TM Penta durability issues?

sacul1573

What's a GIR?
Reaction score
Handicap
Since the lastest box of TM Pentas, I've been having durability issues. Scuffing is common, but cutting the cover is happening alot. Today I had two different distinct cut marks on the ball by hole 8, to the point that the cover was peeling back a little bit. My playing partner uses Pentas as well, and he noticed it on his last batch as well.

Anyone else experiencing this?

Ive never cut a ball before, but first or second wedge shots i scuffed them. I went thru a sleeve in 8 holes

Ive noticed this as well and its one of the reasons I dont play the Pentas. They cost too much to have them tear up so easily and fast.

I haven't seen any durability issues with this ball.I find it to be the most ball durable I've ever played

i shook the 8 ball and this is what it said....

Lol, from a guy with all TM in his signature!

Here's pictures... it was retired after hole 9. My question is that this didnt happen with the balls that I was sent early on for review (6-8 months ago), these balls were purchased maybe a month or two ago...

ball1.jpg

ball2.jpg

Ive never cut a ball before, but first or second wedge shots i scuffed them. I went thru a sleeve in 8 holes

WOW, 3 balls in 8 holes.I just played an entire round with 1 ball.Something must be happening

WOW, 3 balls in 8 holes.I just played an entire round with 1 ball.Something must be happening

Thats pretty amazing you could play a whole round with one ball. Soon as I hit a wedge its scuffed up bad.

I can play through 9ish with light scuffs. By 18, it's pretty beat up. This is probably one of the least durable premium balls for me.

sacul dang my pictue wudnt show up right but il repost it lol

and ya i am about to test the penta and z star to see which i like better, just was making a joke haha

but here is what it was
i shook the 8 ball and this is what it said..

I can play through 9ish with light scuffs. By 18, it's pretty beat up. This is probably one of the least durable premium balls for me.

+1 and that makes it less appealing to me

My question to you is-Is this Penta more durable then either of the Prov's?For me it is light years ahead of the prov's in durabililty.

Good question for those that play Prov's, I for one never play them. Id play the Penta scuffed up and torn to hell before playing a Titleist.

I guess it all depends on what kind of wedges you are using and what your swing speed is. I have a driver speed of around 93 MPH and I have played a Penta for about 36 holes and it is still in decent shape. I couple of scuffs on it but no cuts. I do find that the Bridgestone B330 RXS is much better as far as cover wear and tear.

I think its fine off the driver and irons it's just the wedges that are scuffing and messing them up correct?

My question to you is-Is this Penta more durable then either of the Prov's?For me it is light years ahead of the prov's in durabililty.

Actually, I've never played a ProV for more than a hole (as a temporary quick replacement for a lost ball), but have played the Z-Star, B-330 and One-Tours all of which have served me with less noticeable damage after one round.

I have a couple of Pentas in my bag right now that have more than 36 holes each on them. Neither is as bad as those pics show. I keep having to reapply my markings, but the balls just keep on trucking. I haven't actually cut the cover of a ball since the days of Tour Balatas.

I have a penta in my bag that I played for the better part of 7 rounds. It still looked new after three rounds and I put it aside for my emergency ball on the fourth round. Naturally I lost my new ball at the second hole and out came the emergency ball. This happened three more times, each time losing the new ball before the fifth hole. The ball was pretty scuffed after five rounds but it got to be kind of a joke because I couldn't lose it. I finally permanently retired it after seven rounds when my buddies gave me so much grief for playing such a ratty ball. But for most of four rounds it still looked new. My pro vs and bridgestone b330s' would usually get scuffed during one round. I'm now working on my third round with a yellow srixon, and it looks fresh out of the box also.

I'm wondering if TM changed the hardness of the cover, or the composition, or something? Just seems weird that some people are seeing ALOT of scuffing/cutting, and others are seeing nothing... I'm sure every person is unique, but still, I have to think a 12 handicapper like Fourputt is putting some pretty good wedge strikes on the ball, yet he is not seeing what I have on my balls after only a few wedge stikes...

I get scuffing on my Penta, but usally only after I hit a low-penetrating pitch.

Speaking of comparing the scuffing to Pro Vs; I played 9 holes today with a Prov1. I did not have the same scuffing, but unforunately none of the holes called for the low-driving pitch. So I cannot make a comparison form today. Generally though, and based off of largely anecdotal evidence, I think the Penta scuffs a bit more. But I like the ball much better, so it is a minor inconvenience to me.

i just don't have any durability issues with the penta. i buy them a sleeve at a time and i'm still on my first sleeve. i've lost one in about 4 months and am still playing with the other two. i have some minimal marks on the ball but nothings cut or shredded a bit. who knows?

I'm wondering if TM changed the hardness of the cover, or the composition, or something? Just seems weird that some people are seeing ALOT of scuffing/cutting, and others are seeing nothing... I'm sure every person is unique, but still, I have to think a 12 handicapper like Fourputt is putting some pretty good wedge strikes on the ball, yet he is not seeing what I have on my balls after only a few wedge stikes...

I asked them this and their answer was a definite no. Nothing has changed.

i just don't have any durability issues with the penta. i buy them a sleeve at a time and i'm still on my first sleeve. i've lost one in about 4 months and am still playing with the other two. i have some minimal marks on the ball but nothings cut or shredded a bit. who knows?

Im with you, I have not noticed anything significant and I have been testing brand new wedges. Compared to the ProV1s, I think the durability is outstanding. Its important to note that just about all premium tour level balls will scuff. A price we pay for the softer cover.

They scuff pretty quickly for me, but that goes with using a softer ball. I was a bit surprised when a few started to show stress rings in spots. Only noticed it on two so far, but I'm certainly not a big hitter and don't remember hitting any cart paths.

I used Prov1's yesterday and they scuff too.

minor scuffing is something that i expect out of all golf balls. the penta has showed me nothing that concerns me about durability.

Back