Is Nathan Green lazy?

JB

Follow @THPGolf on Social Media
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
I just cannot wrap my head around this one.

http://sports.yahoo.com/golf/blog/d...s-he-d-rather-watch-soccer-th?urn=golf,246575

I'm sure a few of you reading this are big soccer fans. This Friday you'll be at work, knocking out a few reports and spreadsheets while the World Cup kicks off. You'll most likely be antsy, ready to get out of the office so you can be home for the weekend and catch some of the better matches.

Imagine you just decided that on Friday you weren't going to work. Instead of calling in sick, you email your boss, "You know sir, I'd rather watch soccer than be at work. Have a good weekend!"

You, sir, are Nathan Green, a PGA Tour player who won the Canadian Open a year ago. Green finished tied for 41st at last week's Memorial and was set to qualify for the U.S. Open on Monday, along with a week at the St. Jude Classic. Green bagged on both, telling a reporter that he'd rather watch soccer than play golf. Seriously.

“I’m really not that interested in playing it,” Green said. “I’d rather sit home on the couch and watch soccer than beat my head against a brick wall for four days.”

Ahh, the tough life of a millionaire professional golfer. You know, playing four rounds for a purse of $5.6 million probably wouldn't interest me either.

To be fair to Green, the beauty of professional golf is that you are your own independent contractor, and picking and choosing events is a courtesy you're allowed, but at least lie to us.

Green's comments landed two reactions, the first from a USGA official and the second from a professional caddie working the event.

"What’s so difficult about this? You play golf for a living, so play golf," he said.

And from a veteran PGA Tour caddie whose player was on hand, but in need of a blistering afternoon round to advance, there was this: "We talked about it this morning and couldn’t believe (the guys who didn’t show up). Let’s face it, it proves some of these guys make too much money."

Either way, don't expect too much of Green the next two weeks. He will be hanging out on his couch, hoping the Aussies can get out of Group D.

I don't get it. Was the point of the article to color him as a 'lazy millionaire' or someone who isn't committed to his 'craft' like the author thinks he should be?

this just pisses me off! i like the world cup and i know it only occurs every 4 years but this is ridiculous!

Wow. I understand being stoked about the futbol, but that is just crazy. That is like a girl telling a guy that they are ugly, their mom dresses them funny and they have something in their teeth instead of just saying no when they ask her on a date.

• Admin
I don't get it. Was the point of the article to color him as a 'lazy millionaire' or someone who isn't committed to his 'craft' like the author thinks he should be?

That is where I am stuck. I think he is implying that "back in the day" before money was bigger, something like this would have never happened.

• Admin
I guess I dont understand the point. Where is the author to attack Tiger or Phil for their lack of schedule? Sure they are already in the majors, but certainly money plays a role there as well. They dont need to play in all the events.

Yeah, I agree that this guy (a fringe player) should be trying to win this week at St Jude. But half of the players out there aren't playing.

But I think we need to remember, that as much as it's a "game" for us, or a hobby, for these guys it is their job. Day in and day out, they're refining, practicing, perfecting, etc. Those of us with day jobs, dream of an opportunity to hit the links all day, every day to practice, and compete, but sometimes you just get sick of what you do! Maybe his excuse was a little off, maybe he could have fibbed a little and said that he had a little injury, or his swing was off....How many times have you wanted to not go to work when you had to?

Really don't care one way or the other. If he played I wouldn't even know unless he was on the leaderboard. There are a ton of other guys that want to play anyway. At least he is not taking a spot from them. I have no problem with him not wanting to play.

I think his "bang his head against a wall" comment is useful in determining his mindset. It appears that he doesn't enjoy the tougher conditions that are typically present at the US Open. Perhaps he also knows that with such conditions, he is unlikely to contend. Finally, he isn't an American; maybe he just doesn't put too much emphasis on OUR open. While it would be my wish that everyone out there would give one of their toes in order to play in the US Open, that simply isn't the case. Oh well. No biggie. His 5 american fans will probably be dissapointed. I couldn't care less.

coydog13 said:
But I think we need to remember, that as much as it's a "game" for us, or a hobby, for these guys it is their job. Day in and day out, they're refining, practicing, perfecting, etc. Those of us with day jobs, dream of an opportunity to hit the links all day, every day to practice, and compete, but sometimes you just get sick of what you do! Maybe his excuse was a little off, maybe he could have fibbed a little and said that he had a little injury, or his swing was off....How many times have you wanted to not go to work when you had to?

This isn't him missing a day at the office (st judes). This is him missing the meeting with the prized account. Regardless of being Aussie or American- the US open is a major. It is something that could make/define your entire career.

This just blows my mind. I can't believe he would say that. Sure we all just want to stay at home and watch TV sometimes, but to actually go out and say it? And whiles he's at it give a big slap in the face to the game and the TOUR in general? Wow. No class, no class at all.

I wish I was in his position to choose when to work and when to stay at home... and still keep my job. I guess each person has their priorities.

I think that is how I see it as well. The guy travels the globe to play golf and I am sure it can be a grind. Should he have been more politically correct in his words... I suppose so. But got to love a guy who is honest about how he wants to spend his time off. Perhaps he didn't feel like going through the grind of trying to qualify/compete. His choice, not like I'll miss him watching this weekend!

that's all well and good but that's an apples and oranges comparison. today's life, game, etc is completely different from the days of yesteryear. the author could've gone a completely different angle to make his point
That is where I am stuck. I think he is implying that "back in the day" before money was bigger, something like this would have never happened.

that's all well and good but that's an apples and oranges comparison. today's life, game, etc is completely different from the days of yesteryear. the author could've gone a completely different angle to make his point

Agreed. How is this different than other athletes. Guys skip events all the time. 18 WD's already at St Jude this week alone.

Further proof that us Americans are missing the boat on football (aka soccer). GO USA Beat the hell out of Australia at least. so we can all enjoy Nathans blistering Play soon.

Doesn't bother me in the slightest...

Thats disgusting, to have an opportunity like this and just piss it away? Who is he? John Daly?

Who cares? He doesnt bring fans to the course. Im glad hes giving another, possibly a young phenom, a spot in the upcoming tournaments that hes missing

Back