shoots 67 to crush me. It was the easiest 67 you've ever seen. A bad round is 75+ for him.

It's great though as it really does bring you up if you don't let your ego get in the way. I know I'll never hit my 3w 300 or my 7i 200 or my LW 120, but trying to keep up is fun and it makes me a better player and I've dropped 5 strokes off my handicap in the 3 yrs we've been playing together.

Funny story, a new golf buddy who's been playing for 2 months says "In 5 years I will be as good as Damian(my "player" buddy)" and my other consistant golf buddy just starts laughing. 99% of us will never be close to how good he is but its fun trying to get there.

my mom grew up at temple terrace country club in florida. she played junior golf and one of her good friends growing up was gary koch, who's an analyst on tv now and he does still play in some senior tour events. every time we go down to visit the grandparents i play on the course there and was lucky enough to get to play with gary one time. it's ridiculous watching someone who plays golf for a living, golf. the guy hits everything like he wants to and if he didn't make a putt he's was damn close! i think he shot a 64 or a 65 and he made it look easy. i asked him if he ever got bored hitting fwys and girs, he had a chuckle and said that that's when the game really starts to get interesting, b/c then it's about shaping a shot into a particular pin placement, or then it's about really studying and understanding the undulations in the green. it was one of the best days i had on the golf course.

I played this weekend with a guy that had the course record in the 80's, he shot a 63. Nowdays he is still pretty good and I love to watch him swing. He had a bad day this weekend, shot a 79.

About 15 years ago my friend and I were about to tee off when an older guy came up and asked if he could join us, we said sure. We got to talking and we found out he played on the tour in the 60's and 70's. He was about 70 years old. He hit every fairway, not long, maybe 250, hit every green, and shot the smoothest -2 I have ever seen. It was effortless, and amazing to watch. He was about the nicest person you could ask to play with. He said he came close to winning a couple of times, but he had to play against Jack, Lee, etc. He had some good stories about the tour. I wish I could remember his name, it was one of the best rounds that I have enjoyed.

I played with a couple juniors in a match play in our leauge and we got whooped 3-0. These kids had massive draws, but they hit fairways and greens like nothing, they were always playing safe and when I played so agressive they made me look like a fool.

I played with a couple juniors in a match play in our leauge and we got whooped 3-0. These kids had massive draws, but they hit fairways and greens like nothing, they were always playing safe and when I played so agressive they made me look like a fool.

I helped coach a HS golf team this last season, and one of the teams they played against had a 16 yr old kid that played scratch golf. This kid had to be no more than 5'9" and all of 145 lbs, but he walloped the ball, and made chipping look like my 3 foot putts...

I helped coach a HS golf team this last season, and one of the teams they played against had a 16 yr old kid that played scratch golf. This kid had to be no more than 5'9" and all of 145 lbs, but he walloped the ball, and made chipping look like my 3 foot putts...

That is exactly identical to a one of the kids I played against. I was just amazed how he could chip the ball.

Best player I've played a round with was a 2hcp, so my frame of reference isn't too great. That said, I've watched a couple guys warm up when I was down in FL this spring that were unbelievable. Ball just looked and sounded different coming off the face of the club. Even a couple good 4hcp I've played with that had pretty mediocre short games, their ball striking was very solid. Guys like that usually started playing young and have a natural, efficient, swing that absolutely kills the ball yet looks effortless. Just when i think my game is getting to be "solid" I'll play with a guy like this and realize I may be able to put a good round together and one day shoot in the 70s, but I'll never be a "good" golfer like these guys.

One of my regular partners is a 2.2 HCP, and the shots he shapes and sticks at sucker pins are ridiculous. Plus, he is such a hoot to play with that the time flies by. And, he'll give very good swing tips so long as he is prodded to offer them - he doesn't like to interfere unless you ask him for advice. That is a great trait in and of itself.

I've never got paired up with someone 'really' good, but I have got paired up in a group with 3 pretty sorry people. No offense or anything to anyone, but it was SOOO slow. My coach had to go drive a cart out on the course and find us because we were at least 45 minutes behind. Half of the people on my team thought we got lost on the course or got bitten by a snake or something!

Back