Trying To Break 90 Club

Well friday I had a 95, 49 on the front with 19 putts and 46 on the back with 17 putts, sunday blew up on the front with a 55 and 20 putts, on the back I settled down and had a 45 and 18 putts so an even 100, looks like I am temp out of the club again, got my fiancee so mad at me sunday that she stated that if I don't stop "pressing to break 90" that she will stop golfing with me this year, she stated right now "until you improve your putting you will always shoot in the 90 to 100 range and that i just should play my own game and to stop worrying about everyone else" and besides she stated that she doesn't know anyone with with cerebral palsy who can shoot better than most people she knows with 2 good legs. OOPS better shut up and just play and enjoy the rest of the season there is a lot left :foot-in-mouth: LOL.

Last edited:
Oh, what does she know, JC? LOL

great stuff everyone, have takin a few weekends off from golf to clear my mind. been playing like crap lately. but I'm ready to get back out there give it another run!

welcome back Sunday! Get on back out there and tee it and hit them straight.

maybe just a little smalls she has been golfing 22 years to my 5 I have caught up to her though.

thanks Keith, I have a few vouchers from a website I belong to so I'm gonna check out some new courses over the next few weeks. probably go as a single during the week hopefully early in the day and see if I can get paired up with some cool older guys.

Hey, good luck to everyone following this thread. I've been where you are, and although these days I'm usually around 82-85 I STILL sneak up above 90 now and again (stupid game!)

My only advice is to practice putting intelligently. Don't practice holing the 30 footers - practice holing the 6-8 footers!

Awesome man!!!!!!!!
great stuff everyone, have takin a few weekends off from golf to clear my mind. been playing like crap lately. but I'm ready to get back out there give it another run!

Well I'd say normally today was nothing special about my round of 97, 50 on the front 17 putts, 47 on the back with 17 putts, only 6 bogeys all the rest doubles the thing that was interesting today was I duffed 11 tee shots from not lining the 3 iron off my front foot, or half swinging the 3 and 4. I have to fix this fast, go figure my 2nd and 3rd shots saved my rear end today, this Sunday I hopefully will have a better result off the tees.

Well I'd Better go back to trying to break 100 club !! had a horrible round of 106 54 on front 20 putts 1 3 putt 52 on the back with 23 putts 6 3 putts, today 6/19. I counted all the 3 putts on all my cards this year and If I eliminated all the 3 putts instead of breaking 100 7 x this year so far I would have broken 100 14x the good news is there is still 4 months of the golf season left to completely eliminate 3 putting, that is my goal for the rest of this year. :angry::banghead:

Last edited:
I played today. My previous best was a 91 and today I shot a 90! Man, so close but no cigar.

Shot a 43 on the front 9 and a 47 on the back. Of course there are several things you could always do differently but overall, I played the best I've ever played. Putted great. Chipped in once. But the hole I lost my breaking 90 on was a par 5. I pulled my drive left, across the street left, and had to take a penalty and hit another one off the tee. Ended up with a 9! If I just make a snowman on that hole I shoot 89!

Oh well. Here's to next time.

Still trying for this year but good thing is I've stayed in the 90s. Yesterday shot 49/47 on a new course (for me) and kept every drive in the fairway or first cut & that kept the blow-up snowman holes down to one. Big problem was lipping out birdie & par putts all weekend. Played smart by getting to the 100-125 area where my approach shots were spot on.

Well... I did break 90 only played 9 holes... It was a struggle y'day... poor contact with every club... I wore my daily glasses instead of my prescription sunglasses. They are no-line bifocals, I woke up this morning thinking that may have been a problem...

Actually had a 6 footer to end the round with 3 consecutive pars... Missed it, downhill, stopped 4" short... The par-par-bogey finish was'nt nearly as optimistic as the scorecard seemed as I bladed a wedge & 8-iron on 7 & 8 with very fortunate results. Hit my best shot of the round on 9 fading a drive thru two big trees to split a very narrow fairway...a short chip came up shorter, rolled on a 7 iron and missed the par put... 49 on an easy course...Booo!

My best before was an 89
but saturday i shot 84 at The golf club of Glen Ivy.
Finally broke out and was able to put it together.

My best before was an 89
but saturday i shot 84 at The golf club of Glen Ivy.
Finally broke out and was able to put it together.

Nice round Wicket! Thats my low for the year too.

nice round wicketmike!

Usually shoot low 80's, but on Sat morning I had a real bad first 11 holes. Shot 48 on the front and then started the back 9 with back to back double bogey's. Shooting and 89 beacame my goal for the rest of the day. I ended up Paring 12, Bogeying 13, and then shot par on every hole after. Including a nice up and down from the rough on 18.

nice round Wicket!

Teed off early at 6am this morning playing with someone I had played with one time before. At that time, you do not need a tee time and anyone can play before 8am. I shot a 44 on the front nine and a 43 on the back 9, for a total of 87. Felt really good to finally break 90. This is the one goal I set for myself this year. I probably putted the best I ever have and that is the reason I broke 90. Thanks for everyone for all the tips. They certainly help.

Congrats Tander. Great shooting; especially the putting. I know you must have felt good reaching the goal you set for this year.

Congrats Tander. Great shooting; especially the putting. I know you must have felt good reaching the goal you set for this year.

Thanks SMG, I was begining to think that I wasn't going to get there. Now the hard part is staying in the 80's.

Arrived at the course for 6:30 am tee time. Was paired with a couple of pretty good dudes. All three of us were walking and after last week fiasco I was really looking forward to just walking and getting into a good rythmn. Pulled the new Diablo driver out in the Par 5 520 yard first hole and made pure contact with the club. Was using the Bridgestone 330RX ball today. Must have been aimed left because the ball flight was straight as an arrow. Was good distance off the fairway but had a great line back into it. Hit a great shot with the G15 Hybrid and put me about 135 out. Nice 7 iron up to back fringe of green near flag. You know...right distance wrong direction. Good chip and one-putt for satisfying Par.

Played some really good shots and tried not to over swing on any of the shots. I played a lot of bogey golf on the front. The putter was just ok today. Nothing spectacular. My G15 hybrids, mid and short irons were keeping me in the short stuff all day. Had 3 one putts on the front nine but that was mainly because chipping was good today. However, I also had 2 three-putts which I did not like. Hole #9 I absolutely played to perfection. It is a 480 yard par 5 that is severely uphill. Teed off with the Diablo. followed up with two G15 hybrid shots which put me on in GIR. The hole was placed in a spot that was severly sloping andof course I was above the hole. Tried to ease the ball with a putt, missed the hole and it rolled a ways. I ended up three-putting that one. Overall I was very pleased with the front and I shot a 43.

The back nine was pretty good as well. On ehoe of note was the Par4 #14 which is 330 yards from my tees. I used my 20* G15 hybrid off the tee because it is dog leg left and goes up hill. I have never hit the 20* as far as I did this time. It was pure and I ended up 110 yards for my second shot. I was shocked at the distnace and roll on that shot. Doing the math, that ball traveled 220 yards whic for me is fantastic. With the severe incline to the green I opted for a PW and put it within 12 feet and two putter for par. My nemisis hole is #17, 502 yard par 5 which normally gives me the blues because I always hit driver and put the ball far right in the water. Today, since I was hitting the hybrid so well I said nothing but a hybrid off the tee to make sure I can control the shot better and end up in the fairway. 20 degree again; flush and nearly 200 yard drive, two more 27* hybrid shots and I was putting for par which I made. Shot a 45 on the back for an outstanding 88 for the day. I have broken 90 twice this season. I am pretty stoked about that.

Overall: I felt great stepping up the tee with that Diablo Edge Driver in my hand. One guy gave me what I thought was a good compliment when he said it didnt even look like I was swinging the driver that fast/hard and the distance I was still putting the ball out there. Hitting that driver in the sweet spot is a great feeling and distance is phenomenal. The other comment I want to make is about these G15 Hybrids and irons. The more I play with these the better they respond. I think I am getting used to them and will say that concentrating on my swing and finally becoming realistic with how far I actually hit each club has made a world of difference. I used to say/think I hit a 6 iron 155-160. I actually hit it about 145-150. It may not be that far but I will take knowing rather than hoping a shot will go a certain distance anyday. SO knowing that has helped me put my ego in check and really no one (playing partners) really knows or even cares what club you use to hit a 150 yard shot. Hitting the good shot regardless of the club is one of the keys to better golf. My journey continues.

Just my thoughts for today.

SeeMoreGuy

Thanks Bridges. It felt good doing it twice. Guess I will try a three-peat.

Back