Fairway Metals or Woods?

andimetrum

Impervious to calculation
Reaction score
Handicap
no such thing as a fairway metal lol its either woods or hybrids haha...

Okay, so I noticed that bridges was lol'in on someone because they used the term fairway metal. This was the original term for them, and is what they were known as when they were introduced in the late 70's. Now, surely bridges knows that TaylorMade designed and produced the first OEM metal fairway clubs and gave us the term metalwood.

Over the course of time I suppose the buying public became lazy and decided to use the old standard term of "wood" instead (I fall into this group).

I know that most announcers on T.V. will call them metals from time to time, especially during the European broadcasts, but I was just wondering how many THP'ers still call them "metals"?

haha i was just messing with you! and just because i have taylormade clubs doesnt mean i researched the history about them lol but i didnt know that, guess i learned something today about taylormade.. i will still call them woods or hybrids though..

I don't. They are woods to me. They need to stop calling hybrids "rescue" clubs too.

While we're at it, irons aren't made of iron anymore either and yet we still call them irons!

Last edited:
Woods. I've got woods sounds much better than I've got fairway metals

Definitely woods and hybrids. Although I guess back in the late 80's I called them metalwoods, since a lot of people still had wooden woods.

at the moment I call my 3 wood $%#*&@#!!!!

I hate the word Fwy Metal.It's still a wood,even though it might be made out of metal.No reason to add the word metal in describing it.We already know it's metal.

I call them woods but if someone else calls them a fairway metal, I still know what they are talking about. I think the term is now interchangeable. It is kind of like when I go to the Krystals and order a sack of sliders. I still get my tiny tasty burgers, even though that is what they call them over at the White Castle.

Gavin, he was lolin me. lol
I call them by whatever suits me at the time, usually I say wood, but I am Known to say metal.

As much trouble as he has had in recent years with his driver, I'm not sure you can go by that, lol

Gavin, he was lolin me. lol
I call them by whatever suits me at the time, usually I say wood, but I am Known to say metal.

i thot it was you who i did it to but wasnt sure haha guess he thought i was bashing you and not just messing around..
that stuff shud get to you on thursday or friday..

i thot it was you who i did it to but wasnt sure haha guess he thought i was bashing you and not just messing around..
that stuff shud get to you on thursday or friday..

Yeah, no hard feelings at all. Jerk. :D

I know! That's why I said that he was lol'in you! See:

Honestly, I wasn't trying to jump on Bridges' case... I was just curious about the metal / wood terms.

its cool no worries... i just had been talking to aggro the last few days and was just giving him a hard time..

as you can see by the sig I dont use either. but I refer to them as fairway woods and hybrids

as you can see by the sig I dont use either. but I refer to them as fairway woods and hybrids

dude...wait...you you don't play any fairway woods? a 2iron?? thats baller

I just now noticed that. Dang.... You can hit a 2 iron!?!?!?!?!?!?!? I cant even hit a 4 lol

I know its crazy but I cant hit a 3 wood to save my life and only tried hitting hybrids for a few rounds with no luck. so then I got the 2 iron on the bay to match my iron set, now its my go to club, I have alot of confidence in her now and use it on the fairway or off the beaten path to get back on the fairway. I am seroiusly thinking of getting some Nickent hybrids in the next few months probably a 3h and a 4h but the 2 iron will always stay in my bag. I'll put some pics up of her soon

dude...wait...you you don't play any fairway woods? a 2iron?? thats baller

I just now noticed that. Dang.... You can hit a 2 iron!?!?!?!?!?!?!? I cant even hit a 4 lol

ok here she is, alot of times I would actually hit it off the tee cause my old driver deserted me months ago. (bannana slice) but now I have the Edge so the 2 iron is off tee duty.

P1000145.jpg

P1000146.jpg

P1000148.jpg

ok I'm done thread jacking, sorry Gavin! :act-up:

Back