2014 Callaway Big Bertha Irons Review Thread

So, there's a pretty big difference in sound/feel compared to the XR's? It seems like thoughts have been leaning that way, which is a good thing.

that's good, at least to me. The sound of these just turned me off. I'm sure I could get used to it, but in a day when I am outside hitting 5 or 6 irons, the one that sounds funky probably gets left behind. Same goes for the Vapor Speeds.

So, there's a pretty big difference in sound/feel compared to the XR's? It seems like thoughts have been leaning that way, which is a good thing.

More of a hollowness to them than the XR's, naturally. The XR's though are also on the clicky/more-firm side, no dense sound there.

They sound to me like Altitudes and most hybrids.

I was going back and forth hitting an alt yesterday and one of these for a bit on the range and there was a definite difference for me, the Alt's seemed a lot more muted. But we all have different ears for sure.

that's good, at least to me. The sound of these just turned me off. I'm sure I could get used to it, but in a day when I am outside hitting 5 or 6 irons, the one that sounds funky probably gets left behind. Same goes for the Vapor Speeds.

Its just, different, ya know? Not my cup of tea. But, performance does exactly what they claim, high and long, gotta dig that.

Its just, different, ya know? Not my cup of tea. But, performance does exactly what they claim, high and long, gotta dig that.

agree. Performance is there. They certainly launch the ball with no problem.

I am a fan of the Bertha's and did not care so much for the XR's when I hit them in Cali. Need to take them for a spin again however. Nice to hear they are going the same distance but how punishing were the mis-hits compared to the Bertha's?

I am a fan of the Bertha's and did not care so much for the XR's when I hit them in Cali. Need to take them for a spin again however. Nice to hear they are going the same distance but how punishing were the mis-hits compared to the Bertha's?

By design they're going to be more forgiving just based on mass and weighting alone, I'll say the gap wasn't as wide as I anticipated though, but its definitely there.

They're fun irons performance wise in terms of doing what they are supposed to, but for me I prefer the XR's by a good bit, and the XR Pro's even more, to the Bertha's, but that is PURELY a personal preference on profile. I accept there is a dropoff in forgiveness with them completely, but not seeing the distance dropoff is what's really cemented my choice of the three (Cookie got to see my 150 yard PW's hahaha). Love the options the three irons provide though for people, then add in the Apex/Apex-Pro? Even better.

Anyone gaming these. Don't see a lot of talk in this thread anymore

Still playing mine every few rounds. I know quite a few had them from #TheGrandaddy.

Got mine out today on the range and hit them head to head against the D200's and AMP Cell's. These were the winner for me by a huge margin. Best distance and accuracy of the group. I was all over the face yet I lost hardly any distance at all when I didn't catch the center. Ball flight was very high yet still penetrating and landed soft which is exactly what I am looking for.

Loving these clubs. They make my so comfortable just taking an easy swing. In 30+ temps I am hitting the ball as far as I was with my previous set during the middle of summer. I would expect to see some real nice jumps when it warms up.

Bought a set yesterday. Can't wait to get them!

Bought a set of these the day they came out and haven't looked back since. Very forgiving irons, easy to hit, and great distance (except PW, hits good, just not getting what I would expect). Other than that, they are a great set of irons.

I bet these hit better of real turf compared to simulator mats. Is it me or does the recoil in F3 play stiffer than your average regular flex?

I have no issues hitting these from the turf. F4's play true to flex for me. I am loving these irons. Especially on the par 3's as I am hitting more greens than I was previous.

I have no issues hitting these from the turf. F4's play true to flex for me. I am loving these irons. Especially on the par 3's as I am hitting more greens than I was previous.

Yes the f4 I hit played true to flex I think.

Finally looking like I will get my Berthas out on my home course for the first time this weekend. Have played a handful of rounds at other courses and on simulators as well as a few range sessions and so far love the performance, but getting them on a course where I know all the distances and expected results like the back of my hand will be the truest test of any increased performance.

No matter how it goes, still just so glad that golf season has finally arrived in the Northeast.

I finally got my clubs yesterday: 3H, 4H, 5 to PW, all with stiff F4 shafts and two extra wraps under the grip. This is how I was fitted about a month ago.

I spend about two hours on the range today and then another hour and a half at my local GolfTec using launch monitor. The clubs are very forgiving and I do hit them well. I am also using my two month old MD2 wedges: 54 an 58 degrees

Here are the results: (average of 5 to 8 shots each club, severe mishits were ignored) I used Ranger iPhone app to estimate range distance (that is why it is not a single number), Monitor numbers are average carry distance, I ignored the roll with was about 5 to 10 yards extra.

ClubRangeGolfTec Monitor
58W50+-65
54W60-6586
PWabout 100118
9i110-115110
8i125-130130
7iabout 150150
6iabout 160145
5i160-170155
4H175-180175
3Habout 200190

My conclusions: I need to work on my 6i and 5i or just not use them since 7i is 150 and 4H is 175. I hit 7i an 3H the best: most consist and very straight. I think I can increase my distance by at least 10 yards: I was trying to deliberately slow down my swing to get more consistent results. As my swing improves, my distance should increase.

Here are my questions:

1. Why are my wedges significantly longer on the monitor compared to the range?

2. I need a 220 yard club and a 250 club (driver or 3W) I also tried to hit my current woods (3w and 5w Big Bertha Warbird circa 1995) and I was a lot less consistent and a lot shorter than my new 4H and 5H. I randomly tried several 3w and drivers (BB, Xr, Ping,) and non of them were longer than my new 3H. Any suggestions.

Thanks,
VP

I think the AW in this set is one of my favorite clubs out right now. I find myself chipping with it in spots, hitting it and saying "#TheGrandaddy" at contact to myself and just no matter where on the face I hit it, it goes high and straight.

I think the AW in this set is one of my favorite clubs out right now. I find myself chipping with it in spots, hitting it and saying "#TheGrandaddy" at contact to myself and just no matter where on the face I hit it, it goes high and straight.

I really need to pick up an AW as it think it would help my game quite a bit.

You can test mine out next week.

Sounds good. I can see that and a couple of PM grinds eventually replacing the Mack Daddy's.

Hit these yesterday and loved the confidence swinging the 4 and 5 irons(which I normally struggle with). The longer irons seem to work well with a nice smooth swing... no distance lost without swinging out of my shoes. I really would need to get the aw as I almost exclusively use that as my full swing 100 yard club... although there was not one available for me to test yardage on.
The only drawback I'm seeing on these is the price, I've never spent $1000 on a set... will have to do some serious pondering and price checking online. I hate buying irons online as I would prefer to get a proper fitting at time of purchase. Going to go see if I can take a 5 and 9 out for a few rounds before I pull the trigger.

THP will be in your state next weekend for Live Driver Testing and I will have my set there. If you make it out, you can test mine.

Anyone still gaming these?

Anyone still gaming these?

A bunch of the folks at the Granddaddy were fit for these (JB, Howzat, Michigan Slice come to mind), and as far as I know they're all still playing them.

Back