Golf Chick

Golf Fashionista
Reaction score
Handicap
Decreasing
If you got starter sets, how long until you switched to a regular set where you were fitted for them? I'm curious as to what everyone has done. I've been playing with my current set for about a year, but they're a starter set and we all know I'll be at this for a very long time (golf, that is :D) and maybe its time to invest in a set that will last me maybe 3-5 years? There's nothing wrong with my set, I'm just wondering if I should get some new ones that are maybe more forgiving and graduate my current set. :confused2:

If you got starter sets, how long until you switched to a regular set where you were fitted for them? I'm curious as to what everyone has done. I've been playing with my current set for about a year, but they're a starter set and we all know I'll be at this for a very long time (golf, that is :D) and maybe its time to invest in a set that will last me maybe 3-5 years? There's nothing wrong with my set, I'm just wondering if I should get some new ones that are maybe more forgiving and graduate my current set. :confused2:

Well, I got a junior set when I was ten, and used it for 2 years. I then got a starter set of dunlops, of wich only the bag I still use. I am now using a set of Powerbilts from the early 90's. I wont be getting my first fitted set of irons till christmas, so... 6 years. I dont recommend waiting that long. I feel like my current Irons are holding back my game, and cant wait to upgrade

When your ball striking is consistent. You are playing regular courses and are hitting the same shots consistently.

I waited 7 years. Only 1 of those years I was really serious about my game. Now I found more time and money so I went ahead with fitted irons and I couldn't be happier.

I just got my first "real" set of irons last week. I started playing about 3 years ago but havn't gotten serious about improving my game until this year. I had used various component sets and old outdated stuff. I figured I would not buy anything too expensive until I felt I was ready. I'm not sure if that has been good or bad in my progression...

I played for 1 month when i bought my Wilson Di9 irons, I played them for maybe 4-5 months before I bought my Cleveland CG7 BP Tours.

Do i regret switching more of a 'players' iron so fast. NOPE

When your ball striking is consistent. You are playing regular courses and are hitting the same shots consistently.

I think this is important.... if your swing is still changing a lot (hopefully for the better) then getting fitted for a long term set may not be so long term, as fitting is so closely tied to your swing (lie angle of clubhead, shaft flex, etc).

If you are grooving a swing you are happy with at this point, then I would consider it. If you're still working on swing fundamentals, I would wait until you are swinging more consistently.

And if you are working with a pro, I would ask the pro if you are ready. They will definitely have a good idea if a new set would benefit you right now.

I think this is important.... if your swing is still changing a lot (hopefully for the better) then getting fitted for a long term set may not be so long term, as fitting is so closely tied to your swing (lie angle of clubhead, shaft flex, etc).

If you are grooving a swing you are happy with at this point, then I would consider it. If you're still working on swing fundamentals, I would wait until you are swinging more consistently.

And if you are working with a pro, I would ask the pro if you are ready. They will definitely have a good idea if a new set would benefit you right now.

GREAT point! I got serious about my game this past year and found myself going through 4 sets of irons thinking each set was the key to unlocking my game. IN reality, it was my swing that needed changing, not the clubs -----

Don't buy a new set until you have a consistent swing worked out that you know you will stay with for the long term...... it took one year for me (I worked my butt off), but it can take several years depending on how hard you're working. You will know when you've nailed down your swing.

I respect the comments all the others have made but tossing my $.02 in the discusion I migt suggest looking for an older model of a "better" set than you have GC. Maybe a set of ladies Adams or Taylormade or another ( golfergal can help with other options) that are 2-3 yrs old but in good condition. I agree you should be at a certan level if you are going to go through the trouble of being fitted and you ( nor I ) are at that level right now but there is no reason you cant look to imrove what you have.

I am not really qualified to give advice on play, but I noticed that after I bought my first "nice club" my game started changing for the better. I think I just appreciated the idea of having a quality tool. They say the game is mostly mental. I am sure my starter set is still good enough for my pathetic game, but that nice new set of Nickents were just delivered to my door Monday and it sure makes me long to play regularly again. If you think your desire will increase get some fitting advice and get a new set.

I played a started full starter set for one season. My second season I upgraded driver, 3 wood, wedges, and putter. This season I replaced driver, 3 wood, putter (twice) and purchased my irons. I believe you should be hitting the ball relatively consistent before upgrading, unless you are going the SGI route. I couldn't be happier with all of my purchases, and even though my swing is all out of whack I still have confidence in my equipment.

Back