JR

Reaction score
Handicap
I have a lot of difficulty striking my 3 and 4 irons. I can hit my mid irons with increasing consistency and distance, and my short irons are exactly where I want them, with the 9 iron going about 140, and 7 going around 160.

However, my 3 iron only goes about 150, at best. I try to swing smoothly and slowly, but I just can't seem to iron out my problems. I think I must have a problem at the impact position. I am unable to upload any videos, as I am without a video camera. Do you have any drills that could help me out?

I also have trouble with my driver. I have started to straighten it out, but it is still far too inconsistent. I hit it at most 220 yards, but I feel Like i should be hitting much farther based on some of my iron distances. I have swapped to a driver with an average flex, but no gains. Any ideas?

Thanks,
aggro

Last edited:
replace em with hybrids! lol best thing i ever did! sold my 4 iron for 80 bucks and bought 3 and 4 hybrid, so much easier to hit! :banana:

replace em with hybrids! lol best thing i ever did! sold my 4 iron for 80 bucks and bought 3 and 4 hybrid, so much easier to hit! :banana:

I find it very difficult to hit any of the woods, or the hybrid I have off of the deck. Now this may be because they are low quality pieces of junk that come from $100 sets, but I have never been able to do it.

I did have considerably more success with my friends Ping and Cobra Fairway metals, so maybe I need to stop buying garbage.

no such thing as a fairway metal lol its either woods or hybrids haha but fairway woods are usually harder to hit off the ground hybrids are easy.. you need to invest in a good hybrid you wont be disappointed. they get the ball up real high and easy to hit off the ground.. there are alot of taylormade burners on ebay right now that are used for like 40-60 bucks and there really good hybrids..

Remember, this is the Ask The Pro section. Let's keep it clean until he has a chance to answer.

i have been talking to him through private messages and i was just messing with him on this... sorry.

Aggro this is a very common problem with golfers of every level. There is no secret to playing long irons, they are just that hard to hit. One thing people don't realize is that todays 3 iron is very close to the old 1 iron that was common in the bag 10-15 years ago. Part of my fitting process is to see what is the longest club in a players bag that still gives them a playable launch angle and spin rate. The average person I work with falls somewhere between a 6 iron and a 4 iron. I don't have a magic answer for this...your best bet is to see what is the longest iron in the bag you hit well and anything longer than that replace with hybrids or fairway woods.

Alright, thanks. I guess I am gonna pull the 3 whe I upgrade

Back