TaylorMade R9 460 Driver?

Harry Longshanks

ILikeBigPutts&ICannotLie
Reaction score
I was recently looking at the specs for all the new 2009 drivers and I noticed that the current R9 driver is 430cc instead of 460cc. I was curious if the reduced size was a result of the design (i.e., a 460cc version would violate the USGA limits on COR or MOI or something), so I did some surfing.

On another site, there was speculation about whether TaylorMade would be releasing a 460cc version. Some posters suggested that they knew a 460cc version would be released this year. But we all know the reliability of random internet ramblings. So . . .

Does anyone here know if TaylorMade is planning a 460cc R9 and, if so, how soon it will be released and when it will hit the demo day circuit?

Thanks.

I was recently looking at the specs for all the new 2009 drivers and I noticed that the current R9 driver is 430cc instead of 460cc. I was curious if the reduced size was a result of the design (i.e., a 460cc version would violate the USGA limits on COR or MOI or something), so I did some surfing.

On another site, there was speculation about whether TaylorMade would be releasing a 460cc version. Some posters suggested that they knew a 460cc version would be released this year. But we all know the reliability of random internet ramblings. So . . .

Does anyone here know if TaylorMade is planning a 460cc R9 and, if so, how soon it will be released and when it will hit the demo day circuit?

Thanks.

I heard from someone, who heard from a TMade employee, that they will be releasing the 460cc version in August of this year.

I concur with Alex, I can confirm that at the Taylormade representative meeting at my local Golfsmith they did indeed tell the retailer to prepare for another incarnation of the R9 in early to mid August and that it would be 460cc. Typical. Retailers are not happy.

The R9 460 will be made and will be out before August according to my ninja spies. It will have FCT but will not have adjustable weighting.

The R9 460 will be made and will be out before August according to my ninja spies. It will have FCT but will not have adjustable weighting.

Interesting, no adjustable weighting. I would have thought they would keep that after that What's in the Bag TaylorMade on TGC.

According to my source, the adjustable weighting was a problem with the 460 head and that is why they went with the smaller one first.

According to my source, the adjustable weighting was a problem with the 460 head and that is why they went with the smaller one first.

Oh okay. Well thanks again for the info JB! It's amazing the things you do, this is the best Forum on the net! :clapp:

I'm currently playing the r9 460 driver with a Fujikara Motore shaft. Has anyone else playing this driver experienced difficulty controlling it? I'm hitting the ball further than I was with my 2009 Burner, but I feel like it takes more effort to control it. I'm just not sure if it's the fact I'm not playing as often this spring or if others have noticed it's not as easy to control.

I'm currently playing the r9 460 driver with a Fujikara Motore shaft. Has anyone else playing this driver experienced difficulty controlling it? I'm hitting the ball further than I was with my 2009 Burner, but I feel like it takes more effort to control it. I'm just not sure if it's the fact I'm not playing as often this spring or if others have noticed it's not as easy to control.

Rads
I still use the r9 460. I Launch it a mile but was all over the place at first. The shaft was a full 1.25 inches longer and overall it's a lot lighter than my old driver. Try Slowing everything down a bit. I found with a such a light club I was taking it back really fast and I completly lost the slight pause in the top of my swing. Plus with the longer shaft i felt I really needed the pause to get my self together for the downswing. SLOW AND SMOOTH, the r9 460's got plenty of distance all you got to do is worry about smooth solid contact.

Back